Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-06-2005, 01:23 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Going On Tour!

Hi all,
Well I am leaving with my band to go on our first tour. I bought a Wayne lifestar on ebay about a year ago.
I want to thank you all for the vast amount of information I have recieved and used form all your posts.
I removed those awful heaters and put a loop in for the coolant (worked out great!)
I took out all the windows and put up sheet metal. I used self tapping sheet metal screwsand caulking. I then put in fiberglas insulation and taped that in place with aluminium tape. I bought this high tech foam/foil insulation from http://www.insulation4less.com
it is only 1/4" thick. I got enough to do the floors and walls plus.
I left the rubber floor, put in the insulation and laid down some really good 3/4" plywood.
I am going to carpet the walls so I just used OSB on them.
I have an electrician friend coming down to wire the buss for me, all up to code.
We won't have the luxury of running water or a working stove on this trip but I wanted to have it insulated and get the heat working so we don't freeze. I am looking into a propane furnace VS a catalytic heater, any reccomendations?

If you want to see the band or where we are head got to:
http://www.deadbyday.com

Ralis

Ralis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 08:18 AM   #2
Skoolie

I've recommended haunting RV and regular junkyards and pulling the furnaces out for use in skoolies. I've paid $20, others have paid $50 for furnaces...depends on if they know what they're selling or not.
Just make sure the burner chamber isn't burnt through......

The furnaces run off propane, and many have blowers for forced hot air; they also use thermostats, get an electronic one. The blowers can/may run off of 12VDC or 120VDC, depending on how it's equipped.
Keep the propane tank OUTSIDE the bus! If running only the furnace, I'd use a regulator salvaged from a gas grill...cheap, yes?
Connect the propane with flexible copper tube of appropriate size, and use flare fittings, NOT sweat copper joints.
Another nice thing is you can heat the ends of the bus more readily by using standard 3- or 4-inch insulated flexible ducting, available at Home Depot or Lowes.

Otherwise, wood stoves are sometimes used, but they have bulky wood as a drawback, along with the chance of CO poisoning and setting the bus on fire

Some people love ventless heaters, I fear them for CO potential. Take your pick.

BTW, other junkyard goodies include rooftop AC units, windows, water tanks, awnings, stoves, water heaters etc.

DO NOT USE LOOSE HEATERS IF TRAVELING/MOVING. IT MAY FALL DOWN AND SET SOMETHING ON FIRE!!!!!!

Good luck and happy motoring!
Old 12-06-2005, 01:50 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

On tour and heating

Thanks for the info on flare fittings! I might have missed that one.
I am lucky enough to have Walts RV Salvage about an hour or so close to me. They have some furnaces there that are resonable.
I want an on demand water heater as well but we won't get to that on this tour.
I already got the sit down tub, ondemand water pump and the oven/stove but it will all have to wait.
I have a guy who is doing the registration process for me so I don't have to deal with that. Got Good Sam GMAC insurance and roadside assistance.
I guess I willl just have to figure out where I will run that 4" ducting?
Old 12-06-2005, 02:00 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Heater woes

Actually when I bought the bus, the guy said, "oh, it has two great heaters!" Yeah right! Two great non working heaters I froze my SoCal butt off for two hour to get to civilization then to a Walmart I got a kerosene heater since there was no electric on the bus. We were driving down the road with this thing blazing away bungee corded to the floor! We fell asleep with it on and woke up sweating with almost no air left in 110 degree heat. We learned! I can't believe we made it 3000 miles. When the bus was driving down the road it looked like we had a campfire going on inside! We are lucky we didn't kill ourselves.
That is why I want to do this the right way.
Old 12-07-2005, 12:31 AM   #5
Bus Nut

The one thing to consider with the vent free heaters is moisture. Your windows will fog up and if you have any uninsulated metal you will have condensation problems. If you do use a vent free heater be sure to have a vent providing fresh air for it.
busone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 02:32 AM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

I think I am sold on the vented propane, forced air furnace. But there are no more windows!
Old 12-07-2005, 11:31 AM   #7
Bus Geek

going on tour sounds really exciting! Good luck

if you're touring in the spring and it works into the schedule perhaps i'll see if i can't catch the show. I'm gonna be on south padre march 10-17.

it's always fun to meet in person people from skoolie.net
Old 12-07-2005, 12:50 PM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

More touring

Thanks, we do plan on heading out in the spring as well. Our Bassist is a school teacher so our tours are being booked around school breaks! I just hope that "Grendal" (that is our bus' name) holds up.
We took her to a diesel/truck mechanic yesterday to get the parking brake fixed.(We get tired of running out to put blocks down everytime we stop)
Give everything the once over and some new tires
Old 12-07-2005, 12:56 PM   #9
Bus Crazy

Send a message via AIM to Steve
Yes, I would like to come see your band too if your tour takes you anywhere near me.
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 05:06 PM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

Nice website! Good luck on tour Us school teachers appreciate a fellow teacher working it!
Old 12-08-2005, 02:59 PM   #11
Bus Nut

Year: 1985
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: 366 propane
Rated Cap: 56
Yes we do!!

-Richard
captainkf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 05:41 AM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

Going Crazy

I was just told the the pads for the parking break would be $600.00 so it looks like we are running out with blocks everytime we stop!
There was one broken caliper on the front break as well and I have not even picked up the furnace yet! We leave on thursday and i am still sculpting monsters!