Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-10-2014, 07:56 PM   #81
Skoolie

Re: Good deal for a bus?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nat_ster
Inverter to run LED's?

You can get 12 volt RGB LED's just like the rest of the 12 volt LED lineup.

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cat/flex ... 9,135,4566:

Nat
I'm just assuming using one of the plug in power supplys they make for them. I could solder them in to the existing lighting wires but wouldn't do that until I'm home.

jmar896 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 09:17 PM   #82
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72

Your way over complicating this. A flashlight works for a get it home trip.

Repairs, upgrades get done at home.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 10:33 PM   #83
Bus Nut

My carpenter had that dash exactly and half the lights were out.... they were not burnt out, they didn't work at all. There is something in the design that went south and was a really common problem. New dash is $600+.... Now the whole truth is it doesn't matter whether the lights work or not, you can't see the dash through the steering wheel anyhow. I found the only way to see the damn thing was to lean forward. If you are looking for speedometer throw a gps unit on the windshield...that's what I did. All other info I kept a small flashlight right handy and glanced now and again.
Good luck!

*edit typo..can-can't..
Malkieri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 08:34 PM   #84
Skoolie

Quote:
Your way over complicating this.
Nat
I do that to everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkieri
Now the whole truth is it doesn't matter whether the lights work or not, you can see the dash through the steering wheel anyhow.
Do you mean cant?
Im hopeing to get a RE or a non dog FE and on those the dash is placed differently.
Today I went to a pick a part junkyard and grabbed a extra dash for $20. All the lights and guages work. It is the newer version though (This version ).On the unit it was from the undercarriage was wrecked but no damage to the drivers console. Its always good to have extras
I am thinking of waiting till school ends around here to get a bus, it is only a month now. I would of liked to have a bus by now but getting the right one is hard. School starts getting out here around the 10th of June so auctions should start by the 15th im guessing. Ill still look at something if it really jumps out at me from craigslist, but nothings doing that now.
Old 05-12-2014, 07:50 PM   #85
Skoolie

I think I found a bus! Its a 99 Amtran FE Flatnose. Ill have more pictures tomorrow. Its only 3000! Theres 2 avail and they have 135000 and 150000 miles. The seller is getting the engine model and more pictures tomorrow! I hope this is finally the end of my search!
Heres 1 picture

Ill have more tomorrow morning! This time ill have a picture of the undercarriage and everything. I also have preliminary crap floorplans made on paint that ill be posting later tonight or tomorrow. I also have a lead on a 99 Amtran RE with higher miles and a higher price but ill see how this goes first.
Old 05-12-2014, 09:17 PM   #86
Bus Geek

The am tran's most commonly had the DT466. One of the best engines.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
Old 05-12-2014, 09:18 PM   #87
Skoolie

So I found a few things out
Both have the DT466E engine.
Both break systems are coming up as air and hydraulic depending on the site (look below)
Both sold at auction a year a go, a good negotiation point
There 2000 according to vin decoders
Quote:
Manufacturer International/Navistar
Make International
Model Year 2000
Model Genesis
Engine Manufacturer International/Navistar
Engine Series DT-466
Engine Capacity L6, 7.6L (466CID)
Fuel Type Diesel
Vehicle Type Amtran School Bus
Cab Type School Bus
Chassis 4x2 FC School Bus MD Dsl - Amtran
Drive Line Type Type D - Front Engine 4X2
Brake System Air
GVWR Class 26,001 - 33,000lbs.
Country US Produced Incomplete Bus
Assy. Plant Conway, Arkansas
Quote:
VIN: 1HVBGAAN2YA025857
WMI / VDS / VIS:1HV / BGAAN2 / YA025857

Model: Genesis
Make: International
Model year: 2000
Manufacturer: International/Navistar
Manufactured in: United States (North America)
Plant: Conway, Arkansas
Sequential number: 025857

Body style: School Bus
Brake system: Air
Chassis: 4x2 FC School Bus MD Dsl - Amtran
Driveline: Type D - Front Engine 4X2
Engine capacity: L6, 7.6L (466CID)
Engine series: DT-466
Engine type: 7.6L L6 DIESEL
Fuel type: Diesel
Vehicle type: Amtran School Bus
Quote:
From auction site
Vin #: 1HVBGAAN2YA025857
Description:
Body: N/A
Engine: N/A
Pax: 54
GVWR: 31,350
Transmission: Auto
Brakes: Hydraulic. Air Parking Brake.
A/C: No
Mileage: 127,540 (these will be wrong anyways)
Condition: Runs with Jump.
Title: Yes
Think all of the breaks are air breaks or? Im confused.
Thanks for the help
Jake
Old 05-12-2014, 09:30 PM   #88
Bus Geek

Air brakes are the best there is.

Nat

Old 05-15-2014, 09:16 PM   #89
Skoolie

I have more pictures of the bus that is hopefully the one I'm buying but haven't had a chance to load them to photobucket. hopefully I'll have them on here tomorrow. the bus does have air breaks
look for an update tomorrow
thanks
Jake
Old 05-22-2014, 09:22 PM   #90
Skoolie

So the International FE's were a little too small. They are a no go. I think i want a 13 row preferably, or up to 15.
Has anyone here converted a Crown/Carpenter FE? Im looking at this one on ebay
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1997-Crown-Carp ... 5&pt=Buses
From a vin decoder it looks like it has the 5.9 Cummings engine
Unfortunately it has the AT545 Transmission
Quote:
Vehicle Condition:

This is a nice large sized bus. I bought it late last summer from a nearby district and am just now getting around to selling it. I had to put front tires on it but I bought used ones that apparently aren't in very good shape. The tread is pretty unevenly worn so I would recommend replacing them. The bus is very low mileage for the age. While it isn't in mint condition with a little work it would be really nice. I took the bus out and drove it a few weeks ago and it starts right up. It has a 6 cylinder Cummins engine. The engine seems to have plenty of power at lower speeds but the bus will not go much over 50mph on the highway. I asked the bus mechanic about this and he said that possibly the turbo was stuck open and not kicking in. Whether this is true I don't know but I am letting potential bidders know that 50 or so is about as high as it will go. Transmission shifts well. This bus has been in Arkansas its whole life and has little if any rust.
Im a little worried about the 50MPH speeds. From some googleing it looks like it is the turbo wastegate that must be open. I think that effects boost pressure but not overall speed that much. Any idea if that will effect the speed that much? And has anyone ever had this problem before? Im thinking its probably going to be fairly expensive to fix, but I like the bus, and I would like to say I own a "Crown".
Thoughts?
Thanks
Jake
Old 05-22-2014, 09:35 PM   #91
Bus Nut

http://www.skoolie.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=12570
Here ya go..... Bansil can probably answer your questions
Malkieri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 09:37 PM   #92
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkieri
http://www.skoolie.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=12570
Here ya go..... Bansil can probably answer your questions
I was reading his thread when you posted this
Old 05-22-2014, 09:48 PM   #93
Bus Crazy

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All-American R/E
Engine: 8.3 Cummins

It's probably got a low geared [high number] rear end. Which would limit top speed.
opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 11:33 PM   #94
Bus Geek

Buy the bus.

Rear ends, and turbo's are changeable. No reason to miss out on owning a crown due to a few small details.

Nat

Old 05-23-2014, 09:48 AM   #95
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by opus
It's probably got a low geared [high number] rear end. Which would limit top speed.
How much do you think a higher geared rear end would run? I know it cost about 50 bucks when I switched the rear end on a golf cart. Also where is a good place to find one?
Quote:
Buy the bus.

Rear ends, and turbo's are changeable. No reason to miss out on owning a crown due to a few small details.

Nat
I've been having trouble finding a new/rebuilt turbo online. Do the ones from the Dodge trucks with the 5.9 Cummins work?
Thanks
Jake
Old 05-23-2014, 10:18 AM   #96
Bus Crazy

From what I have read, you are talking $1000 for a rear end swap, fluid, seals, etc. Theres turbos all over Ebay, new, use, etc. I'm not positive on the Dodge aspect but I think they would be the same. Its the same engine but hp numbers might be different and such. Serial number off the engine would be the best bet.
Old 05-23-2014, 01:33 PM   #97
Skoolie

Year: 1993
Chassis: TE2000 FE
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: 84

Jake, go to your local Cummins dealer for rebuilt turbo. Ive found them to be the best source for part on the 5.9L bus engines.

Chuck
cschlessman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 04:38 PM   #98
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by opus
From what I have read, you are talking $1000 for a rear end swap, fluid, seals, etc.
Im assuming its gonna cost another $500 or so for install, so this might not be the best bus.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cschlessman
Jake, go to your local Cummins dealer for rebuilt turbo. Ive found them to be the best source for part on the 5.9L bus engines.

Chuck
I just called 2 of the local dealers and bolth of them quoted between 500-600 for a rebuilt one or about 750-800 for a new one. Yikes.

So if I get the bus at 1650 (The current bid) plus 1250 for the new rear + $200 for used steer tires and if the turbos bad another 500. Plus the cost of driving it 1500 miles and airfair there. Its gonna put me pretty close to 4.5K and now my budget is 3K. Maybe I should wait and see...
Old 05-23-2014, 04:42 PM   #99
Bus Crazy

You can do better than that one. Find one directly from a school district, not an auction. This is the time of year they are taking buses out of service. Call local school bus shops and enquire. Get one that has records!
Old 05-23-2014, 06:38 PM   #100
Bus Geek

Your going to let a Crown slip by because of a few bolt on parts?

Your looking in the wrong places for turbo's.

Get on the dodge diesel performance sites. A second gen dodge is the same engine.

This is a opportunity to upgrade the turbo for more power. No use in staying with the low power stock unit. Same with the rear end, this is a opportunity to upgrade for better highway speed.

Nat