Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-23-2016, 11:22 AM   #41
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
For actual travel you kinda NEED a diesel. The gasser I had got around 3mpg. That's totally NOT a fun way to see the country!

EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 12:16 PM   #42
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: B-60
Engine: 366 Chevy Big Block
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
For actual travel you kinda NEED a diesel. The gasser I had got around 3mpg. That's totally NOT a fun way to see the country!
Wow, that's quite the number. There's pretty widely varied experiences with gassers, but the sticky poll here seems to indicate that most folks are in the 5-7 range, which is fine with me. If I can improve that with my skills, great. If not, the cost of gas vs diesel roughly makes up for it, in my mind at least.

As stated prior, opinions are subject to change.
Finchwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 01:44 PM   #43
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
I think I had 3.5 on average.. maybe up to 5 on my old 454 Gasser.. decidedly I had played with the engine a little being a BBC.. so I possibly dropped its MPG in favor of better TQ / HP..

I think i read somewhere that the fords do a little better than the GMC's when it comes to MPG..

believe it or not going to a 4 BBL carb HELPS MPG out if you tune it right... Tune the front 2 barrels to be a bit leaner for many cruise situations... adjust your vacuum secondaries to come in a little sooner anf richer which eleminates detonation associated with lean and advanced timing...

ive done quite a bit with DIY EFI on hotrods and I think you could probably do some really good stuff with it on a gasser Bus and the array of sensors that are available now to use as inputs..

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 05:19 PM   #44
Bus Nut

Year: 1984
Engine: 366 Big block Chevy! :) w/ Stick shift
Two notes i can share on here;

First is that i am not a big traveler, so the gas motor probably fits my needs better.

Seond is the comment if we sell the house, go crazy...
It really reminds me what a gift these bus are (busses?)
I was at Home Depot last night and saw a 8x12 shed for $3k...
and spoke with a gal this morning who bought a house in the crappy side of town, for a steal ($100k) and here i am playing on Skoolie.net from my cozy bed in a 200sq ft rig that costs less than both, and if the neighborhood goes to crack... i will drive away. lol wow, I am so grateful for this Skoolie bus option.
Carytowncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 05:48 PM   #45
Almost There

Everybody has opinions but as gas bus does not make sense. If you drive it very slowly and on flat ground then maybe if you are lucky you will get 4-5 mpg. Any kind of after market FI will be very expensive.

Also good luck finding a gasser bus made in the last 20 yrs. 99.5% of buses are diesel for a good reason. You may find a 87 Blue Bird bus with a BB chevy but that old there goes your reliability (due to age and not maintained probably).

Buy what you feel comfortable with and what you want bottom line!
superduty_59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 07:05 PM   #46
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Coachwork: 1853FC International/Navistar
Chassis: 35' Retired Air Force Ambulance
Engine: DT466, MT643
Rated Cap: 6 souls and a driver
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carytowncat View Post

First is that i am not a big traveler, so the gas motor probably fits my needs better.

and spoke with a gal this morning who bought a house in the crappy side of town, for a steal ($100k) and here i am playing on Skoolie.net from my cozy bed in a 200sq ft rig that costs less than both, and if the neighborhood goes to crack... i will drive away. lol wow, I am so grateful for this Skoolie bus option.
This 10x20 rent to own for $149 a month after tax has served me very well for last 13 months.... Pay while I need it, free delivery... Tell them to pick it up when I'm done, free pickup

Internet pic of my building
Old 08-25-2016, 07:47 PM   #47
Mini-Skoolie

Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: B-60
Engine: 366 Chevy Big Block
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carytowncat View Post

Cary,
I just noticed that you have a gasser similar to what I'm looking at. Have you calculated mileage?

I definitely agree with you on all points. It seems like the most cost-effective economic insulation anyone can come by, plus numerous other benefits. Glad to hear you in the midst of enjoying yours.

So, Saturday I am going to look at an early 90's Bluebird on a GM chassis. It's auto (a little bit of a bummer?) and the owner feels pretty confident it's a small block! Cool... I can either mod it to suit, or yank it out for a Gen III 6.0L. It's in real good shape, and the asking price is more than fair.
Finchwagon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
champion, coach, cts