Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-22-2008, 08:02 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1974
Chassis: Thomas
Engine: International
Rated Cap: 60
Generator use on the road

can you run a generator while driving a skoolie?

travlenhippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 08:55 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03
Re: Generator use on the road

Yes. Just be smart about things like the exhaust. In my bus, for example, air is sucked from the back to the front if front and rear windows are open.
Old 10-22-2008, 09:01 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Most people I know that roam around in Motor Homes use the Gennie to power their roof A/C's while they go down the road. That's what I have in mind since the bus doesn't have any kind of coach A/C...

You just might be a Redneck if...
...your motor home used to be a school bus!
...Your living room has a steering wheel!
...Your home has brake lights

1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1989 Thomas Diesel Pusher (Cat 3208/Freightliner)
Chesapeake, Virginia
GoneCamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 09:08 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_experience03
Yes. Just be smart about things like the exhaust. In my bus, for example, air is sucked from the back to the front if front and rear windows are open.
can i use one from home depot?
it has the appropriate voltage and wattage.....good on gas...fairly priced
Old 10-22-2008, 09:37 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03

I don't see any reason why not. I really don't care where you buy it from or what brand it is as long as it is relatively safe (and most products sold in the US, save for Chinese made children's toys are) and you are willing to accept the compromise that sometimes comes with price versus reliability.
Old 10-22-2008, 09:44 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 1982
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: IH S1723
Engine: IH V345 Gas V8
Rated Cap: 66

Be warned, those Lowe's generators are NOT known for their quietness. . .neighbors a block away might complain!
Old 10-22-2008, 09:44 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

okaaaayy thanks experience!
Old 10-23-2008, 09:25 AM   #8
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International
Engine: 7.3 diesel
Rated Cap: 14

I have tried running a cheap one I got from menards and after a few minutes the suction or wind from the rear end would suck the life out of it. And I'd have to go back and restart it. I ended up getting a coleman unit that wouldn't do this, it has a extra air duct near the air intake, only problem is I would only get around 5 or 6 hours on 5 gallons of gas, not very good there but at least I stayed somewhat cool. My honda 2000 won't run the 13500 air unit on the bus without popping the breaker after a couple minutes so I haven't tried it.

I might try it on the van sometime but since the van has front air that works great I don't see myself doing that. Maybe if I'm going through a hot state at the end of march into april when I take the van to california and back.
wmah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 09:33 AM   #9
Skoolie

Year: 2003
Coachwork: 2003 Thomas E-350 shorty
Chassis: E350
Engine: 7.3 Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 24

I just got a Champion brand 3500watt generator this summer, used it at Burningman. They seem to be a bit quieter than the typical cheap home/construction genny..... They sell at Kragen's auto parts, and Cabelas; Cabela's had around 75 reviews for the one I bought. Some complained that it wouldn't run an A/C, but I'm sure they plugged into the 10 amp 110 volt receptacle. Need to use the 30 amp RV outlet. Hell I even was able to pull start it with my 13,500 btu rooftop A/C in the "on" position. Wondered why it was hard to pull, and bogged a bit on start-up. I'm very pleased. They are often both on sale and with a rebate. If you watch and wait, they are a good deal.

I plan on making a bin under the bus, in front of the existing massive basement storage (LOVE those last Gillig pusher models) to carry the genny. A door with ventilation, outlet for exhaust, and maybe a slide-out for when parked, easier re-fueling etc. With adequate sound insulation, it should work for down the road and parked.
Old 10-23-2008, 09:50 AM   #10
Bus Crazy

Send a message via AIM to Steve

I have seen a lot of skoolies with a little shelf on the rear bumper that holds the generator so that it can be used while driving down the road.
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 04:46 PM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkoskoolie
I just got a Champion brand 3500watt generator this summer, used it at Burningman. They seem to be a bit quieter than the typical cheap home/construction genny..... They sell at Kragen's auto parts, and Cabelas; Cabela's had around 75 reviews for the one I bought. Some complained that it wouldn't run an A/C, but I'm sure they plugged into the 10 amp 110 volt receptacle. Need to use the 30 amp RV outlet. Hell I even was able to pull start it with my 13,500 btu rooftop A/C in the "on" position. Wondered why it was hard to pull, and bogged a bit on start-up. I'm very pleased. They are often both on sale and with a rebate. If you watch and wait, they are a good deal.

I plan on making a bin under the bus, in front of the existing massive basement storage (LOVE those last Gillig pusher models) to carry the genny. A door with ventilation, outlet for exhaust, and maybe a slide-out for when parked, easier re-fueling etc. With adequate sound insulation, it should work for down the road and parked.
thats the exact model im looking at dood!
$375 and the reviews say that you can hear it 20 30 ft away...
and i was considering making a sound proof box to attach on the rear with a vent....but your idea seems more sensible.

thanks for everyones input
Old 10-23-2008, 05:28 PM   #12
Bus Geek

I've seen those Champion gennies for under $200 on sale and with mail in rebate. That's a pretty tough deal to beat. If you are planning on enclosing it please make sure you include two air ducts, one for cool air intake and one for hot exhaust. That will minimize explosive vapor build up and help keep the thing cool. Forced air wouldn't necessarily be a bad idea when it comes to the cooling. Even just a $10 desk fan modified to fit somewhere near the inlet tube in the box would help keep the air from getting stagnant.
Old 10-23-2008, 06:46 PM   #13
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_experience03
I've seen those Champion gennies for under $200 on sale and with mail in rebate. That's a pretty tough deal to beat. If you are planning on enclosing it please make sure you include two air ducts, one for cool air intake and one for hot exhaust. That will minimize explosive vapor build up and help keep the thing cool. Forced air wouldn't necessarily be a bad idea when it comes to the cooling. Even just a $10 desk fan modified to fit somewhere near the inlet tube in the box would help keep the air from getting stagnant.
will do man!
thanks!
Old 10-24-2008, 11:45 AM   #14
Bus Nut

you can have a muffler shop or competent fabricator install an adapter mand use a small car muffler to help with the exhaust noise, then you will be amazed at the amount of noise generated by thr intake and mechanicals.
paul iossi is offline   Reply With Quote