Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-13-2009, 05:25 AM   #21
Skoolie

Year: 92
Coachwork: ward flat nose
Chassis: international
Engine: dt466 mt643 air ride
Rated Cap: 84
Re: Going to look at buses on Friday

I think you got a smoking good deal on your new bus. You've got heavier duty axles on this one, which translates to a sturdier drive line and larger loading capacity. And from what I can see, all you need to do is sandblast that frame and cross members and spray paint with Rustolim (sp) and your all set to began your conversion.

I really like that large rear side door. Also, with that year engine, you may want to carry you a spare "crankshaft position sensor". Sometime they fail w/o warning and won't allow you to start the engine, esp when they have been exposed to road salts and chemicals. Congrats on your new skoolie.

kotflb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 10:06 PM   #22
Skoolie

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: 8.2L Detroit N/A, Allison
Rated Cap: 65

I'm going to post some pics of the bus I looked at today when I get them off my phone. I'm pretty excited about it. You guys will have to let me know what you think. It's a 1986 Ford with the 6.6L turbo "Brazilian" diesel. It has an Allison tranny...I'm not sure which one (probably the AT545). The body is a Ward. The glass is in good shape except the upper window in the escape door out the back. The bus has air brakes.

This bus came from the Denver School District 4 years ago. The guy that bought it got it at a large auction and actually got a pair of them. He plans to use the other one (because the title was lost) for the motor and tranny. Anyway...the bus with the title needs tires, which he'll take off the other bus as well as the transmission shift cable. The guy owns a truck and trailer manufacturing/repair business here in town.

This bus sat for 4 years since he bought it. The battery was shot, so I went out and got a new battery. I hooked up the battery, and it turned over! Another crank and she fired right up! There was a little white smoke from sitting forever, but all the gauges came to life after awhile. I didn't take it on a test drive because the tires need to be replaced (as I already said, it'll be taken care of) and the tranny doesn't shift into gear right now. I tested everything out, and everything seemed to work just fine.

He's asking $1600 for it with the different tires and the transmission cable fixed. We'll talk more about it tomorrow I'm sure. Let me know what you think (pros, cons, etc)!!
NewSkewlHauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 10:39 PM   #23
Skoolie

Ok...here are the pics...oh yeah, it's been undercoated too.

I have no idea of the quality or if they'll work. My apologies.
Attached Thumbnails
Photo_03.jpg   Photo_03(2).jpg   Photo_03(3).jpg  
Old 03-13-2009, 10:43 PM   #24
Skoolie

But wait...there's more...I'll stop now.
Attached Thumbnails
Photo_03(4).jpg   Photo_03(5).jpg   Photo_03(6).jpg  
Old 03-14-2009, 02:26 AM   #25
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: Spartan
Engine: Cummins 5.9

NewSkewlHauler, you might want to start a new topic about the bus you looked at. Mind, I'm not complaining: you're quite welcome to hijack this thread that I started. It's just that your posts here might get overlooked, where a new topic would be more likely to be seen and get you some feedback.

I'm sorry that I don't have anything constructive to add about the bus you're looking at. I'm just barely starting to learn about some of this stuff myself, and certainly am not in a position to be offering any advice.
Anomalous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 03:45 AM   #26
Skoolie

[quote="NewSkewlHauler"]

[/size]

That Ford bus looks pretty nice, what is it a 11 or 12 window? Until you actually get to road test it, it should be a PENDING SALE. Meaning, depending on the test outcome. Just one suggestion, give it a good road test of as many miles you feel comfortable with, even if you have to buy some fuel yourself. Warm it up good and get the drivetrain temp up to normal operation temps. Then come back and inspect under, over, in and out. If you don't find any leaks, your good to go. The reason I say this is often times seals dry out from non use. Most of these buses have some minor leaks, but its the major ones that can cost you big bucks.
Old 03-14-2009, 10:36 AM   #27
Skoolie

Anomalous, you're right...sorry to hijack your thread. It just seemed like a good place to put this, since it was a long the same lines of thought. But you do have a good point. Again, sorry. Good luck with your bus. I like it a lot!

Ben.
Old 03-14-2009, 11:04 AM   #28
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: Spartan
Engine: Cummins 5.9

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewSkewlHauler
Anomalous, you're right...sorry to hijack your thread. It just seemed like a good place to put this, since it was a long the same lines of thought. But you do have a good point. Again, sorry. Good luck with your bus. I like it a lot!

Ben.
No apologizes are necessary, really! I've used message boards long enough to understand that no one owns threads, and that going off topic is the normal state of things. And you know what? I'm not even convinced that your post is off topic, since though I was asking questions about a specific situation, a lot of advice that people gave me is generally applicable.

Anyway, about the bus: my impression is that unless you're a mechanic and do a through inspection, finding an honest person to buy from is probably more important than finding a specific bus. I've been quite happy so far with buying my bus from a place that normally sells and repairs trucks, though I don't know if that has any meaning in the general case.
Anomalous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 11:25 AM   #29
Skoolie

I'm kind of in a similar situation...I think that this guy knows what he's talking about and our transportation director for our school district sent me to him. I'm fairly new in town here (I've been here since June), but I know more kids as I teach Junior High Math. I haven't done much mechanicing since high school and college when I was living with a bunch of engineers. So I think having someone who knows a little something about the bus and is willing to help and guide me a little is worth a lot. I do have one friend out here that can teach me how to weld and has done weird stuff like this before. I'm getting really excited about it. I'm not totally convinced that I'm going to get the bus...I really need to drive it first I suppose before I commit to it (like was suggested).
Old 03-15-2009, 09:44 PM   #30
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Ward Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/MT643
Rated Cap: 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by kotflb
I think you got a smoking good deal on your new bus. You've got heavier duty axles on this one, which translates to a sturdier drive line and larger loading capacity. And from what I can see, all you need to do is sandblast that frame and cross members and spray paint with Rustolim (sp) and your all set to began your conversion.

I really like that large rear side door. Also, with that year engine, you may want to carry you a spare "crankshaft position sensor". Sometime they fail w/o warning and won't allow you to start the engine, esp when they have been exposed to road salts and chemicals. Congrats on your new skoolie.
Err, that's a 12V Cummins. They're strictly mechanical, no sensors at all.
Jarlaxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 04:23 AM   #31
Skoolie

Quote:
Err, that's a 12V Cummins. They're strictly mechanical, no sensors at all
His bus is a '97 year model. My Dodge 3/4ton is a '93 with the same engine, except for the injection pump, and my '93 ( with 340k + miles) has a crankshaft position sensor. Now I wonder how that got there any why I had to replace it last year...
Old 03-18-2009, 08:05 AM   #32
Almost There

Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72

cummins supplies the engines to dodge without the sensor, the sensor is a dodge add-on that they call a speed sensor (not a crank position sensor, resolution is way too low) it is used to control idle speed cruise control transmission shifting tachometer etc, most likely it is not present on a bus (or any non-dodge vehicle)
bbbrt76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 08:57 PM   #33
Skoolie

My BAD (assumption),

Thank you gentlemen for setting my right on this. Just going by what my local shade tree mechanic told me. I have learned something new today. What a great engine these 5.9 are, esp. when coupled with the manual or mt643 tranny .