Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-22-2011, 01:15 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1989
Coachwork: bluebird
Chassis: pusher
Engine: 8.2L detroit
Rated Cap: 66
generator on the roof???

I know this is not a new post and there are probably a lot of threds out there pertaining to this topic but ive read a lot of them and i havent found a solution yet. also i would like to add that i am nearly computer illiterate and even more ignorant when it comes to fourms, so please bear with me. my spelling sucks (spell check dosent even recognize half of my typing).

so i have a briggs 4.4 kw air cooled generator (i know its a piece, but it runs my hot h2o and my window unit just fine) so where do i put it? i have a 66 pass blue bird puller. origonaly i wanted to put it under the bus in the back behind the rear wheel (as my tanks take up all the room from the rear wheels foward) and inclose it in a box with a snorcle air intake witha k and n airfilter on the back of the bus about 3 or 4 feet above the bumper. also extending the exhaust out the back with a modified muffler sticking out just past the bumper. i am having secound thoughts because i think it will over heat, and if i give it appropriate ventalation then road spray will soak it. i did score a safari mount for a jeep (the rack that goes over the spare tire with two jerry cans mounted on it). smiley face with sun glasses. what if i mounted that to the roof in the front of the bus on the passenger side, and built three sides and a roof on it (using 2x6 salt treated) leaving the trailing end open for exhaust and ventilation? i am skeptic of a rear bumper mount because of turning clearance of the truck i am pulling. a front bumper mount would be ok but road spray once again consernes me. mounting it in the back above the rear passenger window would be pretty cool but i dont know if cutting back the sheet metal to get to the framing to weld would be worth the trouble, it would also be hard to start and service, and i am pretty sure patching the sheet metal on a curved surface would look like poo. any way thanks for reading this redicusley long and boring question and please let me know if you have any suggestions. thanks.

ps. iv been living in the bus a year and a half, (three states) and absoultly love it. i painted it like the a-team van. i dont know how to post picts of this sweet mach. but i would like to

vega12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 08:56 PM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1989
Coachwork: bluebird
Chassis: pusher
Engine: 8.2L detroit
Rated Cap: 66
Re: generator on the roof???

i would like to be able to run it while driving for window ac unit or maybe the ele heater in the rear bedroom for supplement heat (I removed the rear heater and forgot it in va, and we are in tx now, but heading to wash. in march).
my neighbor is a tractor mechanic, and he picked me up 8 of these three inch bushings that he uses at work to keep the gas tank from rattling loose. i was going to use 4 of them on the gen. mount and another 4 where the mount connects to the existing roof racks, because your right, it would rattle every pop rivet in the bus loose.

but dont get me wrong, i would love to mount it underneath, and i like the door as an awning idea, im just thinking im gonna need it running while driving.

thanks
vega12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 11:29 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: 3208 na boat anchor
Rated Cap: 2

Well, we are skoolies! Do it your way, and let us know how it works.
bus-bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 05:26 AM   #4
Ob1
Skoolie

Year: 1963
Coachwork: Grumman
Chassis: Chevrolet
Engine: Chevy 292 I-6

My rear bumper has been extended about 1.5 feet to allow a motorcycle to be carried there. I can JUST fit the Champion 3.5KW generator on there as well. I run mine while going down the road if I want to run the AC or refrigerator. Hoping someday to set up an independent 12VDC system {alternator, battery, inverter} to use while driving, since most places I camp have power, I can load up the generator for those trips where shore power isnt available.

Overall, generator noise isnt a problem. Road noise takes care of that while driving, AC or a box fan when parked makes enough "white noise" to cover when parked.
Ob1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 04:10 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: 3800 International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 72

How long a pull rope would you need? I did think about putting the gen on the roof, but I think over all it would be a big pain in the butt.
If all goes well Ill have a box built and install it beside the batter box, you can have lots of ventulation with out it overheating and getting covered in road debris, the overplan is to place it on the rear deck, even there it will have to have some type of cover, keep it from walking away, and rain etc.

just my 2 cents, after about 6 pack or 2 you will say hey Im a skoolie, and if I want I will mount it anyplace I want!!!

keep us posted

gbstewart