Old 04-22-2014, 08:44 PM   #61
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
Re: Good deal for a bus?

I would never buy someone Else's conversion. Just more junk to tear out in the demo stage.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 08:46 PM   #62
Bus Crazy

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All-American R/E
Engine: 8.3 Cummins

Agreed 100%. I'd buy a shell.
opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 08:59 PM   #63
Bus Crazy

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All-American R/E
Engine: 8.3 Cummins

Just for reference, this is how to sell a used bus: http://www.nwbus.com/coach-buses-for-sa ... son-c03841

Pretty clean coach too!! I gotta stop looking at these.......
opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 10:30 PM   #64
Skoolie

I am going to look at the 1995 International FE's on Friday. I learned that some of them will need rust repairs to pass inspection, and that worries me a little. Hopefully its nothing too major.

If it is something major, Next Tues. I will go and look at this one. I can get a $15 bus ticket there.
http://www.truckpaper.com/listingsdetai ... ID=4496166
I have read good and bad about the 3126, but most of it I have read on truck fourms. I guess they were common in TopKick box trucks. Any thoughts here? I think I read something in Porkchopsandwiches thread about a week and a half ago but have to re check it out.

I will also be bidding on a auction for a International RE on ebay, although it has the T444E engine if I can get it for a ok price Ill grab it. Its a 03.

A question more related to building the skoolie, I can get Floor grade OSB cheap since im re doing some subfloor and I already have a bulk order, not from a place like home depot but a real lumber supply place. Should I order some extra for when I do the subfloor on the bus? OSB has been good in the addition I put on my house 3 years ago, even were it got wet (Soaked) during construction but im not sure about installing it in a mobile application.

Thoughts?
Thanks
Jake
jmar896 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 11:05 PM   #65
Skoolie

I just found this bus too. It has the DT466E engine and a 2000 Thomas body. Anyone here that can tell if its a high roof? Its only 2 hours away from me and at a good price.
http://www.truckpaper.com/listingsdetai ... ID=4943579
Thoughts on it?
Thanks
Jake
Old 04-23-2014, 11:26 PM   #66
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmar896
A question more related to building the skoolie, I can get Floor grade OSB cheap since im re doing some subfloor and I already have a bulk order, not from a place like home depot but a real lumber supply place. Should I order some extra for when I do the subfloor on the bus? OSB has been good in the addition I put on my house 3 years ago, even were it got wet (Soaked) during construction but im not sure about installing it in a mobile application.

Thoughts?
Thanks
Jake
Quote:
Originally Posted by nat_ster
What is with the sudden love for formaldehyde soaked pressed wood?

Yes google formaldehyde and decide if you want to live with the stuff.

High end houses here use plywood where budget houses use OSB. That is fact.

If you normally use 3/4 plywood as subfloor, you would have to step up to 7/8th OSB.

Not all home depo's will carry OSB from the same mill. They buy where ever they get the best deal with minimum trucking cost.

Here VCT commercial tile will not pass code if installed on OSB. Just like ceramic, porcelain, and stone tile can not be installed on OSB.

The homes built over the last ten years that use OSB as a FIRST layer of the sub floor, only have a 50 year expected life span. That's right, the house is ready for tear down, or major renovation by the time you pay off your mortgage.

20 years ago, the first layer of subfloor was 1x6 or 1x8. Far superior in every way.

OSB has vary little strength laying flat on floors and roofs. Constant foot traffic causes the fibers to delaminate.

OSB is stronger than plywood standing up on edge like on wall sheeting.

Don't try to up play a crappy, disposable product of the modern disposable age.

Water resistant don't mean squat. So you can get it wet 4 times vs twice with non water resistant before is swells and comes apart.

They don't build boat from OSB. This should tell you something.

If all you can afford is $8 sheets of OSB vs $18 sheets of better plywood, then use it.

Lorna, you want to hash this out, start a dedicated thread. I would be happy to show the facts.

Nat

Quote:
Originally Posted by nat_ster
OSB is like laminate flooring. Looks good at the time, cheap, easy to use, but in the end, it always ends up a swollen, bulged, ugly, wet mess.

Nat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango
Having had prior experience with grossly swollen OSB and conventional ply...I am planning on using only "marine grade" ply. More expensive yes...but I've yet to find a bus or RV that didn't leak...no mater how well it was built/sealed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swinada
I just used Plywood, looks way nicer and does not swell and rott away like OSB does. You take a sheet of plywood and sand it, varnish it and it looks presentable. Do the same with OSB, well you cant and it still does not look good.
Once OSB swells it looses most of its strenght, the few cents or dollars you sent are not worth the hassle. OSB has its place, but its not in a bus. just my opinion.

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 10:35 AM   #67
Skoolie

Thanks Nat, I guess I will grab some more plywood. Its only $13 a sheet, so a 5 dollar difference a sheet.
Does anyone have any thoughts on the buses with the links on my last post? Also anyone have an idea about how to tell a high roof from a low roof? I searched it but i got a message that the search was unavailable.
Thanks
Jake
Old 04-24-2014, 11:39 AM   #68
Bus Nut

Do you see the hump right above the 8? That is a Thomas High-top bus.... I don't know of any other that are as obvious as Thomas buses. A standard height Thomas will be flat even with the front and a low top (for small children) will dip down at that spot.
The 1 in Gray looks to be a high top, and also looks to have some deep rust around rear wheels.
Malkieri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 11:56 AM   #69
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkieri

Do you see the hump right above the 8? That is a Thomas High-top bus.... I don't know of any other that are as obvious as Thomas buses. A standard height Thomas will be flat even with the front and a low top (for small children) will dip down at that spot.
The 1 in Gray looks to be a high top, and also looks to have some deep rust around rear wheels.
Thanks. Then the RE I will go to look at if the International FE's are in too bad of shape has a high roof too. The one you posted the picture of looks almost identical to the one I might look at. That was a Montgomery county unit I assume. After reading Porkchops thread I will pay a mechanic to look at the engine if I go and check it out. Im not as automotive savvy as him, and the 3126 is a real temperamental engine in buses I think after reading 10 threads about it on multiple sites yesterday night.
Everything is rusty around here, if I go and look at that one I will check if anythings too damaged by rust.
Thanks
Jake
Old 04-25-2014, 12:22 PM   #70
Skoolie

Went to see the international fes today. The ones with the DT466 and MT643 were rusted wayyyy to much. There was one with a DTA360 and a mt643 transmission but wasn't sure about that engine. Looks like I will go and look at the 99 Thomas re on Tuesday. Right now I am in a traffic jam because of this (I'm not driving, my wife is)
http://www.wcvb.com/news/pedestrian-...?absolute=true
Hopefully within the next week I will have my bus, I want to start soon before it is mid May since it gets hot after that.