Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-07-2017, 11:26 AM   #1

Glue removal from the floor

Hello folks. I got the seats out and the rubber floor cover up, but there is a gummy glue residue on some parts of the floor. The floor is plywood, still in very good condition. I've seen some solutions for getting glue off a metal floor, but cant seem to find any easy way for wood. Wire brushes? Chemicals? Metal scraper? Help!

Hookhands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 12:56 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Engine: DT530
Rated Cap: 84
My plywood was in great shape as well but I cut out a small spot to check the steel below. Around the wheel wells it was rusted completely through. I ended up removing all the plywood and I'm glad that I did.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Old 09-07-2017, 08:20 PM   #3
Almost There

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Carpenter (Cavalier)
Chassis: International Harvester
Engine: DTA360
Rated Cap: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookhands View Post
Hello folks. I got the seats out and the rubber floor cover up, but there is a gummy glue residue on some parts of the floor. The floor is plywood, still in very good condition. I've seen some solutions for getting glue off a metal floor, but cant seem to find any easy way for wood. Wire brushes? Chemicals? Metal scraper? Help!
I had success with citrus degreaser. Its biodegradable and smells like oranges. It's usually in the cleaning department at most hardware stores, about $10 a gallon. It took me a gallon it says you can dilute but I used it uncut. Sprayed it on with a hand sprayer, then after letting it sit (but not evaporate) I wire brushed with an angle grinder and washed it out with a garden hose. Worked great.
Skipoffools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 08:36 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: Ford B600
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 20 person
We removed the plywood as well. Our plywood smelled like diesel fuel. The previous owner I guess had spilled some. Plus the wood hid some rust holes so I am glad I did.
Youtube - bit.ly/TheBowserJournal
BowserJournal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 10:54 PM   #5
Traveling

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookhands View Post
I used Easy Release 1 Gal. Adhesive Remover by Henry at big box store.

Worked pretty good, have to follow directions.

Click image for larger version

Name:	henry.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	15743
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 08:24 AM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 2002
Coachwork: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
That plywood is very deceiving. Guaranteed you'll find rust under there. Besides you take away headroom if you're going to insulate over the plywood. I think if you go down to bare metal, you'll be happy you did. The plywood isn't that hard to remove once to get a system of using a 48" crow bar and 4 lb hammer. Mine came up pretty easy that way and I found rust in places I really didn't think there would be any where the wood looked good.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Old 09-08-2017, 08:26 AM   #7
Bus Nut

Year: 2002
Coachwork: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
I used Easy Release 1 Gal. Adhesive Remover by Henry at big box store.

Worked pretty good, have to follow directions.

Attachment 15743
I wonder how well this would have worked on the adhesive left behind from the reflective strips on the exterior?

Old 09-12-2017, 08:24 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobeamiss View Post
That plywood is very deceiving. Guaranteed you'll find rust under there. Besides you take away headroom if you're going to insulate over the plywood. I think if you go down to bare metal, you'll be happy you did. The plywood isn't that hard to remove once to get a system of using a 48" crow bar and 4 lb hammer. Mine came up pretty easy that way and I found rust in places I really didn't think there would be any where the wood looked good.

We decided to take up the plywood, but now I have a couple other questions. We weren't planning on installing insulation, but we were going to do a layer of silver radiant barrier, with vinyl flooring on top. Do you think that will work on top of the bare metal?

Also, when mounting items to the floor (sink, bed, etc,) should I be using stainless self tapping screws? Thanks for your expertise!
Hookhands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 11:24 AM   #9
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Thomas
Engine: CAT 3126
Why the choice for radiant barrier versus insulation? My understanding of radiant barrier is that it works well for sunshine or maybe something like a hot engine that's radiating heat but will do little to stop the flow of heat moving through something if it is not specifically radiant heat. Closed cell foam has a lot of benefits including making your vehicle quieter and even reducing some of the vibration.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f11/4-...ner-18205.html
david.dgeorge07 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adhesive, floor, glue, wood