Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-02-2016, 06:19 PM   #21
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
Ah, I wasn't aware you had already arrived in GA. I will assume that you did a thorough check of the body and all the structural parts were in good order?

Hopefully the transmission issue will either be something simple, or the seller will make good one way or another.

Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 06:24 PM   #22
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Be careful buying a bus in GA. I've known more than a couple folks who got burned hard.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 06:57 AM   #23
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1991
Chassis: B-60
Engine: 366 Chevy Big Block
Update: the seller offered to try to fix the problem while we wait, and paid for us to get a hotel. So far, so good. Fairly certain we found the problem, as it looks like the wiring harness receptacle on the transmission was bad. I tried to reseat the connector, and was greeted by ATF dumping out on me. They are replacing it. We'll see.

As for rust and mechanical issues, I feel pretty confident that this bus is in good shape. At this point, I have about 8 hours crawling around, looking, testing, and working on this thing. The seller has performed every maintenance item I requested without hesitation. I should have assumed the transmission warning was a bigger deal, but I never realized it was stuck in 2nd.
Finchwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 07:26 AM   #24
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
in most vehicles 2nd gear is a "limp-home" mode.. on a modern vehicle like that bus limp-home can be triggered by many different things including engine issues..

wiring will defimitely place a transmission into limp-mode..

what trans is in that? an allison 2000 variant? or are those RE with an MD3060?

hopefully its a simple physical issue with the wiring and you can be back on the road.. otherwise you will have to get a computer connected to it to see why it is triggering limp-mode.. if its an allison most likely an allison tester will need connected..

CB: yeah we have seen more than one georgia bus go wrong on this forum unfortunately..

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 07:48 AM   #25
Bus Geek

I've known at least 3 buyer of GA buses who had to have tows and repairs not too far down the road from picking them up.
Old 08-03-2016, 07:55 AM   #26
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Startrans
Chassis: Ford e-350 single wheel
Engine: 5.4 litre
Rated Cap: 12
Summit county Ohio has e-check. I got my title changed to RV. No more e-check and cheaper insurance.
leadsled01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 11:00 AM   #27
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
Very good. Any major rust issues will probably be apparent with a quick 5-minute walk-around and underside inspection. I know it was with the 2 nearby in the boneyard (maybe they originally came from northern states?)
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 12:11 PM   #28
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finchwagon View Post
Update: the seller offered to try to fix the problem while we wait, and paid for us to get a hotel. So far, so good. Fairly certain we found the problem, as it looks like the wiring harness receptacle on the transmission was bad. I tried to reseat the connector, and was greeted by ATF dumping out on me. They are replacing it. We'll see.

As for rust and mechanical issues, I feel pretty confident that this bus is in good shape. At this point, I have about 8 hours crawling around, looking, testing, and working on this thing. The seller has performed every maintenance item I requested without hesitation. I should have assumed the transmission warning was a bigger deal, but I never realized it was stuck in 2nd.

That sounds like the kind of seller we need to support. It sounds like they are taking care of business.

Best of luck and please keep us updated.

S.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 10:57 AM   #29
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finchwagon View Post

How did things work out with the repair?
Old 08-22-2016, 11:20 PM   #30
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks everybody for the super helpful input and encouragement...

I'm sorry I took a while to get back here. As it sometimes goes with these things, it didn't work out. And hard. I've found it difficult to post this follow up, but here goes:

So, we went back to the yard the next day to find nothing had been done the previous night. Bummer. The mechanic was setting to work on the harness swap as I got there, so I crawled under to look around, and keep an eye on things.

While I was there, I decided to pull out the handy connector pinout I had found on the Allison 2200 TCU, to check for 12v and ground. Alas, no ground! In my experience, it seems that faulty grounds are 80% of all wiring problems, but that may be exaggerated. I brought this to the attention of the mechanic, who poopoo'd the suggestion. I just design this stuff, what do I know?

So, after breaking every single retention clip on the newish trans harness, the mechanic closes everything up and declares her FIXED. Turn the key... nope. Trans Comm Fail.

Here I am to save their bacon again! I get under there, cut the ground wire a couple of feet away from the controller connector, crimped on a ring terminal (mechanic didn't know what this was when I asked for one), and secured it under a handily pre-existing self-tapper in a nearby frame member. Key on... Problem solved!

After the long and arduous process of putting trans fluid in the terribly located filler, we once again collect our belongings, load the family in the chase minivan, and get ready to leave. I start her up, trepidatiously put her in reverse, and... roll forward dully. Zero reverse gear.

The mechanic was a super nice guy, but as we found out again here, no rocket scientist. He either missed the connector to the reverse shift solenoid, or it managed to back out despite his best efforts to jury rig it with no proper spring clip.

At this point, we can't do it anymore. I've put two full days of labor in here, and the teardown and re-repair on this transmission is going to take at least another day. I had to get back to work eventually, so I attempted to get in touch with the business owner to inform him of the situation and our immediate departure pending refund. "That's a problem." is his only reply via text message.

Long story short, after about three more hours of waiting, calling, arguing, waiting, and desperate prayer, the $3,900 is back in our account, minus the hotel bill he formerly was willing to pay for.

So, we're back home, a few pounds heavier (thanks gas station snacks!), and around $1,000 lighter in the bank account. We have a heck of a family adventure to remember, which isn't really so bad in the end.

"Hey, you remember that time we packed everybody up and drove to Georgia on a whim for the 'perfect' bus?! Haha, what a trip!"

Now that a little bit of the shell-shock has worn off, I am strongly considering the older dog-nose Skoolie gassers with 5-speeds. There is nearly nothing in that equation that I can't fix on the side of the road with parts from the local NapReillyZone. GM V8s are familiar territory to me, whereas diesels are shamanism and black magic. Press your advantage, I say...

Thanks again to everyone who has posted so far. This is just an incredible forum.
Old 08-23-2016, 02:28 AM   #31
Bus Nut

Year: 1984
Engine: 366 Big block Chevy! :) w/ Stick shift
I get it, i totally get it! I too went wth an older V8 GMC because it's familiar, next to no electronics, cheap parts, etc.

Wow reading your post... gosh i could feel that awful feeling of buying something that isnt working.

It stengthens my thought that it's a goodidea to long test drive a bus, at least up to operating temps, before handing over the money. Looking back i didn even follow this with this bus, and really risked it. Gosh i paid the guy, he left, before i even drove it. It was just a real risky purchase. Turned out fine but after reading lots of frighrening posts here i t reminds me the dangers possible.

aaand most turn out just fine in he end regardless, but i sure prefer to avoid stress uf i can.

Glad to read that you all made it home safely and have a good story to tell.
Carytowncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 06:52 AM   #32
Bus Geek

my last bus.. yea the one I shouldve done something with was a Chevy 454 Gasser with some kind of automatic.. probably an AT545 now that I think about it..

anything I ever needed to work on that bus and fix it up when I first got it I either bought at Jegs, summit, autozone, or Napa...

ive rebuilt so many Chevy small and big block engines over the years for my hotrods it became a weekend project to put a motor together, adjust up a Carb, dial in the timing and go play....

so I totally get it..

my current bus is a diesel.. every trucker that hears it says "that bus sounds fantastic".. ive driven it 6000 miles in 3 months.. but for gosh somewhow whenever I drive it I swear it "sounds like its gonna break".. perhaps im just not used to diesel sounds..

-Christopher
Old 08-23-2016, 07:05 AM   #33
Bus Geek

My first bus was an 80's Thomas/Ford B600.
Funny- that bus made me realize I didn't want a gasser or a 545.
Old 08-23-2016, 07:16 AM   #34
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
My first bus was an 80's Thomas/Ford B600.
Funny- that bus made me realize I didn't want a gasser or a 545.
admittedly I never put 6000 miles on that gasser the whole time I had it let alone in 3 months.. so at 3 MPG vs 10.5 MPG....

I also might think different about a 545 if I spent a lot of time behind a different trans... I may have that chance.. acquaintence of mine is looking at a newer IC or is it a thomas.. with a DT-466E and 2000 series.. he'll want me to drive it from texas to ohio if he gets it...
-Christopher
Old 08-23-2016, 08:20 AM   #35
Bus Geek

After the 545, my 643 I have now feels so RIGHT.
One of the newer OD trans would be really nice but even a 643 is a nice improvement.
Old 08-23-2016, 08:25 AM   #36
Bus Geek

a 643 is a PITA swap from a 545 but a 1000 is nearly a direct drop in... have to take 3/4" off the front driveshaft or just relocate the bearing plate behind the frame rail instead of in front of and bolt it up..

the 1000 can easily handle the TQ / HP that my DT-360 puts out.

-Christopher
Old 08-23-2016, 08:44 AM   #37
Bus Geek

Oh I didn't realize we were talking swaps.
For you, an OD trans would be the way to go. For lots of reasons!
Old 08-23-2016, 09:27 AM   #38
Bus Geek

oh I wasnt talking swap.. i was just mentioning it in case i wanted a trans upgrade from what I have now... esp if I end up driving that newer bus from houston to columbus i may fall in love with the OD..

the "Rumor" is the schools were dumping that bus the guy found because both A/C units went defunct and were going to cost more to fix than the bus was worth...

but I was talking swaps if I felt id gain anything from it.. in my case I may not since I choose to drive my bus slower than its top speed already.. though I would lower the RPM of the engine... but would I make enough power at the lower RPM's to make it effective? no idea... a 1000 could always be run in 4th gear with lockup and have basically a glorified 643 at that point... the lockup is of course worth something if I swapped..

as for the bus in houston.. if the buddy doesnt take it i may look at it, buy it, fix the A/C cheaply and re-sell it.. Bus A/C isnt the rocket science alot of people are made to believe it is.. (esp the A/C manufacturers who wayyyy over-charge for the components..)

crap I hijacked another thread....
-Christopher
Old 08-23-2016, 09:35 AM   #39
Bus Geek

I am so sorry to hear that things did not work out for you.

I understand your "GM V8" sentiment. I lean that way myself but have expanded my horizons a little bit.

Some years ago I bough a bus with an 8v71 Detroit and Allison 740. Both brand new territory for me. I had NEVER put a wrench to a diesel and I am not much of a mechanic.

After six years and 250k miles I had spent plenty of hours with a wrench in one hand and my cell phone in the other. I learned.

Today as I look at potentials for my next bus I find myself getting excited when I look at one with a two stroke Detroit. Familiar and relatively easy to work on. It became the diesel counterpart to the Chevy small block to me.

I am sure that with a little time you can become just as familiar and comfortable with a DT466,T444,6B or 6C power plant.

Best of luck in your pursuits.

Steve
Old 08-23-2016, 11:08 AM   #40
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks. Interesting discourse going on here, and I appreciate the feedback. Since this will be our first, I fully expect many opinions to change over time, no doubt about that.

I should have mentioned that I have spent a significant part of my career hours designing and assembling aftermarket programmable fuel injection/ignition systems, and a smaller portion doing volumetric efficiency calculations and working on/around performance gas engine builds. So, while this is not exactly the same ballgame, the idea of throwing on a cheap upgrade EFI system and tuning it out is not scary at all. Keeping a box of spare parts on hand would not be a strain at all.

Whether carb, EFI, gas, or diesel, I just don't want to end up stuck in the middle of nowhere with a problem I can't readily fix. I don't mind working on it, as long as it doesn't strand us on a trip.

So eventually I will be starting a build thread, Lord willing. In the meantime, a little more information:

We are a family of five (six on the way!), and looking at a Skoolie as a part time living space, sometimes family trip wagon, and general freedom of movement machine. My wife and I have always wanted to see the country a bit more, and we have family spread across Texas who we would like to spend more time with. It doesn't hurt prospects that this kind of thing might even allow us a place to live if we sell our house to move/upgrade/build/go crazy.

Is that off topic enough for you? Carry on, good people of the board!

Tags
champion, coach, cts