Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-09-2018, 12:07 PM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 2002
Coachwork: American Transportation Corp
Chassis: International 3000
Engine: International T 444E
Rated Cap: 71 pass., 12 window
Full Bathroom VS. Separate Shower

Hi!

I've seen skoolie pics where some bathrooms have it all-in-one... toilet, sink and shower. Others have the shower "across the hall" on the other side of the bus.

For those of you who have your conversions done. Do you prefer one bathroom over the other? I know it's obviously personal preference, but I'm curious if anyone is really like "WOW, this set up is just fantastic! And, this is why..."

Thanks much!

Trail Fairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 01:37 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trail Fairy View Post
Hi!

I've seen skoolie pics where some bathrooms have it all-in-one... toilet, sink and shower. Others have the shower "across the hall" on the other side of the bus.

For those of you who have your conversions done. Do you prefer one bathroom over the other? I know it's obviously personal preference, but I'm curious if anyone is really like "WOW, this set up is just fantastic! And, this is why..."

Thanks much!
I like a separate shower. Sucks when you need to use the toilet and someone's showering with it.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 02:36 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: International
Chassis: 3000RE
Engine: T444E w/ MT643
Rated Cap: 84 pass, 40'
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
I like a separate shower. Sucks when you need to use the toilet and someone's showering with it.
I have heard some people with a composting toilet store it in the shower when they aren't showering. I'm considering that, although I figured I'd have a closet area that we could MAKE into a toilet area if we went with a plumbed toilet at some point. Or the next owner wanted to. We live out West and with drought being common, flush toilets just don't make sense here. The only reason I would do one in the short term would be inability to get insurance (liability or roadside assistance) because of weird rules that seem to exist some places for no reason that I can understand. Actually I would like either a diverter that sends pee to a gray tank OR possibly a second 5 gallon bucket for pee.
Old 07-09-2018, 02:43 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
I have had both and do prefer a separate W/C.

However on my new bus, due to space constraints, I will be putting the toilet and shower in one room and there will not be a bathroom sink.

I have seen some that used a conventional RV or marine toilet and mounted it permanently in the shower. You stand next to it or straddle it when you shower.

Space efficient but a little extreme for me.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 03:58 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Just the two of us.
I had a ****'n'shower in a travel trailer and hated it. toilet was always wet and there wasn't enough room in the shower.

Quote:
I have heard some people with a composting toilet store it in the shower when they aren't showering. I'm considering that, although I figured I'd have a closet area that we could MAKE into a toilet area if we went with a plumbed toilet at some point.
I haven't researched them because I wouldn't want one but, I'm pretty sure the composting toilets are permanently mounted with some sort of exhaust fan. Unless you are using a bucket and kitty litter, I guess you could set that anywhere. I lived in a semi for twenty years, don't like having to move something so I can do something. For same reason I want big spaces in my bus.

Quote:
We live out West and with drought being common, flush toilets just don't make sense here.
RV toilets use very little water. For liquid probably less than a pint a bit more for solids maybe 2 to 3 pints.

Quote:
pee to a gray tank
Pee is black water, human waste. Sink and shower are gray water.
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 04:04 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2martins View Post
I have heard some people with a composting toilet store it in the shower when they aren't showering. I'm considering that, although I figured I'd have a closet area that we could MAKE into a toilet area if we went with a plumbed toilet at some point. Or the next owner wanted to. We live out West and with drought being common, flush toilets just don't make sense here. The only reason I would do one in the short term would be inability to get insurance (liability or roadside assistance) because of weird rules that seem to exist some places for no reason that I can understand. Actually I would like either a diverter that sends pee to a gray tank OR possibly a second 5 gallon bucket for pee.
I don't believe that there is "a rule" that you have to have a toilet at all. If you have at least 4 of the 6 items in your bus they can't say anything about your toilet.

Many compost toilets pee diverter direct it into a gallon milk jug, put a cap on it and dispose.
My plan includes a full bathroom with a separate shower on one end and the toilette opposite end and a sink in between. Shower will have a door or curtain to contain the water from the rest of the bathroom.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 04:28 PM   #7
Skoolie

This is very helpful everyone. I was originally thinking similar to what 01marc was mentioning about having everything in the "bathroom" (on the driver side for ease of plumbing hook up at RV/camp-grounds) but having the shower with a curtain so the toilet's not getting wet. However, now that we are figuring the kitchen countertop location, I see how the wheel wells are really... um... shall we say "inconvenient." And, they're really eating space where I would like the bathroom to go. Just pondering about putting part of the bathroom across the hall... sorta where the bunk beds were going... I just need to flatten the wheel wells, lol.
Old 07-09-2018, 04:46 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Mine is 40', by putting my "garage" in the back 8' it leaves the rear wheel humps right under the bunkbeds. Loose a little storage but you have make do with what you have. The cabinet for the sink could be mounted over the humps
Old 07-09-2018, 05:07 PM   #9
Skoolie

01marc, yes, it's like a creativity test, haha. That's sounds like a roomy garage, nice. How many people can your bus sleep? I was planning on 4. Either a double in the back (hence, no garage) and then one set of bunk beds. Or, 2 sets of bunk beds flanking either side in the back. Hook our bikes on the outer side of the backdoor. Haven't thought that through completely. Trying to hurry and get the minimum in the vehicle to register it as RV, use it with friends the first weekend of August, then rip out the rest of the seats and move the kitchen countertop forward and install the floor. Trying to not make too much more work than we have to.
Old 07-09-2018, 05:20 PM   #10
Bus Geek

I'll be able to sleep 6, 4 in bunks in the back and the dining table seats will convert to a full size for a cozy couple.
Look at this bathroom and try and picture the shower to the left of the door and a sink where the toilet paper is. I see where some have put in a 30" shower and then on the opposite wall start the counter top at an angle reducing it to the width of standard cabinets.
Attached Thumbnails
bath.jpg  
Old 07-09-2018, 05:47 PM   #11
Bus Crazy

Year: 1971
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International Loadstar 1700
Engine: 345 international V-8
In our camper we have the toilet in the shower, and you basically sit on the toilet to shower. One must get undressed outside the "bathroom" as everything gets wet. So not good when we have friends with us. Everyone naked now show time.... or send them outside. so for the bus it is a full bathroom, sink, toilet and shower stall in the bathroom but with shower curtains to keep water in the shower only. The bathroom sink is partly over the wheel well. Kitchen sink is over the other half the wheel well. Closet space on the other side over the wheel well.

We are setting it up for 4 people. Bedroom in the back, and living room in front with a futon
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 06:17 PM   #12
Bus Nut

Year: 1990
Chassis: Ford
Engine: 6.6 New Holland Diesel
Rated Cap: 60 kids, 10 window
Mine will have the shower and toilet separate for spacing reasons. I'd prefer them in the same room but the space doesn't work out for that.
Old 07-09-2018, 08:11 PM   #13
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
No other options in a 21 foot long shorty. Shower and sh^tter have to share the same space.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 08:43 PM   #14
Skoolie

Omg, you guys are funny. Cute bathroom pic, 01marc. I like that idea. I really need to think about these window wells. Ronnie, I'll look into planning more with sinks over window wells. Or closet space. I had thought maybe a bunk could go over one of them, but now that I may get rid of the double bed in the back idea, the bunks would be moved farther back and not on over the window wells. Unless we make a garage, but I really like the idea of being able to use that back emergency door for air flow, emergency, fun, whatever. I really love the sharing of ideas on this site. Everyone has great ideas to mull over!!
Old 07-09-2018, 09:18 PM   #15
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Amtran
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65
Here's what we did, I couldn't get a good angle for a whole bathroom shot but I think it's pretty easy to piece together from this.

The composting toilet is on the wheel well, the shower is a utility sink we picked up on sale. The tub surround, floor, and box in front of the toilet are from an old cedar chest Drew trash picked. The medicine cabinet and shelving are old wine crates we've been using in various ways for the last 20 years.
The entire bathroom is two windows wide and about 40 inches deep.

eta: the shower doubles as a sink
Attached Thumbnails
shower.jpg   toilet.jpg  
Old 07-10-2018, 11:16 AM   #16
Bus Crazy

Love the ceder. The slight bit of green on the right on my photo is the edge of the shower
Attached Thumbnails
20180525_174612.jpg   20180525_174642.jpg  
Old 07-10-2018, 12:14 PM   #17
Skoolie

LOVE the pics Drew Bru and Ronnie!!

I was wondering how I could put a toilet on the wheel well so that pic helped. I wonder if it's possible to have a little step to put the toilet on even if it's non-composting. Or, if we'll have to raise it a bit for the plumbing. Now that could really be a throne, haha.

Ronnie, how big is your bathroom? It looks fairly large. I assumed a bus bathroom would need to be smaller for space sake.
Thanks!!!
Old 07-10-2018, 01:35 PM   #18

Year: n/a
Coachwork: n/a
Chassis: n/a
Engine: n/a
Rated Cap: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
I don't believe that there is "a rule" that you have to have a toilet at all. If you have at least 4 of the 6 items in your bus they can't say anything about your toilet.
In Nevada there is no "4 of 6" criteria, unfortunately. Here they have 5 requirements and you have to meet all 5 to be considered a non-commercial motor home and one of them is a toilet. Personally, I'm going with everything in one room. Since I don't need extra accommodations for kids it's looking like I'll have plenty of room to work with.
Big BackYard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 02:10 PM   #19
Bus Crazy

My bathroom is 3 ft by 5 1/2 ft

Thetford makes a short height rv toilet that is about 8" less tall then a normal toilet. Also either foot pedal flush or a slide handle on the right rear corner. I prefer the slide handle as you can pull it half way to dump, then pull all the way to rinse. So depending on how much of a rinse it needs you can use very little water or more if need be.
Old 07-10-2018, 02:13 PM   #20
Bus Crazy

By the way the picture is of the bus bathroom, not the camper. The camper is a pickup truck slide in camper, tiny....that bathroom is 2 x3 ft with short height toilet because the tank is under it on the floor so it can slide into a pickup without anything hanging down