Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-24-2007, 02:19 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 90
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Generator install questions!

Woohooo! I am now the proud owner of a brand spankin new Generac 40G with a suspended mount. I bought it from http://www.ecgenerators.com/ and the price and service was excellent. Now I have to strap it on somehow. Actually the generator mounting wont be too much trouble since my bus already has a place at the rear of the drivers side and has a 3' door already installed and the cavity overall is about 6'. I believe this was for spare tire storage originally and it is not boxed in or anything. my question is about mounting a fuel tank and battery. The genset is only 30" long and I could probably install both the fuel tank and battery beside the generator. Is this safe and/or legal? I didn't know if there are certain recommended/mandated distances other than perhaps from the genset or vehicles exaust. As always cost is an issue but so is safety. I dont want some official telling me I have to change it after it is installed.
Also, I haven't bought a fuel tank yet and could use a few ideas on that as well. I was thinking of trying to find a good used one at a salvage yard or something. I want a working fuel gauge for the generator and am also not sure where to find a meter I could use with a automotive fuel tank. In case you were wondering, my generator is gas, my bus is diesel. The diesel gensets cost 3 times as much and this little gas unit only uses .35 gallons a hour at 1/2 load (about what a single a/c uses once started).

Thanks

Excalibrate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 02:56 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03
Have you looked into a fuel cell? They can be had relatively cheap and sending units are pretty universal...none of that fancy stuff on the new cars. Of course a used tank might be cheaper as well. It all depends on your area. The only recommendation I have other than the obvious don't have the exhaust and tank vent meet in the same place is that you keep the battery atleast somewhat insulated. Batteries HATE heat.
Old 04-24-2007, 07:47 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC-2000 Frt Eng, Tranny:MT643
Engine: 5,9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 84

Aftermarket fuel gauges -- Sun, Auto Meter, Stewart Warner etc -- are made to work with "normal"
old-fashioned domestic cars like Ford and Chevy. That does NOT mean that Ford and Chevy
tanks use the same calibration values -- they DON'T. But you can get a nice 2" round
gauge to work with either of those brands of car tanks.

SO LONG AS IT IS AN OLDER CAR. I have no idea what they are using these days. But the
package or the catalog should tell you what fits what.

You can also buy sending units to install in a custom tank -- with that same old Ford
or Chevy calibration.

Elliot Naess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 09:46 AM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1976
Coachwork: bluebird
Chassis: F33695
Engine: 427 chevy converted to 466
Rated Cap: 84
gas tank

Over the road reefers use a cute little round tank and the gauge is built in aready! You might try a boat place, the tanks are usually square or rectangular, baffled, have a float/sending unit built right in that is compatable with regular auto electrical systems and sometimes a very good way to fill/vent them to atmosphere. Remember that all liquid tanks get strapped in, never mounted permanently (welded). sportyrick
sportyrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 02:34 PM   #5
Skoolie

I am planning on finding an IH scout tank (19 gallons), that doesnt leak, and using it. Although, if I come across a square tank of some type around 20 gallons or so, I'll use that one.
eggman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 09:37 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03
There are still Scout parts around? A Scout might be the only thing that rivals a Toyota in the rust department.
Old 04-25-2007, 10:18 PM   #7
Skoolie

Oh yea, a friend of mine ha s33-35 of them in various states o fdis-repair. It makes getting parts easier.
eggman is offline   Reply With Quote