Old 08-02-2016, 06:19 PM   #21
Bus Nut

Year: 1987
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: IH
Engine: IH 9 Liter
Rated Cap: 66 + driver
Ah, I wasn't aware you had already arrived in GA. I will assume that you did a thorough check of the body and all the structural parts were in good order?

Hopefully the transmission issue will either be something simple, or the seller will make good one way or another.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 06:24 PM   #22
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Ward/AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 78
Be careful buying a bus in GA. I've known more than a couple folks who got burned hard.
Old 08-03-2016, 06:57 AM   #23
Mini-Skoolie

Update: the seller offered to try to fix the problem while we wait, and paid for us to get a hotel. So far, so good. Fairly certain we found the problem, as it looks like the wiring harness receptacle on the transmission was bad. I tried to reseat the connector, and was greeted by ATF dumping out on me. They are replacing it. We'll see.

As for rust and mechanical issues, I feel pretty confident that this bus is in good shape. At this point, I have about 8 hours crawling around, looking, testing, and working on this thing. The seller has performed every maintenance item I requested without hesitation. I should have assumed the transmission warning was a bigger deal, but I never realized it was stuck in 2nd.
Finchwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 07:26 AM   #24
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Chassis: International S3800
Engine: DT360
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
in most vehicles 2nd gear is a "limp-home" mode.. on a modern vehicle like that bus limp-home can be triggered by many different things including engine issues..

wiring will defimitely place a transmission into limp-mode..

what trans is in that? an allison 2000 variant? or are those RE with an MD3060?

hopefully its a simple physical issue with the wiring and you can be back on the road.. otherwise you will have to get a computer connected to it to see why it is triggering limp-mode.. if its an allison most likely an allison tester will need connected..

CB: yeah we have seen more than one georgia bus go wrong on this forum unfortunately..

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 07:48 AM   #25
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Ward/AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 78
I've known at least 3 buyer of GA buses who had to have tows and repairs not too far down the road from picking them up.
Old 08-03-2016, 07:55 AM   #26
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Chassis: Ford e-350 single wheel
Engine: 5.4 litre
Rated Cap: 12
Summit county Ohio has e-check. I got my title changed to RV. No more e-check and cheaper insurance.
leadsled01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 11:00 AM   #27
Bus Nut

Year: 1987
Chassis: IH
Engine: IH 9 Liter
Rated Cap: 66 + driver
Very good. Any major rust issues will probably be apparent with a quick 5-minute walk-around and underside inspection. I know it was with the 2 nearby in the boneyard (maybe they originally came from northern states?)
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 12:11 PM   #28
Bus Nut

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finchwagon View Post
Update: the seller offered to try to fix the problem while we wait, and paid for us to get a hotel. So far, so good. Fairly certain we found the problem, as it looks like the wiring harness receptacle on the transmission was bad. I tried to reseat the connector, and was greeted by ATF dumping out on me. They are replacing it. We'll see.

As for rust and mechanical issues, I feel pretty confident that this bus is in good shape. At this point, I have about 8 hours crawling around, looking, testing, and working on this thing. The seller has performed every maintenance item I requested without hesitation. I should have assumed the transmission warning was a bigger deal, but I never realized it was stuck in 2nd.

That sounds like the kind of seller we need to support. It sounds like they are taking care of business.

Best of luck and please keep us updated.

S.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 10:57 AM   #29
Bus Nut

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finchwagon View Post

How did things work out with the repair?
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 11:20 PM   #30
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks everybody for the super helpful input and encouragement...

I'm sorry I took a while to get back here. As it sometimes goes with these things, it didn't work out. And hard. I've found it difficult to post this follow up, but here goes:

So, we went back to the yard the next day to find nothing had been done the previous night. Bummer. The mechanic was setting to work on the harness swap as I got there, so I crawled under to look around, and keep an eye on things.

While I was there, I decided to pull out the handy connector pinout I had found on the Allison 2200 TCU, to check for 12v and ground. Alas, no ground! In my experience, it seems that faulty grounds are 80% of all wiring problems, but that may be exaggerated. I brought this to the attention of the mechanic, who poopoo'd the suggestion. I just design this stuff, what do I know?

So, after breaking every single retention clip on the newish trans harness, the mechanic closes everything up and declares her FIXED. Turn the key... nope. Trans Comm Fail.

Here I am to save their bacon again! I get under there, cut the ground wire a couple of feet away from the controller connector, crimped on a ring terminal (mechanic didn't know what this was when I asked for one), and secured it under a handily pre-existing self-tapper in a nearby frame member. Key on... Problem solved!

After the long and arduous process of putting trans fluid in the terribly located filler, we once again collect our belongings, load the family in the chase minivan, and get ready to leave. I start her up, trepidatiously put her in reverse, and... roll forward dully. Zero reverse gear.

The mechanic was a super nice guy, but as we found out again here, no rocket scientist. He either missed the connector to the reverse shift solenoid, or it managed to back out despite his best efforts to jury rig it with no proper spring clip.

At this point, we can't do it anymore. I've put two full days of labor in here, and the teardown and re-repair on this transmission is going to take at least another day. I had to get back to work eventually, so I attempted to get in touch with the business owner to inform him of the situation and our immediate departure pending refund. "That's a problem." is his only reply via text message.

Long story short, after about three more hours of waiting, calling, arguing, waiting, and desperate prayer, the $3,900 is back in our account, minus the hotel bill he formerly was willing to pay for.

So, we're back home, a few pounds heavier (thanks gas station snacks!), and around $1,000 lighter in the bank account. We have a heck of a family adventure to remember, which isn't really so bad in the end.

"Hey, you remember that time we packed everybody up and drove to Georgia on a whim for the 'perfect' bus?! Haha, what a trip!"

Now that a little bit of the shell-shock has worn off, I am strongly considering the older dog-nose Skoolie gassers with 5-speeds. There is nearly nothing in that equation that I can't fix on the side of the road with parts from the local NapReillyZone. GM V8s are familiar territory to me, whereas diesels are shamanism and black magic. Press your advantage, I say...

Thanks again to everyone who has posted so far. This is just an incredible forum.
Finchwagon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
champion, coach, cts