Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-07-2010, 08:01 AM   #1
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Ward Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/MT643
Rated Cap: 77
Genesis, take two...what to look out for?

I am, theoretically, looking over another IH/Ward Genesis today...a 1992 front-engine, except for being 2 years older a clone, at least bodywise, to the 40' midship-lift buses I looked over a couple months ago. According to the seller, it's diesel, automatic (well, duh), air brakes, A/C (WOOHOO!), not sure on miles except "probably a lot". He says it has storage bays on the sides, no serious body damage except for a shattered window in the entry door. It's been sitting since early December, ran perfectly at that point. It passed the school-bus safety inspection last August, so it has to be in at least reasonably-good mechanical shape.

So: where are the trouble spots on these buses? Where do the bodies rust, and what else do I need to look out for?

Jarlaxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 04:12 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Re: Genesis, take two...what to look out for?

It looked pretty good, I have to say...solid & straight body, engine has a rebuilt turbo and IP, and it started right up in 24-degree temps once the batteries were charged, rebuilt MT643 transmission (even has a retarder!), NEW front tires (Hankooks), all bays in good shape. The only possible downsides I found were a decidedly mangled rear bumper and 307,000 miles. Couldn't test the A/C...too cold.
Old 02-10-2010, 06:56 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Coachwork: THOMAS
Chassis: SAFE-T-LINER
Engine: CAT 3116
Rated Cap: 83

With that mileage, first question I would be asking myself is "Has the engine been overhauled"? Is it the DT466 International inline motor?
BUSBOZO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 07:50 AM   #4
Bus Crazy

The turbo, IP, and all 6 injectors have been replaced; engine hasn't been overhauled.

It is the DT466 engine.