Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-04-2007, 02:17 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International
Engine: 7.3 International diesel
Rated Cap: 60
Re: Full-Timing

Hey! Looks like you're having a good time! I hope to be a full timer some day down the road. Have you ever thought about installing some water tanks on your bus? Check out Jake Von-Slatt's website at http://www.vonslatt.com. Check out his plumbing section. He bought some huge tanks from http://www.plastic-mart.com. They are out in California. I called them to see how much shipping would be to my house here in Oklahoma. HUNDREDS of dollars! However, they told me that they just opened up a new store in Texas. I can't remember the name of the town, but it's between Ft. Worth and Austin somewhere. He said that they are still getting things up and running, but that in a couple months, they'll be making tanks! I'm going to wait until they do and then I'm going to drive down there and get two of these 95 gallon tanks:
http://www.plastic-mart.com/class.php?item=1291
They are $169 each. I'll use one for fresh water and one for black/gray water. These should fit under just about any bus with room to spare. They will put whatever fittings you want on the tank and do it to your specifications. 95 gallons could last two people for quite a while. I know my wife and I could go two days on 35 gallons in our old travel trailer. Anyways, just a suggestion! I'd hate to be having to run to the bathroom every time I have to drop a deuce. It will be getting cold soon. Running to the bathroom to shower and poop won't be so easy then!

https://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i2...DSC02426-1.jpg
KC10Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 09:13 PM   #2
Bus Nut

I bought a pair of THESE TANKS for Gray & Black tanks...they are made for that purpose, easy to install, cost only $45 each, reasonable shipping cost too. My reasoning is that some campgrounds (in particular the one I'm in right now) requires proper tanks, must have both Black & gray, must have appropriate dump valves etc... I figure if I'm going to do this, I may as well do it right.

As for running gray water onto the ground, that is against the law here in Virginia, so it's not an option. I installed a RV style Thetford Toilet that empties directly into the black tank, and everything else empties into the gray tank.

You just might be a Redneck if...
...your motor home used to be a school bus!
...Your living room has a steering wheel!
...Your home has brake lights

1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1989 Thomas Diesel Pusher (Cat 3208/Freightliner)
Chesapeake, Virginia
GoneCamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 07:11 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International
Engine: 7.3 International diesel
Rated Cap: 60

They probably haven't noticed that he's draining onto the ground! That's illegal here in Oklahoma even! There isn't a whole lot in Oklahoma that's illegal. But you don't kill people, don't drink and drive, don't commit robbery or dump your gray water on the ground! So, I'm guessing that it would be illegal in most other states.
https://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i2...DSC02426-1.jpg
KC10Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 09:37 AM   #4
Skoolie

Year: 1975
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: DD 6-71N

You've got the right idea. Move in and you'll figure out what you need next.
We have traveled in our bus for 4 years (6000+ miles a year). We have done the porta poti / bucket under the sink / find a place to take a shower trip for years. It was wonderful.
This is the first year we have everything actually usable, as in sink, 65 gal graywater tank, tub/shower, 35 gal black water tank, toilet, 95 gal freshwater tank. Now we can live anywhere and wander at will for 2 weeks before worrying where to dump. What that has done to our traveling is even more wonderful. This is probably the least money we have ever spent on a trip. When you stop to go to the bathroom or take a shower it's hard not to spend money.
Good Luck
Jerry
Jerry Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 12:05 AM   #5
Skoolie

Year: 92
Coachwork: ward flat nose
Chassis: international
Engine: dt466 mt643 air ride
Rated Cap: 84

KC10Cheif- there is a place in Shawnee Okla. that makes plastic tanks. I remember b/c I have hauled several loads out of there on my semi. Here is there info:

Norwesco, Inc
201 N Kennedy Ave
Shawnee, OK , 74801-6600
Phone: 405-275-2034
FAX: 405-275-2093

Try them first, it may save you 300 miles.
kotflb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 07:43 AM   #6
Skoolie

Year: 1975
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: DD 6-71N

While we're talking about the shitty side of bus life, I should mention 12 volt macerator pumps.
Where we live in the hills in the north country there's no place to dump my tanks anywhere near we park but there is a septic drainfield about 200 feet away and uphill from us. I paid $269 and whined all the way home from Camping World. It's been 2 years and I haven't used the 3" normal shitter dump tubing yet. It is a very cool thing when visiting friends to be able to dump your tanks 100's of feet away thru a garden hose. Every drainfield has a cleanout. If you plan to go off into the unknown it's a very cool thing to have. Most people in the world out there frown on dumping anything on the ground.
Jerry
Jerry Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote