Old 03-15-2009, 07:42 PM   #1

Year: 1991
Coachwork: gmc
generator problems

hey all. this is my first post on here. my band bought a bus to convert to an rv and it's been tons of problems. anyway, we got a generator from a relative. it's about 2 years old, but has never been used at all, never had any gas or oil in it. it's made by zhejiang robot power machinery, out of china. it's a 3300 watt, 6zhrs, 110/120 VAC, 6.5 hp, 3600 RPM, 60Hz. i don't know what most of that means. i've never used a generator before. anyway, we put about a gallon of regular gasoline, and some 10W-30 oil, and started it up. After about 10 minutes, it started making a really bad sound, like something wasn't working right. also, it wasn't providing us with electricity. the sound went in and out. don't know if that's enough info, but any help would be good. I don't even know where to start. I couldn't find our model on the zhejiang site, so I haven't found an online manual yet, and we didn't get a manual with it from the relative. thanks.
jasonjason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 08:50 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Re: generator problems

i'm assuming that you put the 10w40 oil in the crankcase, and not mixed in with the fuel eh?

did you check to make sure the engine had the proper amount of oil before you started it? too little oil would fry an engine in no time, especially a non-pressure lubricated engine. I assume it is a 4 stroke motor, and not a 2 stroke. I recently saw some new 2 stroke generators in boxes at an auction. A 2 stroke motor would not have oil in the crankcase, but would not burn 10w30 either....

if the generator has been sitting a long time, it's possible that the bearings/bushings for the generator head are rusted and no good. I would have expected bad bearings to start making noise right away though.

does the motor seem to run fine? or does the engine run poorly?
Old 03-16-2009, 09:35 AM   #3
Bus Nut

is it a diesel, the chinese are making a lot of air cooled small diesel engines and gensets.
paul iossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 01:16 PM   #4

thank you!!! I was told that it took regular gasoline, that you don't have to mix it with anything, that it's gasoline, not diesel. here are the specs;

there was a sticker on the side that said the following:

Family Name: 6ZHRS.1961NL
This engine conforms to 2006 EPA regulations for small nonroad engines.
Emission control system: EM
This engine is certified to operate on unleaded gasoline
Lubricant requirement: API service category SF [this concerns me; i don't know what it means]
Engine displacement: 196cc
Emission compliance period: 125hours

on another sticker, it says

Output: 110/120 VAC, 60Hz
2,800 W rated, 3300 W max
Engine Fuel Capacity/Type - 4.1 Gal. Gasoline
6.5 HP 3600RPM, Recoil start

I was told it's a 4 stroke engine.

So it appears that it's supposed to be regular gasoline. I don't know what the lubricant requirement line means. So I don't know if the 10W-30 oil I put in is wrong. Like I said, the generator had never been used and never had any fluids put in it before we put oil and gasoline in it. At first, we put too much oil in, and it wouldn't start. so we took some out, and it started. like I said, it ran for about 10 minutes and then the noise started. I don't know anything about engines or electricity. So I don't know exactly what you're referring to when you say engine or motor. we couldn't tell exactly where the sound was coming from. Like I said, it wasn't generating electricity. So maybe it's the generator? Sorry this is a little vague. Like I said, this is my first experience with generators. I've searched google for our model, and I can't find it. This frustrates me. I don't know why companies drop their old products. where's the pride??? anyway, thank you so much again.

i just asked somebody, and they mentioned the possibility of a loose belt. thoughts?
Old 03-16-2009, 02:19 PM   #5
Bus Geek

don't worry about the oil. All oils today conform to api standards...the current standard is "sm"

the previous standards were "sl, sj, sh, sg"

Oils are backwards compatable with exceptions acording to the api website.

That basically means that new oils will work just fine with old engines, but old oil will not necessarily work well with new engines.

SF rated oil is now obsolete, but was the standard back in 1988. So any oil manufactured after 1988 that is api rated as "S*" would be just fine for your enigine.

There is a warning that the newest oil, "SM" is bad for engines with flat tappet cam shafts.....like old muscle cars.

Basically, when it comes to your small engine, oil is oil. Any oil of the proper viscosity rated for gasoline engines should be fine. Oils for diesel engines have a C* rating instead of an S* rating for gasoline engien oils. CJ-4 is the most current of the diesel oils.

just google api oil classification for more info if you're curious.

sounds to me like it's time for a new generator!
Old 03-16-2009, 11:34 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonjason
At first, we put too much oil in, and it wouldn't start. so we took some out, and it started. like I said, it ran for about 10 minutes and then the noise started.
Oil levels aren't something you want to "guess" at in a motor. Drain the oil, and start-over, there's either a dipstick, or a port that shows proper oil-level (hopefully it's not too late).

Smitty

yeah. well said. we'll double check the oil. the obnoxious thing is that the dipstick is about an inch and a half long. it just doesn't lend itself to being trusted. but yeah, thanks for pointing out something we should have checked. it's great how the obvious is hard to see sometimes.