Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-04-2005, 09:33 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Send a message via MSN to headface
Geo Metro in the Back

I will be purchasing a bus in the next few months and am planning to make the entire back one large swing open door i will have the back say 13 feet a shop air compressor welder ect.

I am going to have it so i can put atv's in the back and also want to put a geo metro in the back so when i get where i want i can unload the metro and have some trasportation at more than 7 mpg

Does anyone see a problem with this or done it have any input

Thanx Tony Rasmussen

headface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 10:56 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Send a message via AIM to Steve
If you want a smaller and classier car you could look into getting a MG Midget [$2000] which would be a convertible making it easier to get in and out of when in the bus.
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 11:38 AM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

i like the geo beacause parts are very easy to find and it is easy to work on

also they are fun to drive and fun to beat on they are like go carts with heaters

and not to mention i and getting one for250$$ with 120k on it so that should be kewl
Old 03-04-2005, 12:31 PM   #4

Geo in back

There shouldn't be any problem with the Geo in back. I'm doing something similar but have taken off almost half of the roof to the bottom of the window pillars leaving sides. Will enclose the next section up right in front of wheel wells for my ATV shop/sleeping quarters. Will only have 2 pairs of seats facing each other. Took my roof off in one piece just in case I get the itch to make it reattachable. Another fellow is supposed to be posting some pics of his ATV doors. Just park the Geo up tight on the passenger side and you shouldn't have any problem getting in and out. What kind of ramps are you planning on building. I have a lift gate and wrecker attachment possibly in the works for mine as well. I'm currently working with a 66 passenger school bus but have a transit bus in the works once the snow melts. Do you have a design for the back yet? I contemplated it but couldn't find any plans and really have the need of the flatbed section. Many blessings finding your bus.
allanwcoty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 12:54 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

I do not have actual plans as they will be different for each bus but i plan to have the whole back of the bus on a hinge and swing it open towards the driver side i think this will plrobably mostly home fabricated from the last window of the bus back

i may also have 4-5 feet of flat bed hanging off the back as an attatchment with stairs that go to a deck on top

Thanx for the reply's keep them coming later
Old 03-04-2005, 01:23 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Send a message via AIM to Steve
Quote:
Originally Posted by headface
I do not have actual plans as they will be different for each bus
Your making more than one?
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 07:54 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

No I will be making only one for myself

What I am saying is that i dont have actual plans with dimensions and exact layout of how it will work because I do not know the exact bus that i will be buying and they are all different
Old 04-05-2005, 08:41 AM   #8
trx
Skoolie

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Chevy C-60
Engine: 8.2L Turbo Detroit Diesel
Rated Cap: 77
Send a message via ICQ to trx
My bus hauls around an old International Scout II 4x4, so I don't see any issue with a Metro!

My work in progress:

http://trx.punknet.org/geeklog/publi...olieConversion
trx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 12:41 PM   #9
Bus Nut

Year: 1985
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: 366 propane
Rated Cap: 56
Re: car hauler

I was looking at a used late 70's bluebird. They mechanic had modified the rear of the bus into one large "door" that hinged at the interior floor level. THey laid a sheet of steel on inside (tread side) so that when the door/ramp was lowered they were able to pull a formula race car into the bus. It was a really slick system. They used an electric which to raise and lower the back of the bus. I was told it was too heavy for two guys to raise. Then they would use the same winch to tow the vehicle inside. It was a compartment just big enough to hold my 96 jeep cherokee sport. They then had compartments similar to those you would find over a kitchen on the sides to hold car stuff. They used this system since the early 80's and traveled to eastern canada, mexico and such. They had a small living area in the front. They did not modify the roof or walls, just the back of the bus. They left the facade of the rear. So when the wall was up one would never know that the whole thing was a ramp. It was pretty cool. If anyone wants I can post a couple of photo's of it. Actually it is still for sale. http://www.buysell.com/showad.asp?id=30699644

Have fun. -Richard
captainkf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 05:36 PM   #10
Bus Geek

perhaps someday i can dig out the photo's i took at an antique tractor show. A guy had the entire back portion of the bus so it swung out as a giant door. He had two tractors inside the bus, and two more tractors on a trailer behind the bus. He actually used the trailer as the ramp . it was quite ingenious.