Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-11-2019, 12:55 PM   #1
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Garage Insulation

I'm considering not insulating the garage floor. There is about a 1.5" transition from the ramp to the floor, If I add the same insulation as the front it would add another 1.5" and be 3" lip to bump over with the bikes. The finished floor will be a poly diamond plate mat glued down. I'll still do the walls and ceiling,but not the floor.
Any thoughts I should be concerned with??

o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 12:56 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Ford
Engine: 6.6 New Holland Diesel
Rated Cap: 60 kids, 10 window
I think it would be fine to not insulate the floor there. Probably better. Less material, less issues if you get a leak in your bike there.
Old 03-11-2019, 02:11 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT466E (195hp, 520tq)
The garage/workshop in the back of our bus will have the original flooring and walls. We did insulate and install wood on the entire roof just because it flowed better. I figure when we are at the races, we'll have the rear door or wheelchair lift open so extra insulation won't do much good. We will insulate the wall between this space and the living quarters well, though.
Old 03-11-2019, 03:50 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Coachwork: Want a Thomas
Rated Cap: want a 30-35 footer
Noise - no, its a garage. Not a problem as long as there's good acoustic insulation between the garage and living space.
Condensation on the cold floor surface? - not a problem if well ventilated which you'd want with gasoline in there anyway. You'd want good air sealing between the garage and living space.
I think I'd worry more about traction, especially if the floor was wet, and wonder if diamond plate is good for that. An epoxy garage floor coating might work well.
semipro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 03:57 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by semipro View Post
Noise - no, its a garage. Not a problem as long as there's good acoustic insulation between the garage and living space.
Condensation on the cold floor surface? - not a problem if well ventilated which you'd want with gasoline in there anyway. You'd want good air sealing between the garage and living space.
I think I'd worry more about traction, especially if the floor was wet, and wonder if diamond plate is good for that. An epoxy garage floor coating might work well.
Not aluminum diamond plate, diamond plate patterned poly rubber mat. Not concerned about noise back there. Pocket door separating the garage, so sealing might be an issue.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote