Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-10-2018, 08:06 AM   #1

Got our bus- Now paint!

We got our bus, a 2004 saf t liner pusher, roughly 30 feet
We bought it from a dealer here in Maryland, and needs to be painted something other than school bus yellow before we can take it off his lot.

So heres the thing, we can only go there during business hours, since they still have the keys (in order to be able to move it around the parking lot)
My boyfriend works full time, and i am going through treatments for cancer, so our time is very limited during the dealers hours. We do not like where it is sitting, its in a back lot, not even near the dealership and anybody can get to it. So needless to say we just wanted to get it painted and to our property.

The plan is (if it doesnt rain) after work Saturday, go out and paint it in a
couple hours on their lot, before they close and get it back to our property.

So, what do you guys think would be the quickest way to get this sucker painted and to our lot. I think were going to just get a brush and a nappy roller, and cut out the windows etc, and roll over the decals and everything. Then, when were actually ready to paint, just sand down the paint and decals. Does that sound like a good idea? My boyfriend wanted to just spray it down with some sort of cast, and peel it off when its at our property, but I think that sounds like a lot of work for a lot of nothing.

Also, what kind of paint would you use? I think I should just prime it, and i read i should use oil based paint? I cant find any rustoleum primer in gallons or qts anywhere nears us, but i shouldn't need rustoleum since im just painting over paint? Any help, ideas, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20180808_192246.jpg  

BJHarland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 11:01 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
You can use Rustoleum FlexiDip. Read up on it on the Home Depot site. Since you plan to repaint anyway, don't do ANY surface prep. That will make it even easier to remove the coating. According to the mfg, FlexiDip can (when exposed to UV like out doors) be easily peeled off for up to 3 months. Good luck, Jack
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 12:09 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ol trunt View Post
You can use Rustoleum FlexiDip. Read up on it on the Home Depot site. Since you plan to repaint anyway, don't do ANY surface prep. That will make it even easier to remove the coating. According to the mfg, FlexiDip can (when exposed to UV like out doors) be easily peeled off for up to 3 months. Good luck, Jack
Sorry, Trunt, but I'm gonna have to disagree with you on this one.
I'd strongly advise NOT to use it. Its way more a PITA to remove than folks say it is. That and plasti-dip are just not suitable and cost a FORTUNE.

OP- I'd do what you're thinking. Paint it quick with one coat of rustoleum primer. Just a quickie to change it to another color. The rusto primer will be easy to sand and work with later. It comes off EASY if you go light and don't do any prep. Also- only paint the minimum they'll require. If you can paint 60% and they're satisfied then that would save you some work.

That's my 2 cents.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 01:25 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
I'd like to more about why they are making you paint it before it leaves the lot. They have no authority to enforce a law. How do they know I didn't purchase it to keep it in service as a bus?
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 02:49 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Never heard of anyone being forced to re-color before leaving the lot. Sounds weird to me. That said, there are tons of "Peelable" paints at the auto stores these days.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 02:58 PM   #6

Thanks for your input guys!

East Coast- I think thats what were going to do, just throw a thin layer on rustoleum on, thanks so much for your help

Marc- I honestly dont know. We bought it from a local dealership off ebay, and the guy told us that we would have to paint it before he could allow us to take possession of it, per Maryland law (he never said a word about stop signs or anything else). He told us we could paint it on their lot and take our time getting it off the lot, and I never really second guessed it. But I want to get it home asap, so I'm basically just keeping him happy until we get our bus. Plus he hasn't given us our temporary tags, and i have a feeling hes not going to until he sees the bus not yellow, but your totally right, seems like its not really his job to make sure it gets painted
Old 08-10-2018, 03:03 PM   #7

Tango- Yes now that I'm researching it, i can't find anything saying I have to paint it. He told us its so somebody can't just buy a bus and go around picking up kids, which sounded like something Maryland would do, so I never looked into it.
Old 08-10-2018, 03:15 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
This sounds like an easy one. If only the school can have it yellow, how did they take possession and ownership without painting it? If by law you can't drive it off, then neither can they, make them paint the bus so they can legally sell it to you.
They have absolutely no liability if they sell it to you that color.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote