Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-10-2018, 04:59 PM   #21
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: HDX
Engine: Cat C7
Rated Cap: 84 passenger
01marc, take your VIN to a Freightliner dealership. They can punch in that number and find out the capacity of your fuel tank. It'll probably be a 100 gallon fuel. tank.

As for fueling at a truck stop, the truck islands have high-volume pumps. You WILL have to start the pumps by going inside first, and tell the fuel desk that you're fueling a school bus. Start by turning on the left side pump, but DO NOT place the nozzle on the ground. Instead, place it on top of the pump; THEN start the satellite pump (the one on the passenger side). Clean your windshield while fueling. Then, replace the satellite nozzle, then the driver's side nozzle, pull forward so the truck behind you can fuel, and go inside and pay.

CaptSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 05:27 PM   #22
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
As a professional driver, I visit truck stops regularly. Personally, for my own bus, I'd visit whatever place has the cheapest fuel (but still a reputable name). Wal-Mart, QuikTrip, Racetrac, or whatever. Use phone apps for finding cheap fuel. Google Maps will often show fuel prices when running an appropriate search (you may have to check the details of each station, as it often shows the regular unleaded price). I would not hesitate to enter the truck stop pumps backwards, either by looping around (if it's not busy), or backing through (if it is busy and I'm comfortable with doing so.)
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 05:31 PM   #23
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptSquid View Post
01marc, take your VIN to a Freightliner dealership. They can punch in that number and find out the capacity of your fuel tank. It'll probably be a 100 gallon fuel. tank.

As for fueling at a truck stop, the truck islands have high-volume pumps. You WILL have to start the pumps by going inside first, and tell the fuel desk that you're fueling a school bus. Start by turning on the left side pump, but DO NOT place the nozzle on the ground. Instead, place it on top of the pump; THEN start the satellite pump (the one on the passenger side). Clean your windshield while fueling. Then, replace the satellite nozzle, then the driver's side nozzle, pull forward so the truck behind you can fuel, and go inside and pay.
I was going to say you are late to the party, but I checked here and see it's in another thread where it was discussed getting build sheets or line tickets. I contacted Thomas and asked and within 24 hrs. had the build sheet of every single part in my bus, including the 100 gallon tank.
Don't have my bus in front of me yet (3 more days), but assume from the talk that the fill spout is on the passenger side?
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 05:46 PM   #24
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
Don't have my bus in front of me yet (3 more days), but assume from the talk that the fill spout is on the passenger side?
That's the most usual location, typically a foot or two behind the entry door.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 06:06 PM   #25
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad_SwiftFur View Post
That's the most usual location, typically a foot or two behind the entry door.
I went and looked at the pics of the side of the bus, no fuel door in front, it's 4' behind the rear wheel.
Attached Thumbnails
20180307_172253.jpg  
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote