Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-12-2009, 01:09 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Thomas Transit Liner
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: CAT 3208 Turbo
Good Sam Emergency Roadside Coverage... such a deal!

I don't know how many have tried or are members of the Good Sam Club but we signed up today for their roadside service & it appears to be one heck of a good deal! We will be traveling about 2000 mile on our maiden voyage in our Thomas & we have just been a bit concerned about what we woud do in the event of a breakdown, especially in the middle of nowhere. After researching Good Sam Emergency Road Service it turns out it is $79.99 a year for the first year ($109 per year after) & it covers alot for the money! They will tow your bus to a certified mechanic, not Joes auto down the street - even if it is hundreds of miles (great for the boonies). They will pay for a tire change, if you run out of fuel or any roadside service, lost keys etc (you must pay for the tire etc of course). The service also includes ANY vehicle that is registered in the members name so our Nissan Frontier & motorcycle are covered also along with any vehicles or drivers in the immediate family.

Just thought I would pass this on...

Jonathan

http://www.goodsamers.com/benefits/standard.cfm

ezbme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 08:35 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Re: Good Sam Emergency Coverage... check it out!

I hadn't thought about it, but sounds pretty good. One other thing about Good Sam, I have friends who insure their skoolie through Good Sam, and as such it is underwritten by GMAC... not sure if they save anything by going through Good Sam vs going directly to GMAC or not...

You just might be a Redneck if...
...your motor home used to be a school bus!
...Your living room has a steering wheel!
...Your home has brake lights

1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1989 Thomas Diesel Pusher (Cat 3208/Freightliner)
Chesapeake, Virginia
GoneCamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 08:42 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Re: Good Sam Emergency Coverage... check it out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneCamping
I hadn't thought about it, but sounds pretty good. One other thing about Good Sam, I have friends who insure their skoolie through Good Sam, and as such it is underwritten by GMAC... not sure if they save anything by going through Good Sam vs going directly to GMAC or not...
I originally found out about GMAC a while back before we bought our bus thru the Good Sam website when I was researching insurance. I think they are affiliated with GMAC as they advertise their services (which is who we chose after a long ordeal of gettin dropped by USAA, Progressive yada yada yada). The part I didn't understand is there is no difference in price for insurance when you become a member (as Good Sam advertises) as opposed to just signing up with GMAC directly! Well, enough babbling
Old 08-13-2009, 10:09 AM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: IHC
Engine: Dt360
Rated Cap: 19
Re: Good Sam Emergency Roadside Coverage... such a deal!

I have had a positive experience with the Good Sam Roadside service....thread link.
Old 08-13-2009, 11:37 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanF
I have had a positive experience with the Good Sam Roadside service....thread link.
Thanks for that feedback Sean & the link, makes us feel like we made a good choice in getting the roadside coverage! The customer care rep was so helpful when we set up the account, seemed like he genuinely cared about our needs which seems to be unsusual these days. I don't understand why I didn't find your thread when I searched for good sam... hmm.
Old 08-17-2009, 08:19 PM   #6
Skoolie

Quote:
That thread was part of the reason I got coverage through Good Sam. My policy's up for renewal next month, man talk about sticker shock! Apparently you get a special rate for being a new customer. Think I found a way around it though. Camping World has a very similar policy for a similar price. Eerily similar. So similar that I think they're the exact same thing (I think I read that it was underwritten by the same company). If so, my plan is to alternate every year; this way I'm always a new customer. I also need to double-check, but I think if you time it right you can get a free month. I signed up first of last September, and the policy expires the end of this September. So perhaps I can get a new policy the first of October, have it go through the end of next October, etc.
josetann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 07:59 AM   #7
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by josetann
Quote:
That thread was part of the reason I got coverage through Good Sam. My policy's up for renewal next month, man talk about sticker shock! Apparently you get a special rate for being a new customer. Think I found a way around it though. Camping World has a very similar policy for a similar price. Eerily similar. So similar that I think they're the exact same thing (I think I read that it was underwritten by the same company). If so, my plan is to alternate every year; this way I'm always a new customer. I also need to double-check, but I think if you time it right you can get a free month. I signed up first of last September, and the policy expires the end of this September. So perhaps I can get a new policy the first of October, have it go through the end of next October, etc.
What is the price difference they quoted you? I was told by the care rep the first year is $79, then it goes up to $109. Is this correct?