Old 05-01-2014, 11:13 PM   #71
Skoolie

Re: Good deal for a bus?

Forum must of been down for a few days I couldn't get on.

Here's some updates
The RE Thomas had to have 1500 to 2000 dollars of engine work according to my Craigslist mechanic. I can get more details later but I'm not home. I rode on a 2013 MC j4500 down here, it was a nice bus. I am in Arlington right now and will be home tomorrow, went to look at a 1989 international conventional today but the price wasn't right at 4K. I saw a few Montgomery County HDX's today, they were really quite auctally. I did some sight seeing too since I took till sat. Off.
I'll have more tomorrow night
Jake
jmar896 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 12:48 AM   #72
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72

I had trouble getting on for a few days on the weekend too.

The site said "General error. Too many open connections."

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 06:51 AM   #73
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nat_ster
I had trouble getting on for a few days on the weekend too.

The site said "General error. Too many open connections."

Nat
Same issue. Looks like it was resolved late Wednesday but haven't had time to post. The too many open connections error may have been a ddos but I'm not a Web security expert. Glad to have the forum back up though
Jake
Old 05-02-2014, 09:40 AM   #74
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: B3800 Short bus
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmar896
There was one with a DTA360 and a mt643 transmission but wasn't sure about that engine.
I have a friend who worked as a mechanic for many years with a tree planting company here in Ontario. The company had all sorts of used schools buses that took a real beating driving down logging roads. He LOVED the dta360s. They aren't going to throw you back in your seat during acceleration, but they'll get the job done. He was especially impressed with their fuel efficiency compared to the various V8s and larger inline 6s (dt466).
Old 05-02-2014, 01:02 PM   #75
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazty
Quote:
There was one with a DTA360 and a mt643 transmission but wasn't sure about that engine.
I have a friend who worked as a mechanic for many years with a tree planting company here in Ontario. The company had all sorts of used schools buses that took a real beating driving down logging roads. He LOVED the dta360s. They aren't going to throw you back in your seat during acceleration, but they'll get the job done. He was especially impressed with their fuel efficiency compared to the various V8s and larger inline 6s (dt466).
Bus yard here feels the same.

DTA 360's are his favorite.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
Old 05-10-2014, 10:03 AM   #76
Skoolie

Sorry for not posting for a while. Ive been busy, but that should be winding down soon.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazty
Quote:
Bus yard here feels the same.

DTA 360's are his favorite.

Nat
The one with that engine was sold 3 days after I looked at it.

My budget has shrunk after I lost some hours, so now its only about 3K for the bus. The conversion budget Im not gonna worry about right now but that will be shrunk a little too. Ive been looking for a RE but theres not too many around here.
Thanks
Jake
Old 05-10-2014, 05:32 PM   #77
Skoolie

Today I talked with one of my friends that drove old (Pre 96) International Buses. He said that some of them with this type of dash
did not have lights so they made night driving nearly impossible. I haven't seen any of these buses at night so Im wondering if that's true or not, It raises a little concern for me. Does anyone know if this is true?
Thanks
Jake
Old 05-10-2014, 05:46 PM   #78
Bus Geek

I call BS on the no dash lights.

It was poor maintenance. ALL road vehicles require dash lights to pass safety inspections.

Even in the rare event it didn't come with dash lights, it would be nothing to add a few LED strips to light up the gauge cluster.

Nat

Old 05-10-2014, 06:47 PM   #79
Skoolie

Quote:
I call BS on the no dash lights.

It was poor maintenance. ALL road vehicles require dash lights to pass safety inspections.

Even in the rare event it didn't come with dash lights, it would be nothing to add a few LED strips to light up the gauge cluster.

Nat
Thanks. I read somewhere that the bulbs frequently go out, its one of the most common failures on that board, but he said in earlier buses (hes drove 1960s buses) it was a factory option for gauge lights. I would add some LED's but chances are ill be driving home at night so installing LED's and a inverter to run them at a rest stop would be a b!tch. Ill probably do some RGB Led lighting in the cab area anyways but not till im home, I noticed they did that with newer MCI's and it looks nice and the blue doesn't destroy night driving, but people could still read in the dark.

The company did have poor maintenance, a steering axle broke about 1/4 a mile down the road from me on one of there buses, they were shut down soon after. Looking back, that was over 10 years ago. Wow im getting old.

Thanks
Jake
Old 05-10-2014, 08:25 PM   #80
Bus Geek

Inverter to run LED's?

You can get 12 volt RGB LED's just like the rest of the 12 volt LED lineup.

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cat/flex ... 9,135,4566:

Nat