Old 01-12-2019, 06:45 PM   #11
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: Cat 3116
Rated Cap: 72
Just for comparison, same engine here likely, 3116 Cat. Low rated Cat at that, but it rolls. Is that an inline six? Allison 545?

Limiting the speed might be to prolong the transmission life on that.

Non automatic, 35ft, 12 windows so more weight initially than the one you mention.
On the highway it purrs and when you say "giddyup" it works as long as you want it. Great feeling to have that merging into fast traffic and other manouevers.
1997 with 175000 miles
Old 01-12-2019, 07:03 PM   #12
Skoolie

yeah, driving up the ridge of mountains from south east BC to dead central BC has a LOT of hills and mountains - one pass of 4200 snowy foot elevation and another really snowy pass of over 5000 feet in the first 70 miles to start with, not mentioning the hills that would pass for mountains anywhere else, I want some power to the wheels - the bus with the cat motor has some attractive advantages, being close right here in BC and already registered as a motor home and inspected in BC means that conversion to what I want would be very easy, but I think it would be underpowered - another thought, what comparison in gas mileage would be between the small diesel with the 4 speed auto and the 454 gasser auto?
Sleddgracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 08:01 PM   #13
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: Cat 3116
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleddgracer View Post
yeah, driving up the ridge of mountains from south east BC to dead central BC has a LOT of hills and mountains - one pass of 4200 snowy foot elevation and another really snowy pass of over 5000 feet in the first 70 miles to start with, not mentioning the hills that would pass for mountains anywhere else, I want some power to the wheels - the bus with the cat motor has some attractive advantages, being close right here in BC and already registered as a motor home and inspected in BC means that conversion to what I want would be very easy, but I think it would be underpowered - another thought, what comparison in gas mileage would be between the small diesel with the 4 speed auto and the 454 gasser auto?

Diesel is likely 60 gallons.
Gasser , well my gasser is 100 gallons.
600 miles would be a good number as far as distance travelled on the diesel at all daylong driving.
Gasser is pretty close to that on way more gallons. This with no cruise control which lowers gas mileage in fact.

On the guages, at 1/2 I start looking for fuel for both.
All just guesstimates unfortunately with these numbers.

John
Old 01-12-2019, 08:22 PM   #14
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJohn View Post
Diesel is likely 60 gallons.
Gasser , well my gasser is 100 gallons.
600 miles would be a good number as far as distance travelled on the diesel at all daylong driving.
Gasser is pretty close to that on way more gallons. This with no cruise control which lowers gas mileage in fact.

On the guages, at 1/2 I start looking for fuel for both.
All just guesstimates unfortunately with these numbers.

John
thanks - that gives me an idea and is close to what I was guessing
Sleddgracer is offline   Reply With Quote