Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-26-2019, 01:11 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: Cummins 5.9 24v
Rated Cap: 54 passenger
From the "no stupid questions" file

I'm trying to narrow down my layout options and wondering which side of the bus should the shore power connection on. All of my camping has been with a van and a tent so I don't really pay attention to where the outlets are.

Also wondering which side is more common for water connections, both incoming and outgoing.

Hopefully the passenger side because it looks like that's the side my shower will be on.

JDSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 02:03 PM   #2
Skoolie

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: GA39530
Engine: DT466E 215hp 620tq
Rated Cap: 40
30' fe

I have a 30' FE and put the water and power inlet on the drivers side about 6 ft from the bumper.

The Propane tank is on the passenger side and the house batteries are just behind the front axle and the grey water tank is also on the drivers side.
FamilyCircus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 05:17 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1971
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International Loadstar 1700
Engine: 345 international V-8
Generally drivers side. However for electric it is easy enough to run the cord under or around to get to it.
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 05:28 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Thomas 4 window w/lift
Chassis: G30~Chevy cutaway
Engine: 5.7/350 Chevy Vortec
Rated Cap: Just me and my "stuff"?
Most if not all commercially sold campers and RV's have utility connections on the driver side. Gray/black tank drains on that side as well.
Assuming for ease of connection in campgrounds.

You could certainly do either side, bearing in mind that if going to campgrounds on a frequent basis, you might have to move your rig accordingly...
peteg59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 05:46 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Campgrounds usually have the hook ups on the driver side. If yours are on the passenger side, it's only 8' more cord you need. Most have much longer cords so it's not an issue. Same with a hose for water hook ups.
Old 12-26-2019, 06:00 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
Campgrounds usually have the hook ups on the driver side. If yours are on the passenger side, it's only 8' more cord you need. Most have much longer cords so it's not an issue. Same with a hose for water hook ups.
Same for your sewer hose.

I have had to deal with badly placed sewer drains that caused me to need 20'+ of sewer hose. Real PITA for me.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 06:28 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
Same for your sewer hose.

I have had to deal with badly placed sewer drains that caused me to need 20'+ of sewer hose. Real PITA for me.
The sewer hose is not used in a camp space though, right?
Old 12-26-2019, 08:47 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Yes . Each camp space normally has a sewer hose hookup. Except for tent camping spots.
Old 12-26-2019, 08:49 PM   #9
Bus Crazy

I would add that truck stops that have dump stations are on the drivers side and are not convenient to go through the other way.
Old 12-26-2019, 10:31 PM   #10
Bus Nut

[QUOTE=Ronnie;365298]I would add that truck stops that have dump stations are on the drivers side and are not convenient to go through the other way.[/QUOTE

Thanks for the replies y'all. I think I was mostly wondering about the drain. Walking my bus again today I had no problem with the fill hose and the electric on the driver's side. My shower is on the passenger side though, I think, and at the rear of the bus. I want the grey tank right below it.

Seems a bit difficult to run a drain line across the chassis from the shower to the grey tank and still keep a good slope. But I haven't been underneath enough to measure it out.

I'm still very early in the planning stage.
Old 12-27-2019, 01:47 AM   #11
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: MVP ER
Engine: CAT 3126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie View Post
I would add that truck stops that have dump stations are on the drivers side and are not convenient to go through the other way.
Interesting. Every coach I've seen and worked on thus far has had the toilet tank on the passenger rear corner. The dump stations at the two shops I've worked at are also designed with this mind. I have always wondered what happens if the toilet becomes full out on the road. I guess stopping at a truck stop is not an option in that case.

Valuable information none the less, thank you.
Truthseeker4449 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 02:47 AM   #12
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truthseeker4449 View Post
Interesting. Every coach I've seen and worked on thus far has had the toilet tank on the passenger rear corner. The dump stations at the two shops I've worked at are also designed with this mind. I have always wondered what happens if the toilet becomes full out on the road. I guess stopping at a truck stop is not an option in that case.

Valuable information none the less, thank you.

That's because coaches usually dump at their yards, not at truck stops. As such, the yards are set up accordingly, also coach restrooms are usually located on the right/"passenger" side and it makes little sense to route the waste to the left side.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 09:16 AM   #13
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDSquared View Post

Thanks for the replies y'all. I think I was mostly wondering about the drain. Walking my bus again today I had no problem with the fill hose and the electric on the driver's side. My shower is on the passenger side though, I think, and at the rear of the bus. I want the grey tank right below it.

Seems a bit difficult to run a drain line across the chassis from the shower to the grey tank and still keep a good slope. But I haven't been underneath enough to measure it out.

I'm still very early in the planning stage.

Our grey tank is on the passenger side. I run the stinky slinky hose under and across the bus to the dump side. I think we've got a 15' hose? I've got a 10' extension just in case but I've only had to use it once or twice. If you need to put the drain on the passenger side, I say go ahead and do it and run the drain hose under and across when you need to dump.
Old 12-27-2019, 09:32 AM   #14
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Bru View Post
Our grey tank is on the passenger side. I run the stinky slinky hose under and across the bus to the dump side. I think we've got a 15' hose? I've got a 10' extension just in case but I've only had to use it once or twice. If you need to put the drain on the passenger side, I say go ahead and do it and run the drain hose under and across when you need to dump.
I guess I hadn't thought about a flexible hose. Not a longer one anyway. That could work.
Old 12-27-2019, 09:50 AM   #15
Bus Crazy

Quote:
I guess I hadn't thought about a flexible hose. Not a longer one anyway. That could work.
I just checked and our normal hose is 15', the extension is 10'. It's not too much of a hassle to empty, really. I pull up as close as possible to the dump station, hook it up to the grey tank, toss it under the bus to the other side then put the business end into the dump station and go back to the passenger side and open the valve. It's a little fiddly but then so is everything else in bus life. People really don't like when you pull into the dump station the wrong way and I've been chewed out for it...but it does make it more convenient.
Old 12-27-2019, 09:59 AM   #16
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: MCI
Chassis: 102 EL3
Engine: DD 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad_SwiftFur View Post
That's because coaches usually dump at their yards, not at truck stops. As such, the yards are set up accordingly, also coach restrooms are usually located on the right/"passenger" side and it makes little sense to route the waste to the left side.
Just adding a wee bit of clarification here. The "coaches" mentioned are the type that haul people for a living. A coach that has been converted for RV style living has typical RV type tanks and connect/dump/fill location (drivers side).
JDOnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 10:04 AM   #17
Bus Nut

Quote:
I just checked and our normal hose is 15', the extension is 10'. It's not too much of a hassle to empty, really. I pull up as close as possible to the dump station, hook it up to the grey tank, toss it under the bus to the other side then put the business end into the dump station and go back to the passenger side and open the valve. It's a little fiddly but then so is everything else in bus life. People really don't like when you pull into the dump station the wrong way and I've been chewed out for it...but it does make it more convenient.
Quote:
People really don't like when you pull into the dump station the wrong way and I've been chewed out for it...but it does make it more convenient.
Yeah I've noticed at campgrounds we can usually get it from either direction. But it looked like you're supposed to pull up on the driver side. Which prompted my question.

I think I'll actually be in the very back of the bus. I have a lot of room to drain the kitchen sink along the chassis to get back there. Then I wouldn't even be fussing with the hose crawling under the bus except under the rear door and maybe a tow bar
Old 12-27-2019, 11:07 AM   #18
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Yeah I've noticed at campgrounds we can usually get it from either direction. But it looked like you're supposed to pull up on the driver side. Which prompted my question.

I think I'll actually be in the very back of the bus. I have a lot of room to drain the kitchen sink along the chassis to get back there. Then I wouldn't even be fussing with the hose crawling under the bus except under the rear door and maybe a tow bar
Our is also in the very back of the bus, well behind the wheels. I don't have to crawl under the bus at all, just toss it under to the other side...even when hitched up to the towed. The key is to pull up so the dump valve is in line with the dump station. If the campground has double dumps (they're supposed to be accessed via the driver's side) sometimes I'll pull up the wrong way if I'm just dumping and not filling with water.
Old 12-27-2019, 12:17 PM   #19
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
I expect the reason for hook ups being on the drivers side is to help prevent people from backing over the service connections while parking. I have 3 holding tanks ( 2 grey and one black) on my little bus--one of which requires a lift pump to drain into the other grey tank. My holding tanks were all "free to me" so I worked with what I had. This left me with the final drain outlet on the passenger side. I went with a macerator pump and a 5/8" dedicated garden hose so dumping is never a problem and hook up and clean up take only a few seconds.
Jack

ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 03:55 PM   #20
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Sewer hose is used EVERYWHERE you dump.

I am a pretty laid back sort but if I see someone dumping on the ground we are going to have a problem.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote