Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-01-2004, 11:04 PM   #1
Bus Geek

generators

What kind of geni do you have? Gas/Diesel. How many KW? is it noisy?

Where did you mount it?

Any ideas questions or problems with generators ?

Old 08-18-2004, 04:32 PM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

Why No Responses???

I'm now working on mounting DIY homemade genset on the back end of my skoolie. I had a very hard time deciding where to mount it. I thought I would put it under the bus somewhere, but in looking at the details, this seemed not so good. Then, I was going to mount inside the bus somewhere, piping the exhaust and other ventilation air outside. Again, the details of doing this made it very complicated.

Probably the best place is on the back of the bus. Best to remove the rear bumper, and instal a deck on the back, and bolt the genset there. This was too much work for me, as I am rushing to complete my skoolie, but I will add this later when time allows. This is also a good place to store chord wood for the wood stove, and mount a vice and other tools.

I just screwed a 2 inch angle iron on the rear left side, 2 feet long. I am bolting to that a 1 foot wide shelf, 2 feet long, for holding my genset there on the left side, so that I can access the pullchord when I open the back door, and to not interfer with opening the back door.

My genset uses a gas Tecumpsah Industrial cast iron 5 HP engine with a 12 V 200 amp Bendix aircraft generator. It's geared to produce a maximum of 1200 watts at 2000 rpms, 2400 watts at 4000. Yes, it's very noisey like all of them. I can run an L- pipe straight down into a steel bucket full of pea sized gravel and water. This is the best muffler I know of. The engine is started first, then the bucket raised into position, filed with gravel, then water, and placed on a stand. This must be removed after then engine shuts down, otherwise water will draw up into the engine block.