Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 11-05-2019, 07:22 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 61
Year: 2008
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE300
Engine: DT
Good Tool Deals

I couldn't find a generic, on-going thread to post about any good deals on tools or supplies, so adding this one.


For anyone in the Sears rewards program (free to join), you currently can get $15 off a $100 purchase, and if you spend $100 you get $100 back in rewards points. So essentially spend $115, get $15 off instantly, and earn $100 back (payable in 4 weekly $25 installments). This has been going on for the past 2-months and has enabled me to acquire loads of Craftsman and Dewalt power tools, pry-bars, sand paper, grinding discs, cutting discs, power cords, etc. for probably 25% of the cost of what I would have paid if I bought all the items at Lowes or Home Depot. I also got a space heater, work lights, goggles, face masks and things like that. I just bought a $140 20v cordless impact driver and drill combo set today for what will work out to be about $25.



Not sure how many people shop at Sears anymore, but at the moment there are some amazing deals there if you play the rewards program right.
cofrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 11:07 AM   #2
Bus Crazy
 
Sleddgracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: south east BC, close to the Canadian/US border
Posts: 2,262
Year: 1975
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: 8 window
Engine: 454 LS7
Rated Cap: 24,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cofrari View Post
I couldn't find a generic, on-going thread to post about any good deals on tools or supplies, so adding this one.


For anyone in the Sears rewards program (free to join), you currently can get $15 off a $100 purchase, and if you spend $100 you get $100 back in rewards points. So essentially spend $115, get $15 off instantly, and earn $100 back (payable in 4 weekly $25 installments). This has been going on for the past 2-months and has enabled me to acquire loads of Craftsman and Dewalt power tools, pry-bars, sand paper, grinding discs, cutting discs, power cords, etc. for probably 25% of the cost of what I would have paid if I bought all the items at Lowes or Home Depot. I also got a space heater, work lights, goggles, face masks and things like that. I just bought a $140 20v cordless impact driver and drill combo set today for what will work out to be about $25.



Not sure how many people shop at Sears anymore, but at the moment there are some amazing deals there if you play the rewards program right.
............................................
Sleddgracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 03:25 PM   #3
Bus Crazy
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Georgia
Posts: 1,651
Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
I've kinda given up on Sears, partly because there's not one left near me and the quality of Craftsman tools had gone downhill. In the event I need to swap damaged tools (kinda rare, but still ...) the last thing I have time for is finding the nearest Sears is 2 hours away.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 03:50 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 61
Year: 2008
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE300
Engine: DT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad_SwiftFur View Post
I've kinda given up on Sears, partly because there's not one left near me and the quality of Craftsman tools had gone downhill. In the event I need to swap damaged tools (kinda rare, but still ...) the last thing I have time for is finding the nearest Sears is 2 hours away.



You can still get DeWalt tools there though. I'm lucky enough to pass one of the 2 remaining locations in my state on my way home from work.


I'm not advocating for Sears or the Craftsman brand - just that there are some good deals there right now. That being said I've had good luck with my recent Craftsman tool purchases.
cofrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 04:24 PM   #5
Bus Geek
 
o1marc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Dawsonville, Ga.
Posts: 8,212
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad_SwiftFur View Post
I've kinda given up on Sears, partly because there's not one left near me and the quality of Craftsman tools had gone downhill. In the event I need to swap damaged tools (kinda rare, but still ...) the last thing I have time for is finding the nearest Sears is 2 hours away.
Plus they quit replacing tools like ratchets years ago, now you leave them and they repair them, you get your stuff back.
The repairs parts are crap and don't last near as long the originals.
o1marc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 04:26 PM   #6
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 712
Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad_SwiftFur View Post
I've kinda given up on Sears, partly because there's not one left near me and the quality of Craftsman tools had gone downhill. In the event I need to swap damaged tools (kinda rare, but still ...) the last thing I have time for is finding the nearest Sears is 2 hours away.
You can do Craftsman warranty swap at Lowe’s now.

Too bad Stanley bought the name and outsourced production to China. Quality is not there anymore.

RIP Craftsman
Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 04:42 PM   #7
Bus Crazy
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Georgia
Posts: 1,651
Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danjo View Post
You can do Craftsman warranty swap at Lowe’s now.

Too bad Stanley bought the name and outsourced production to China. Quality is not there anymore.

RIP Craftsman

Craftsman quality took a dive long before Lowe's got into the picture. That's one reason Sears went downhill over the last 20 years or so, they started cutting costs (quality of goods) and started selling Wal-mart quality goods at Sears level prices, and people stopped buying at the inflated prices.


Also, Shame on Sears for letting Amazon beat them at their own game! For many, many years Sears was *THE* go-to mail order place, way-back-when you could order darn near anything through Sears Mail order, from pocket-watches to entire houses (shipped in a boxcar as a build-it-yourself kit) to wives! (basically a mail correspondence version of today's dating apps, they could even arrange transportation should the couple wish to meet). Sears had the advantage of a fully built out distribution and logistics network, and many retail locations, Amazon had to start from scratch.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 05:43 PM   #8
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 712
Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad_SwiftFur View Post
Craftsman quality took a dive long before Lowe's got into the picture. That's one reason Sears went downhill over the last 20 years or so, they started cutting costs (quality of goods) and started selling Wal-mart quality goods at Sears level prices, and people stopped buying at the inflated prices.


Also, Shame on Sears for letting Amazon beat them at their own game! For many, many years Sears was *THE* go-to mail order place, way-back-when you could order darn near anything through Sears Mail order, from pocket-watches to entire houses (shipped in a boxcar as a build-it-yourself kit) to wives! (basically a mail correspondence version of today's dating apps, they could even arrange transportation should the couple wish to meet). Sears had the advantage of a fully built out distribution and logistics network, and many retail locations, Amazon had to start from scratch.
And Sears didn’t want to replace you with a robot (well maybe they would have if they’d gotten that far)

Support other retailers online or otherwise!
Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:51 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×