Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-18-2016, 10:52 AM   #1
Almost There

Future "Pit Crew" bus planning.

I've been lurking unregistered for years. Then finally decided to join and now I'm on the hunt for a bus. Flat front with a wheelchair lift. 35 passenger-ish. Something that doesn't get me booted from restricted areas.

My plan is to have everything I need to to field repairs myself without a mechanic, other than major engine/transmission/rear end issues. Stuff like changing tires/brakes/fuel filters/air filters, etc., if the case need be.

I plan on carrying motorcycles to track days, running 99% boon-docking, and just stopping to empty black/gray tanks.

I also have a plan for storing the extra wheels (2) I plan on bringing. And I already own a gas air compressor with enough CFM to run my 1" impact wrench. And I already have a 20 ton bottle jack. So I basically have everything I need to change the tires, and brake shoes. So I will have spares on board.

As far as generators, I'm planning on figuring out where I'm going to store both of my 3000 watt inverter generators and have one running while driving but keep it protected from the weather / road debris. I know how to weld, and plan on building boxes below the bus between the wheels, and even a few on the back.

Any of you guys do a anything like this?

CaptainHooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 08:54 PM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1998
Engine: 7.3 International T444E
Rated Cap: 72
I am just starting on a similar project, but we will be going full size with light adventure/dual sport bikes for a continental adventure!!!
Please post a build thread, as will I so we can steal good ideas from eachother!!
GarageYourself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 09:49 PM   #3
Skoolie

Year: 1978
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: Lifeguard
Engine: 366 Chevy
I do Standing Mile, Land Speed Racing (LSR), at several runways across the country. I bring spare tires, fuel, miscellaneous engine parts, etc. Just me and whoever I can kidnap to go with me (E.T. can easily sleep 4, 8 if I sling hammock across the garage over an air mattress. We setup camp/pits on the airport taxiway and live on the airfield from Thursday to Sunday. Its so nice to not have to commute from a hotel in town. Also, we probably have more fun after dark than when racing during the day.

My 6.5KW genny is permanently installed - plenty power for AC and most power tools. I even have folks coming over to borrow power tools.

I have a small air compressor and tank separate from the bus systems for airing up tires and short bursts on my air tools. Other equipment I carry: low profile hydraulic jack, bottle jack, 2 scissor jacks, 4 jack stands, race ramps, 2 data computer, and one diagnostic and tuning computer.

One of the great things about the LSR community is although we're fanatically competitive, we also fall all over each other to help out when another racer has a problem.

gizmoq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 10:14 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1984
Engine: 366 Big block Chevy! :) w/ Stick shift
My favorite and most comforting place to be in the rear ten feet of the bus where i made a shop, complete with benches, tools, lights, and a radio.
Carytowncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 11:48 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1998
Engine: 7.3 International T444E
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carytowncat View Post
My favorite and most comforting place to be in the rear ten feet of the bus where i made a shop, complete with benches, tools, lights, and a radio.
Do you have some pictures PLEASE!! Sounds perfect!
GarageYourself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 10:45 AM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Having issues with the IT security here at work, but here is one of my bus set up at the track, kid in the background servicing the dragster;

ok, this is taking forever....I'll try to get more of the bus up in a bit.
Oh yeah, 8.2T with 5spd manual, full motorhome setup (shower/stove/3 way fridge, sleeps 8 (or 4 REAL comfortable). Had 10ft or so added to the back so there is 16ft total of ramp/garage with winch etc. Axles were replaced (10/16 to 12/1 Gets 13mpg at 100km/h at 2500rpm. Rear gear is 5.29 I think?
goinbroke2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 10:52 AM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

OK, so here is the back before I put the toolbox and parts bins in.

And here is looking to the back of the interior, bathroom door is closed, master bed to the rear left.

Looking forward

full side on, I carry spare filters/belts/fire ext/ect in the front compartment and the fuel/oil/spare parts for the dragster in the bigger compartment

And the nose....this is all before I painted the dark grey a lighter shade and this winter I'll probably go light sand/tan colour with stripes like a factory motorhome paintjob.
Old 08-26-2016, 11:09 AM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
thats one nice looking conversion!!
-Christopher
cadillackid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 11:27 AM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks! I wish I could take credit for it but I can't.
Here's the full story;
The original owner needed something to tow his 65 falcon to the track. Got an old 82 (84??) int bus with 392/auto and parked it in his massive garage at work. got a smashed up class a motorhome and parked them side by side. Converted everything over to the bus then towed the old motorhome away. Then parked a 5 ton beside the bus, and proceeded to swap the 8.2T and 5spd manual into it. Then pulled the front and rear axles and swapped in the heavier 5 ton ones.

So, got his motorhome and is towing his 9sec falcon, life is great...then he built a low 9 high 8 sec 98 mustang. Fits of course but now he needs a pit bike and room for other "nice" things at the track. So he sold(gave?) it to his son who raced a bike as well as his granddaughter who runs a junior dragster. Father is now driving a massive class A with a stacker trailer, the son is driving the bus with the bike and junior in it.....then the price of everything in the States (on racingjunk,com) gets dirt cheap and the son now wants a 200mph dragster, finds one with trailer and decides that since it won't fit in the back of the bus, he'll sell the bus, sell his bike, and go get the dragster in Virginia or NH or somewhere. I get the bus FOR A STEAL! He calls the guy for directions after driving 1100 miles and the guys answers the phone with "oh another guy just bought it"
Not happy, he drives back to Canada with money in the bank but nothing to go to the races with.

Bottom line, his misfortune was incredibly good on my part!
So far I added the winch, 3000W inverter, back up camera, other little odds and sods to make my life easier.
I LOVE this bus!!

EDIT: just remembered, I have a second awning to install over the back side door that goes into the "garage". Thinking I might raise the roof over the garage as well down the road...