Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-10-2011, 03:06 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Chassis: International Amtran RE
Engine: DT466E/MD3060
Rated Cap: 78
Generator help/ opinions of this model

Hey guys

Looks like I have made a deal for a Onan marquis 7000 LP generator. They guys is parting with it cause it has had some sort of regulator issue. He bypassed it so they he could run it for the 4th of July? So instead of fixing it he is upgrading to a larger gas model.

Looked on line to see what reviews it has gotten and didnt find much. Was wondering is people have had any experience with this model? Seems some smaller Onan units do not have spin on oil filters? I looked at this one and it does.

I am going to plan on testing the unit when we meet to exchange.

I am planning on running 2 AC units and this was the size I was hoping to get in to.

Let me know your thoughts.

Bapos

bapos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 05:07 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Re: Generator help/ opinions of this model

I was leary at the price of it (found on craiglslist) but I think it may be the case of a guy with more money than time and just wants to move on to a new unit that is bigger. I think he said it has close to a 1k hours on it.

I dont mind some work and tune but like you I dont want to be married to it. Maintain it and move on. Theres always something to do on a conversion.

Thanks for the input. I didnt know the fuel delivery was so ackward. From what i gather you need several tanks (or a larger horizontal) in parallel to have enough vapor to boil off to feed the system. This is my plan to have (4) 20lb propane tanks all connected. I think it may be over little over kill but better to over do than under do.

Im very worried about Onan. I seem to hear horror stories about the serivce here in the DFW let alone everywhere else.

Ascend did you end up selling yours off?
Old 07-13-2011, 05:53 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Im going to pick up this generator and put my touch on it. He bypassed the regulator and made it run so I think the problem is in that setup. From my reading they have an electronic shut off (when you turn them off) so there are no leaks. So I am a little more at ease on the purchase.

I have a little time to work on it as I am collecting parts and will have it well worked over before it gets mounted in the bus.

Thanks for the input.

Bapos
Old 07-13-2011, 10:41 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

Onan Manuals

You can get a manual at this site. This is where I got my operators manual plus the parts manual for my POS Onan Microlite.
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 08:26 AM   #5
Bus Nut

Again thanks for all the help on this. The goal is to get it going first and stable then move from there. I am hoping its just a regulator but who knows. Ill get a pic of it later on and see what people think. I pretty much know what lornaschinske will be so no mystery there.

This is a bigger piece of my puzzle for me so Im hoping it works out.

If people have pics of thier install to either some under belly storage or installed some other way I would like to see. Im curious as to how much cover it needs and how much ventilation it needs? I am just using common sense here that it would need to be mostly covered cause making power and water (splash from rain on the street) would not be good?

Yeah Im a little lost here but I have time to get my crap straight before we get to moutning and wirirng it in.

Thanks

Bapos
Old 07-14-2011, 11:04 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Ok little update on the generator.

Picked it up this evening. Unit looks in pretty good condition. They have to cut the remote wires for the start for the inside of the coach. Bad thing is... he didnt label what colors go to what pins for the starter switch and hour meter. Its 4 wires and some that are jumpered so it cant be that hard to figure out.

I did hear it run for a second. The sprayed starter fluid in the intake (not real happy about doing that) but it does put some parts to rest, but just cause it makes runs doesnt mean it makes power.

This unit is a gas unit that has been converted to LP. Its a Marquis 7000 gen3 unit. Here is a link to the info on this.......http://www.dieselpartusa.com/pdf/cm-7000.pdf But the specs it is a 1800 rpm unit. So I am happy about this. I am of the mindset that fewer revs means quiet? It had the starter and the govener replaced and only has 8 hrs on it as well as a oil change.

The hour meter shows a little over 1000 hours. Im not being super generator knowledgeable is this a lot of hours on a unit? Not sure how long this will last. I know this varies on maintance but Im curious as to what is a lot and what is not?

Im going to dig in and see what i can do about getting this lit off on the proper fuel.

I did get every manual Onan makes for this..... install, parts, operators, and service. So Im hoping this can hold most of the answers for me.

Any help would be appreciated.

Bapos
Old 07-15-2011, 12:11 AM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

I have a remote Onan switch. Do you think the wiring is the same? I could look and see where the wires are connected to what.
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 06:59 AM   #8
Bus Nut

Lorna

I will post up some pics and let you see what i have and guess from there
Old 07-15-2011, 09:01 AM   #9
Bus Nut

Here is a pic of the unit.

Here is a pic of the regulator which I think is the problem.

Here are a couple pics of the remote and hour meter

Old 07-15-2011, 04:45 PM   #10
Bus Nut

Yeah I know where it is. The tire store I use to work for has a store on Bernard. Hell I was over there on early friday before I went to go pick the generator up? I have heard their service is horrible but I havent heard that about any dealer? But good to know they have decent pricing.

I have every manual they have for this. I cant say they are super well writen.

Bapos
Old 07-15-2011, 11:11 PM   #11
Bus Nut

good to know cause I was going to use rotella in it when the time came to change it? I dont mind using higher end products like synthetics but I know most of the newer ones dont have the additives some of the older engines need for wear protection?

Ill have to give it thought.

Yes the manuals are terrible. Even though I have the right ones they dont show some of these conversions (gas to LP) and some of the parts? This wont stop me but may slow me down. Its just makes for a good challenge.

Thanks for your help.

I appreciate it
Old 07-17-2011, 08:30 PM   #12
Hex
Skoolie

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Bluebird, Model 3800
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascend
yep, the manuals aren't very good. Also, the reason I mention Southern Plains is because they have the cheapest prices on Onamax oil. I've never been one to buy into the whole "this oil is so superious to that oil" but after reading countless examples of Onan owners who swore their gensets wouldn't run right unless they used the onamax I had to try it and my generator definitely ran better than it did with the same weight lucas oil I was using (and I think quite highily of lucas, its all I use in my bikes).
I know my dad loves Husquavarna chainsaws, and from his experience, using the Husquavarna oil makes all the difference on if it's an awesome chainsaw or a dog with no power ...

That said, I have -no- experience with the Onan. I'm only going with the company oil bit for that -one- situation.
Hex is offline   Reply With Quote