Old 03-24-2011, 10:05 AM   #11
Bus Crazy
Send a message via AIM to Steve
Re: Fuel tank for black water

There is actual products for sale for sealing tanks. They are for old rusty tanks in classic cars that seals them and keeps the gas from rusting them anymore. Look up Gas Tank Sealer. The coating is probably resistant to sewage.
View my 1972 Ward: Topic from the Build : The Picture Gallery
View my 1986 Blue Bird: Topic from the Build : The Picture Gallery
View my 1960 GMC: Topic from the Build : The Picture Gallery
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 09:25 PM   #12
Year: 1997
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E/Allison pusher
Rated Cap: 79

the sealer would help the problem of electrolysis . as for the bedliner idea, also would help. I would contact the manufacturers of these products and voice your concerns to them. they will be happy to help since they are always looking to further there products uses, its just good business. good luck let us all know there answer
gseufzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 01:30 AM   #13
Year: 92
Coachwork: ward flat nose
Chassis: international
Engine: dt466 mt643 air ride
Rated Cap: 84

sewage makes a sulfuric acid that eats everything but plastic, brass, copper and gold so unless you keep your steel tank sparkling clean it will be full of holes in no time. My brother used to vacuum out the sewers and we were all surprised how much stuff you find down there, lots of gold too. sportyrick

Couldn't you pour in a box of Arm & Hammer after each dumping to neutralize the acid formation and help hold the odor down? I know it works great for spilled battery acid, and I don't believe our bodies are producing anything that strong.
kotflb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 07:21 PM   #14
Bus Crazy
Year: 1993
Coachwork: Ward Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/MT643
Rated Cap: 77

Originally Posted by bluebird90
Thanks for the input. I'm thinking of using the round tanks off a medium duty truck. I have one round thats about 40 gal.
If you go to a truck junkyard, you can get tanks, saddles and all for fairly cheap. The benefit of round tanks it the debris flows to the center and out.
Many trucks use oval or rectangualr tanks now...the Freightliner I drive has a pair of rectangular 50-gallon fuel tanks. I think FL started using them around 2000.
Optimism is a mental disorder.
Jarlaxle is offline   Reply With Quote