Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1974
Chassis: Thomas
Engine: International
Rated Cap: 60
Re: Generator use on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkoskoolie
I just got a Champion brand 3500watt generator this summer, used it at Burningman. They seem to be a bit quieter than the typical cheap home/construction genny..... They sell at Kragen's auto parts, and Cabelas; Cabela's had around 75 reviews for the one I bought. Some complained that it wouldn't run an A/C, but I'm sure they plugged into the 10 amp 110 volt receptacle. Need to use the 30 amp RV outlet. Hell I even was able to pull start it with my 13,500 btu rooftop A/C in the "on" position. Wondered why it was hard to pull, and bogged a bit on start-up. I'm very pleased. They are often both on sale and with a rebate. If you watch and wait, they are a good deal.

I plan on making a bin under the bus, in front of the existing massive basement storage (LOVE those last Gillig pusher models) to carry the genny. A door with ventilation, outlet for exhaust, and maybe a slide-out for when parked, easier re-fueling etc. With adequate sound insulation, it should work for down the road and parked.
thats the exact model im looking at dood!
$375 and the reviews say that you can hear it 20 30 ft away...
and i was considering making a sound proof box to attach on the rear with a vent....but your idea seems more sensible.

thanks for everyones input
travlenhippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 06:28 PM   #12
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03

I've seen those Champion gennies for under $200 on sale and with mail in rebate. That's a pretty tough deal to beat. If you are planning on enclosing it please make sure you include two air ducts, one for cool air intake and one for hot exhaust. That will minimize explosive vapor build up and help keep the thing cool. Forced air wouldn't necessarily be a bad idea when it comes to the cooling. Even just a $10 desk fan modified to fit somewhere near the inlet tube in the box would help keep the air from getting stagnant.
Old 10-23-2008, 07:46 PM   #13
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1974
Chassis: Thomas
Engine: International
Rated Cap: 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_experience03
I've seen those Champion gennies for under $200 on sale and with mail in rebate. That's a pretty tough deal to beat. If you are planning on enclosing it please make sure you include two air ducts, one for cool air intake and one for hot exhaust. That will minimize explosive vapor build up and help keep the thing cool. Forced air wouldn't necessarily be a bad idea when it comes to the cooling. Even just a $10 desk fan modified to fit somewhere near the inlet tube in the box would help keep the air from getting stagnant.
will do man!
thanks!
travlenhippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 12:45 PM   #14
Bus Nut

you can have a muffler shop or competent fabricator install an adapter mand use a small car muffler to help with the exhaust noise, then you will be amazed at the amount of noise generated by thr intake and mechanicals.
paul iossi is offline   Reply With Quote