Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-20-2017, 07:43 AM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 2004
Chassis: International CE 300
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 71 passenger / 12 window
Good auction sites, common tall bus types, etc...?

Last night I spent hours perusing bus auction sites and sale sites, and found not one that enabled you to search by interior height. You could search by a whole bunch of criteria... but not interior height.

Any of y'all know a good site where buses for sale or auction can be searched by height?

Also, I've noticed that the "Kleenex box" style of bus tends to be the most likely to be 78" tall inside. Not that I mind, but my bus-driver mother-in-law had good reason for preferring front engine conventional buses and so I guess I'd rather find one of those if I could. (I haven't ruled out other types, however.) Is it true that front engine conventional buses are less likely to be 78" tall, compared to the Thomas flat-nose buses which seem to be more frequently tall?

RomaniGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 11:34 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
Most every bus came in multiple height options, so you can't make easy blanket statements about them.

The advice I've seen is to look at the window height compared to the driver's window. If the top is at the same level it's not a tall bus, if the windows are higher then it isn't a stumpy bus.
brokedown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 06:45 AM   #3
Skoolie

Year: 2004
Chassis: International CE 300
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 71 passenger / 12 window
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokedown View Post
Most every bus came in multiple height options, so you can't make easy blanket statements about them.

The advice I've seen is to look at the window height compared to the driver's window. If the top is at the same level it's not a tall bus, if the windows are higher then it isn't a stumpy bus.
If that's really the way of it, I suppose it's fine... I've seen what you mean, and even that some buses appear to have a slightly raised roof aft of the driver's area. But it would still be nice to have an auction site where you could weed out the more squat among school buses.
RomaniGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote