Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 09-06-2019, 09:07 AM   #1
New Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 3
Front or Rear engine and why?? About to pull the trigger

I am wanting to know which is better... Front or Rear Engine? I already know it will be flat-front, but I want pros/cons for FE/RE please.

I hear that RE is best for interior room and underneath storage/water tanks, etc, but they seem to overheat... Anyone have this problem? Or have you conquered it?
cda3MedicRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 09:27 AM   #2
Bus Crazy
 
brokedown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: St Petersburg, FL
Posts: 2,440
Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
Rear engine buses don't overheat unless they have a fault in the cooling system. You don't get the free blast of air while you drive so where a front engine bus may have a failed fan and stay reasonable just by driving, a rear engine bus will just get hotter and hotter.

With that said, front engine buses have back doors, which may be important to you. Rear engine buses put all the noise and heat at the back, which may be important to you. Rear engine buses seem much easier to work on, front engine buses are usually cheaper. Bigger engines are usually only available in rear engine versions, same with better transmissions. Various pros and cons to each.
__________________
Keep up with us and our build!
Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, and Twitter
brokedown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 09:54 AM   #3
Bus Nut
 
musigenesis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 989
Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokedown View Post
Rear engine buses don't overheat unless they have a fault in the cooling system. You don't get the free blast of air while you drive so where a front engine bus may have a failed fan and stay reasonable just by driving, a rear engine bus will just get hotter and hotter.

With that said, front engine buses have back doors, which may be important to you. Rear engine buses put all the noise and heat at the back, which may be important to you. Rear engine buses seem much easier to work on, front engine buses are usually cheaper. Bigger engines are usually only available in rear engine versions, same with better transmissions. Various pros and cons to each.
REs are more difficult to tow with (so I've heard, just repeating CW).
__________________
Rusty 87 build thread
musigenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 10:08 AM   #4
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Hagerstown, MD
Posts: 22
Year: 2001
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: CAT 3126
RE buses don't have a (bus length) driveshaft to contend with...more underbelly storage room.
StatTarget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 10:45 AM   #5
Skoolie
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Lebanon, Indiana
Posts: 164
Coachwork: In the market
Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
REs are more difficult to tow with (so I've heard, just repeating CW).
I think the towing issue may stem from the construction because most RE buses have a sub-frame assembly which carries the engine lower than the main chassis but that sub-frame may not endure the weight, torque, and lateral forces of a trailer if the hitch is affixed directly to it. Instead, an option would be to reinforce the sub-frame or fabricate another assembly which transfers the hitch load back to the main chassis frame - but of course the dang engine is still in the way! Its doable but not 'plug-n-play' like many might think.
Sehnsucht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 11:39 AM   #6
New Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 3
I have heard this about towing... I will be towing my car, so I will have to look at this.

I do like the idea of a second door for safety reasons.
cda3MedicRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 11:46 AM   #7
Skoolie
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Lebanon, Indiana
Posts: 164
Coachwork: In the market
Quote:
Originally Posted by cda3MedicRN View Post
I have heard this about towing... I will be towing my car, so I will have to look at this.

I do like the idea of a second door for safety reasons.
RE buses still have at least a second door but its on the side usually approximately midway between the axles.
Sehnsucht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 12:14 PM   #8
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Eastern WA
Posts: 5,011
Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
REs are more difficult to tow with (so I've heard, just repeating CW).
I towed over 200k miles over six years with an RE. The only problem I had was the vehicle I was towing got VERY dirty.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 12:17 PM   #9
Bus Geek
 
o1marc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Dawsonville, Ga.
Posts: 7,551
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Biggest difference is rear access door, engine noise difference, available floor space for build out.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 01:07 PM   #10
Skoolie
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Olathe, Kansas
Posts: 162
Year: 1990
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: 6-71TA
Rated Cap: 90
There is the 3rd option of a midship Bus which has it's pros over the other two but also it's cons to the other two. Always good to have options
GWRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:33 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.