Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-16-2014, 09:27 PM   #41
Skoolie

Re: Good deal for a bus?

After a few more days on Craigslist & Ebay I havent found a lot, I found this FS-65
http://southcoast.craigslist.org/hvd/4417556593.html
It is only about an hour away so I may go and look at it, has anyone had experience converting a FS-65? Is this the high roof one? It has the 5.9 Cummings engine.
From here rust wise it looks great, Im struggleing to find any rust in the pictures and in New England theres a lot of that.

Also, do you think 3000 is a fair offer for this? Or should I go higher? I dont really care about the extra electronics
http://www.buscrazy.net/details.aspx?mvno=L4299

Also, any how much would it cost to get injectors replaced on a T444E? I might be able to get a 04 International RE real cheap but it needs injectors. Any Ford dealer can replace them, correct?

Thanks
Jake

jmar896 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 09:46 PM   #42
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmar896
After a few more days on Craigslist & Ebay I havent found a lot, I found this FS-65
http://southcoast.craigslist.org/hvd/4417556593.html
It is only about an hour away so I may go and look at it, has anyone had experience converting a FS-65? Is this the high roof one? It has the 5.9 Cummings engine.
From here rust wise it looks great, Im struggleing to find any rust in the pictures and in New England theres a lot of that.

Also, do you think 3000 is a fair offer for this? Or should I go higher? I dont really care about the extra electronics
http://www.buscrazy.net/details.aspx?mvno=L4299

Also, any how much would it cost to get injectors replaced on a T444E? I might be able to get a 04 International RE real cheap but it needs injectors. Any Ford dealer can replace them, correct?

Thanks
Jake

I would not take any bus to any dealership. If you have that kind of money, why are you messing with buses?

That is a inline 6 engine. Really easy to work on. However, I would be worried if it needs injectors. What did they do to it? Also I have never seen a rear engine bus with a engine that small. Not vary common. Millions of them engines in front engine buses.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 09:57 PM   #43
Bus Crazy

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All-American R/E
Engine: 8.3 Cummins

Hope you dont mind us being honest with you. We really arent trying to shoot down everything you say. With that said, I have been advised by school bus people to start away from Freightliner chassis buses.

I've seen R/E buses with 444's, gut less and they tend to overheat in the mountains. Also, injectors are expensive.

I would probably never buy a school bus from a "bus sale" place. Then again, I wouldnt buy one from a govt auction either.

I'll be quiet now......
opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 09:48 AM   #44
Skoolie

I do not mind all of the criticism. I would rather get every idea shot down than make a bad investment.

I will stay away from the fs-65.

I would probably bring it to a diesel shop but just checking about the Ford dealers. The bus is 2500 so I thought it might be a ok choice.

The one from Don brown bus sales I would not consider if it was a higher price, but for 800 bucks more I can get a bus with air breaks and and a dt466 with low miles instead of a a conventional with a t444e that's a year older with high miles off of Craigslist

I'll see what else I can find
Thanks
Jake
Old 04-19-2014, 08:18 PM   #45
Skoolie

Hi
The one from Don Brown Bus Sales sold, but I found a bus I like on Craigslist
It is a 2001 Thomas MVP RE in Virginia. It has a rebuilt title but has a 8.3 Cummings Engine and a MD3060 Transmission. I would upload pictures but the seller didnt upload pictures and the video he sent me is in swf format, so i cant upload to youtube. It is only $4500 and is the 84 Pass. version. It has 153,000 Miles. It has a little rust on the undercarriage but other than that its great.

If that doesnt work out i found this bus too
http://worcester.craigslist.org/cto/4430073946.html
The seller has 6 of them with the DT466 engine, and there only a few miles away, however i think ill go with the 1st one.

I found a all american re but its in Arizona, so its a little too far away. If anyone out there and is looking here is a link
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/cto/4419752953.html

Thoughts?
Thanks
Jake
Old 04-19-2014, 08:47 PM   #46
Bus Crazy

I'd be on a plane to AZ!!
Old 04-19-2014, 08:56 PM   #47
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by opus
I'd be on a plane to AZ!!
Literally I was just looking at that. Me and my son can go there for $256 with united then drive back but 39 hours of driving, that would probably take 4 days and it would probably cost near 1K in fuel. We will see about that but not a high possibility.

Any thoughts about the engine & transmission combo on the Thomas?
Thanks
Jake
Old 04-19-2014, 09:03 PM   #48
Bus Crazy

I'd want to know why it has a rebuilt title for sure! Thats generally not a good sign. You have a Craigslist link for it?

Consider the trip to AZ a vacation. After all, thats what your gunna do with the bus anyways, right?
Old 04-19-2014, 09:19 PM   #49
Skoolie

Quote:
I'd want to know why it has a rebuilt title for sure! Thats generally not a good sign. You have a Craigslist link for it?

Consider the trip to AZ a vacation. After all, thats what your gunna do with the bus anyways, right?
He said smoke damage over the phone. Ill see more about it on Monday. I have a link but its on my PC. Im on my phone now and wont be firing that up again till I'm back tomorrow.

I see what your saying about the vacation thing but is it much of a vacation when your sleeping in a bus that still has all the seats in it and wallydocking for 4 nights like that?Im not sure... Ill see more about it, if I could get him down to 3500 than I would DEFINITELY consider it, maybe I will stop at the grand canyon if I get it, I've always wanted to see it
Ill text the guy to get some more info on it.

Thanks
Jake
(Sorry if my phones autocorrect "fixed" a few words, It does it all the time in texts)
Old 04-20-2014, 01:14 PM   #50
Skoolie

Chassis: TC2000
Engine: Cummins 5.9

Wondering why the Opus bus would be something to steer clear of. I have actually been considering that one. It has been up for sale since January so I am sure the guy would bite at an offer. What is the problem on the Michigan green bus? I too would love the drive from AZ but it would make the bus cost alot higher for me as well.
Old 04-21-2014, 06:17 PM   #51
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny76
Wondering why the Opus bus would be something to steer clear of. I have actually been considering that one. It has been up for sale since January so I am sure the guy would bite at an offer. What is the problem on the Michigan green bus? I too would love the drive from AZ but it would make the bus cost alot higher for me as well.
Can you clarify the Opus bus? Im not sure what one your referring to.

Nothing is wrong with the Michigan green bus, but when I made my offer he said no and said he has a buyer lined up at asking price.

I learned that the 99 All American has a bad transfer pump, and that may be a deal breaker, so im looking at other options again. A local Atlantic Express yard is having an auction (The auction company hasnt posted a date yet) but the service manager is letting people look at the buses starting Wends. so I may be checking some of them out.
Old 04-21-2014, 08:04 PM   #52
Skoolie

Remember the bus at this link?
http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/cto/4430072853.html
Some good news, He has one with a DT466 and a MT643, and from what Ive heard is a great combo. Also the bus is already white too, saving me time from painting. I may be going to look at it on Thursday. Any questions I should ask? I think this may very well be the bus.
Old 04-21-2014, 08:21 PM   #53
Bus Crazy

Miles, hours, maint. records, rear gear ratio which is on a tag just inside the door up to the right on the front header. That will give you an idea on how fast it will go down the road. Before you do anything...check EVERYTHING!
Old 04-21-2014, 08:38 PM   #54
Skoolie

Quote:
Miles, hours, maint. records, rear gear ratio which is on a tag just inside the door up to the right on the front header. That will give you an idea on how fast it will go down the road. Before you do anything...check EVERYTHING!
He says he will get the miles and hours tomorrow. He has 6 of them, and he says they were set up for highway service. What is a good gear ratio to hit 65? He doesn't have any records past 2009, should that be a red flag? Most of them have 120000-150000 on them he says.
Old 04-21-2014, 08:46 PM   #55
Bus Crazy

Mine is 4.10 . I did 75 and that was way too fast, and there was a lot left to go too. But, I have a 2600rpm engine too. That DT wont be doing that. If you have records up til 2009, thats better than nothing. He's selling all 6 of them? Maybe Google the company name some and see if you can dig up any dirt on them.

All and all, its going to take your keen eye and guessing on anything you buy. It just so happens I was fortunate enough after I bought mine to hook up with the mechanic that too care of it its whole life. Thats pretty rare for sure!
Old 04-21-2014, 09:36 PM   #56
Skoolie

This is the one I was talking about.
http://ocala.craigslist.org/rvs/4413472318.html

Why would you stay away from this one?

The green bus was sold this weekend, I tried.
Old 04-21-2014, 09:56 PM   #57
Bus Crazy

For one, its got a 6v92 in it. 2 stroke parts are getting harder to find. Many reasons why I wouldnt want a Detroit, economy, overheating issues, engine oil is getting harder to find, oil leaks, the list goes on and on. They are great engines but lots of maintenance is involved. Parts are costly and very specific, same with the chassis. How many Orions do you see running around? Bluebird and Thomas parts are about as generic as one can get.

Then again, you are comparing apples and oranges between transit buses and school buses.

But what do I know, I live in MT. ;)
Old 04-21-2014, 10:13 PM   #58
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny76
This is the one I was talking about.
http://ocala.craigslist.org/rvs/4413472318.html

Why would you stay away from this one?

The green bus was sold this weekend, I tried.
Agreeing with Opus on the engine, The conversion looks like it wasent done well. The original rubber flooring is still down, and when you look in the pictures lots of stuff does not look like it was done well. Also, with the bus being 45 feet long, If i towed my van I would be within 2 feet of passing 65 feet, and over that is illegal. Also, it seems as it would lack the extra insulation and stuff that most RV's or conversions have, MBTA runs similar buses and if you get in one in a 15 degree day, even with the heaters full blast it only gets to about 50-55 degrees. However, being in GA you might not need those, and overall it is up to you. Also you wont get the same MPG as a skoolie would, I know that a 1996 RTS in highway service got 4.8MPG loaded in highway service (Had a DD 2 Stroke 6 Cyl.). Later they replaced it with a HDX set up for highway service and it got about 8.9 (I know this since one of my friends drives on the route that does this and they are responsible for bringing the bus in to get fuel)
Again, Its up to you, if you like it go for it, if you dont, you dont.
Old 04-22-2014, 07:31 PM   #59
Skoolie

Thanks for the input. I was just curious as to the down sides of it. I was not aware of the issues with the DD. I guess with all the emissions requirements it would no longer be an engine anyone would want. Makes sense. Although I am in GA now our plans are to return to MONTANA as we loved the time we spent there in 2012 and wish we could have stayed. We were a family on the road full time and we work camped at the KOA in Missoula. We will be moving into our bus for full time living so not just a week end thing. Thats why we want as much bus we can get for the money. That bus in MI would have been perfect for us but we missed it by a day or so.
Old 04-22-2014, 07:38 PM   #60
Bus Crazy

Dont get me wrong, the Detroits were great runners and reliable. Like you said though, not many want them anymore except for 2 stroke enthusiasts and parts are getting more and more scarce. I'd love to have one but I know that once I get one, the money [that I dont have] starts flowing.

Granted living in a skoolie is nothing like living in a coach, but you get what you pay for. Most times, even if you pay good money, you get someone elses conversion nightmares. We were in a brand new 2004 Prevost XL2 with slides....$850k. Talk about problems!!!