Old 07-30-2016, 06:58 PM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

So, the seller is providing temporary tags, and I'm sure it's registered as a private bus. Does anybody have any pointers on insurance for the drive home? I've done some reading, but been unable to gather a consensus.
Finchwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 07:34 PM   #12
Bus Nut

Gotta tell us which state you're in, and it might be significant to know which state you're picking up from... but the word on the street is to find a local agent and use the magic words, "Progressive Commercial Policy for Private Use".
Dapplecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 08:22 PM   #13
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dapplecreek View Post
Gotta tell us which state you're in, and it might be significant to know which state you're picking up from... but the word on the street is to find a local agent and use the magic words, "Progressive Commercial Policy for Private Use".
I'm in Texas, picking up from Georgia. I will look into that.
Old 08-02-2016, 10:18 AM   #14
Mini-Skoolie

So... OBD-II.

I'm looking at these buses, and I don't see an OBD-II connector anywhere. It's a 2006, so I thought it would have one. Do buses have a different diagnostic connector than cars?
Old 08-02-2016, 11:14 AM   #15
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International S3800
Engine: DT360
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
typically the only busses with a standard OBD-II are the cut-aways (ones that look like half of a ford or chevy van in the front..

the others often jhave a manufacturer specific scanner required to work on them.. the chassis manufacturer.. or drivetrain in your case.. 2006 bus should be just before the major emission changes that went into effect for diesels so it shouldnt require DEF.. but i havent done any research since the only newer bus i looked at was an international 2004..

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 11:49 AM   #16
Mini-Skoolie

Fantastic, that's what I needed to know. I'm in Texas, and I'm not sure what the inspection process is like for a bus, but it sounds like I don't have to worry about plugging in to an inspection computer.
Old 08-02-2016, 12:28 PM   #17
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Chassis: International S3800
Engine: DT360
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
commercial vehicles are often handled differently than automobiles in many states... and RV's as well.. im not sure if you need emissions inspectins in your state or not... they dont always have to plug to the computer.. sometimes they can test by measuring emissions at the tailpipe.. thats something you'll have to call the DMV about in texas.. im in ohio and in a non-emission county so no checks were required on mine.. I have no knowledge of what others may have had to do

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 12:57 PM   #18
Bus Nut

Year: 1987
Chassis: IH
Engine: IH 9 Liter
Rated Cap: 66 + driver
I would be *VERY* wary buying one of these! The fellow I bought my Carpenter from has one of these in his "junkyard", and for a very good reason! The steel structural members are rusted out. I would not put any money into it without getting a chance to do a good inspection first. These types of buses typically have a lifespan of about 10 years before rust begins to eat 'em up. He also has a Ford E450 with a similar body, with the same problem.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 01:17 PM   #19
Bus Nut

Year: 1987
Chassis: IH
Engine: IH 9 Liter
Rated Cap: 66 + driver
Since I do live in GA, and if it's not terribly far, I'd be willing to go give it a good look over if you're interested.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 04:25 PM   #20
Mini-Skoolie

Brad, that is very VERY generous. I do automotive work for a living, and gave it a good look before purchase with very satisfactory results. HOWEVER....

We got a few miles away from the yard before I noticed she won't shift out of first gear. This wasn't apparent on the test drive, since everything else looked good, including trans fluid, and we were restrained to fairly narrow, slow city streets. The seller has been very gracious thus far, but we are on the side of the road waiting for a call back about where we go from here.

Tags
champion, coach, cts