Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-28-2008, 02:35 PM   #1
Skoolie

Fuel Tank Mounting

Okay so I'm about to mount a secondary fuel tank underneath the bus. It is an old 60gal school bus tank. Have some stuff to do it ghetto style but don't want to take the risk with 60gal of veggie oil on the interstate. Does anyone have any ideas or know where to find metal DOT tank straps? Been looking and calling but don't seem to have any luck.

Old 05-30-2008, 12:15 PM   #2
Skoolie

Re: Fuel Tank Mounting

It's a 60 gallon rectangular school bus tank. I have some ghetto rig stuff but If decided to get something designed for the job, maybe even DOT approved. 500 pounds of grease sliding down the interstate seems a little dangerous. The only thing is if the the supports on the floor can hold the weight properly. Otherwise I'm not sure how to mount it to the frame.
Old 05-30-2008, 03:13 PM   #3
Bus Nut

I bought a 90 gallon tank a few years ago that I've never gotten around to mounting it, but what I planned to do was using threaded rods with metal cross pieces below the tank to mount it. I got the idea from Seanf check out this link... http://seanf.smugmug.com/gallery/1286962_Ve2WN

Don't know if that would work for you or not...

Otherwise would it fit between the frame? I was thinking about mounting the tank I got between the frame rails behind the rear axle (ortherwise the driveshaft would be in my way)
Old 05-30-2008, 05:01 PM   #4
Bus Nut

As Phil said all-thread and angle-iron is plenty strong and it is readily available at Lowe's or Home Depot. Heavy braided nylon tow-strap also comes to mind.
Abbott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 09:42 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Don't fool around with the tank mounting, if you ever get a DOT inspection you'll have your hands full!! You can buy the proper stuff from ANY truck dealer (Mack, Frieghtliner, Sterling etc)...

Basically you'll need 3 items (in pairs)... A pair of tank brackets, if it's a square tank then they will be "L" brackets, if it is a round tank it'll be a quarter round bracket. Next would be a pair tank straps, and to go with that you want a pair of tank strap insulatores (rubber strips that fit the strap.

Tank straps will look like THESE THINGS except just get plain black ones, chrome ones will be very costly!!

The end product would like something like THIS

The bracket holds the weight, the straps hold the tank to the bracket.

You just might be a Redneck if...
...your motor home used to be a school bus!
...Your living room has a steering wheel!
...Your home has brake lights

1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1989 Thomas Diesel Pusher (Cat 3208/Freightliner)
Chesapeake, Virginia
GoneCamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 09:48 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Oh, if you can't find them anywhere else, then provide me with the tanks outside measurements and I'll see what we have in stock (I work for a Ford/Sterling dealer in the Parts dept)... Sometimes we have tank brackets that get thrown in the scrap pile because of a rust spot or a chip or something from a new truck and it gets replaced under warranty... perfectly good otherwise. These are rare but I've had them set aside before. I also see you posted that you have rectangular tanks, and these are more available than the round ones...

You just might be a Redneck if...
...your motor home used to be a school bus!
...Your living room has a steering wheel!
...Your home has brake lights

1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1989 Thomas Diesel Pusher (Cat 3208/Freightliner)
Chesapeake, Virginia
GoneCamping is offline   Reply With Quote