Old 07-15-2011, 11:11 PM   #11
Bus Nut
Year: 1983
Coachwork: Ward
Chassis: GMC
Engine: 366 Gasser
Rated Cap: 66
Re: Generator help/ opinions of this model

good to know cause I was going to use rotella in it when the time came to change it? I dont mind using higher end products like synthetics but I know most of the newer ones dont have the additives some of the older engines need for wear protection?

Ill have to give it thought.

Yes the manuals are terrible. Even though I have the right ones they dont show some of these conversions (gas to LP) and some of the parts? This wont stop me but may slow me down. Its just makes for a good challenge.

Thanks for your help.

I appreciate it
Here is my school bus conversion thread

Pics of my conversion @ photobucket
bapos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 08:30 PM   #12
Year: 1995
Coachwork: Bluebird, Model 3800
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 42
Re: Generator help/ opinions of this model

Originally Posted by Ascend
yep, the manuals aren't very good. Also, the reason I mention Southern Plains is because they have the cheapest prices on Onamax oil. I've never been one to buy into the whole "this oil is so superious to that oil" but after reading countless examples of Onan owners who swore their gensets wouldn't run right unless they used the onamax I had to try it and my generator definitely ran better than it did with the same weight lucas oil I was using (and I think quite highily of lucas, its all I use in my bikes).
I know my dad loves Husquavarna chainsaws, and from his experience, using the Husquavarna oil makes all the difference on if it's an awesome chainsaw or a dog with no power ...

That said, I have -no- experience with the Onan. I'm only going with the company oil bit for that -one- situation.
Hex is offline   Reply With Quote