Old 04-24-2018, 09:21 AM   #1
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Blue Bird TC RE 3904, Flat Nose, 40', 277" wh base
Engine: 8.3L Cummins ISC 260hp, AT643, 4.44 rear
Rated Cap: 84 pax or 1 RV; 33,000lbs
Genny sound deadening...

Instead of jacking Twigg's thread, thought I'd start a new one...

What have you kids done about quieting your genny's? I think I might have room in the engine compartment for one. That got me thinking about trying to quiet the bus engine as well (RE). Has anyone considered using this?

Don't get too hung up on the exact link. It was a 3 second search and was fairly cheap on price. I've no idea how temp resistant it is. Use some kind of spray-on barnacle spit (glue) and stick it directly to the metal inside the engine bay. Frame over the bench for the bed... hmm, no reason I couldn't foam the inside of the bus or both outside and inside.

I tried to quiet jenny once (the ex) and it cost a $hit load more than $36. Well worth the money it cost but I'm hoping a little cheaper this time.

If you guys have tried anything else, post it even if it didn't work. Save someone from making the same mistake.
Brewerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 09:48 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International S3800
Engine: DT360
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
im using a hondas eu2000i which is already really quiet.. im thinking if you have a noisy unit like an ONAN diesel or such you could Dynamat or such the area it is in... dynamat (and similar less pricey alternatives) does really good esp for the fact it isnt super thick..
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 10:05 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
im using a hondas eu2000i which is already really quiet.. im thinking if you have a noisy unit like an ONAN diesel or such you could Dynamat or such the area it is in... dynamat (and similar less pricey alternatives) does really good esp for the fact it isnt super thick..
-Christopher
I was thinking the stick on mat stuff too but there's more than enough room for even the 2" thick stuff. I also thinking the shiny reflective stuff for heat but I dunno if that's a good idea or not. Reflecting heat back at the engine... the radiator should handle it just fine. In the winter, it would be nice to have the (bus) engine heating the bed.
Old 04-24-2018, 10:24 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International S3800
Engine: DT360
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
thats always been a question ive wondered about for those putting the bed above the engine on an RE is how hot is the residual engine heat in summer when trying to sleep..

I also am not sure id put any generator right below the bed.. not only is there sound propagating in the air but also being resonated through the framework and such. unless you are heavily isolating the genset from the frame of the bus somehow..
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 10:30 AM   #5
Skoolie

Year: 2004
Coachwork: Corbeil
Chassis: Ford
Engine: Ford PowerStroke Diesel 6.0
Rated Cap: GVWR 11,500
Quote:
thats always been a question ive wondered about for those putting the bed above the engine on an RE is how hot is the residual engine heat in summer when trying to sleep..

I also am not sure id put any generator right below the bed.. not only is there sound propagating in the air but also being resonated through the framework and such. unless you are heavily isolating the genset from the frame of the bus somehow..
-Christopher
Can't forget the vibration being transferred through the frame. Though I've seen a motel or two where you could pay for that sort of thing.
weboughtabus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 10:50 AM   #6
Bus Nut

Quote:

-Christopher
How much sleep you gonna mix with your driving? And there was a row of seats back there...back to sleeping and driving...that always created quite the adventure for me...admittedly I've never driven a skoolie
Jdawgsfanasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 10:52 AM   #7
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewerbob View Post

What have you kids done about quieting your genny's? I think I might have room in the engine compartment for one. That got me thinking about trying to quiet the bus engine as well (RE). Has anyone considered using this?

Don't get too hung up on the exact link. It was a 3 second search and was fairly cheap on price. I've no idea how temp resistant it is. Use some kind of spray-on barnacle spit (glue) and stick it directly to the metal inside the engine bay. Frame over the bench for the bed... hmm, no reason I couldn't foam the inside of the bus or both outside and inside.

I tried to quiet jenny once (the ex) and it cost a $hit load more than $36. Well worth the money it cost but I'm hoping a little cheaper this time.

If you guys have tried anything else, post it even if it didn't work. Save someone from making the same mistake.
There is a genny built for tractor trucks...they are fairly quiet
Old 04-24-2018, 10:55 AM   #8
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewerbob View Post

I don't think it's waterproof or fireproof...
Old 04-24-2018, 10:59 AM   #9
Bus Geek

Quote:
In your case it would make a difference. In the RV setting not as much. You drive until you sleep and repeat whereas RVing I could be staying put for a month.

It would probably cool off in a few hours anyway.

Quote:
-Christopher
I would want to put some heavy rubber bushings between the two. Not literally hockey pucks but you get the idea. Buy some cheap motor mounts and use those.
Old 04-24-2018, 11:07 AM   #10
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgsfanasty View Post
I don't think it's waterproof or fireproof...
Waterproof would be good but fireproof isn't needed. If the engine is on fire, I've got bigger problems to worry about. As long as it isn't starting a fire... and again I think there's enough room in there. Enough to avoid direct contact anyway.