Old 04-10-2015, 05:24 PM   #21
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: ISC 8.3
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggiemae View Post
We really appreciate your insight.
Did you still use the same method... The one posted earlier with the air hammer and modified chisel?
How many chisels did you go through with the ceiling?
Yeah, same method. On my thread there's a little mention about using a pin punch in the air chisel for popping the mandrels out of the rivets, too. But I only did two ribs with the chisel before pulling out the plasma cutter to test how much mess it would make. No chisels were harmed because I changed methods... but I did start a small fire on the floor with the shower of burning metal from the plasma cutter. Oops.
family wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 07:28 PM   #22
Bus Nut

Did you pop out the mandrel first or just try to chisel straight through the whole thing?
taskswap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 07:43 PM   #23
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by taskswap View Post
Did you pop out the mandrel first or just try to chisel straight through the whole thing?
The walls down low by the chair rail had some small rivets, 1/8" maybe, which I just went after as-is. They were small, aluminum, and come to think of it the mandrels were usually broken off pretty deep too. But for the larger aluminum rivets on the wall, and for the steel rivets on the ceiling, the mandrels were usually broken very near the surface of the head. I popped those mandrels out through the back before chiseling the heads off. It's amazing how much difference it makes. It made a notable difference even when plasma cutting instead of chiseling the heads off, too.
Old 04-10-2015, 09:57 PM   #24
Bus Nut

Is this a suitable technique for exterior panels you plan to re-use, or does the chiseling damage the holes/surface? I was planning to drill those but this is starting to sound like a good excuse to get a new tool. ;)
taskswap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 10:08 PM   #25
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Is this a suitable technique for exterior panels you plan to re-use, or does the chiseling damage the holes/surface? I was planning to drill those but this is starting to sound like a good excuse to get a new tool. ;)
It's pretty rough. The chisel will definitely scratch and mar the surface, but has a good chance of denting or even cutting into the panel. I'm going to re-use my rub rails and my roof, so those rivets are getting the drill treatment. For that I've been drilling to where the head is nearly severed from the shank, then putting the pointed chisel (or drift? ) into the hole. It finishes breaking the head from the shank and (sometimes faster, sometimes slower) pops the shank out the back side of the hole. But it's hard to control; often it bounces out and pecks at the surrounding metal which I'm not so happy about.
Old 04-11-2015, 09:50 AM   #26
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: B3800 Short bus
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 36
Quote:
Another method for removing blind rivets is to use a flap-disc on an angle grinder. I have removed many blind rivets this way when I wanted to preserve the metal. It removes paint or course, but if you plan on painting anyway it isn't a problem. Just be careful not to dig too deep.

Old 04-11-2015, 10:04 AM   #27
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
I use my 1 inch hand chisel with hand guard and 2.5 pound hammer to remove the rivets without damaging the panels. The hand approach gives more control than the air chisel.

Some of my rub rails had the rivets dimpled into a indent, preventing the chisel from getting under the edge of the rivet. Like others, I drilled out the center, then used the chisel to remove the head.

I have also used the flap wheel. It worked good, but I prefer to use methods that don't use expensive consumables like drill bits and flap wheels.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 06:37 PM   #28
Bus Nut

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: I.H.
Engine: DT360
Interesting. Another one of my messages deleted from a thread.
HolyBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 07:11 PM   #29
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Quote:
Originally Posted by HolyBus View Post
Interesting. Another one of my messages deleted from a thread.
I better start watching for that too. thx

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 11:59 AM   #30
Almost There

Year: 1975
Coachwork: Ward
Engine: Ford 391 V8
Thumbs up

Yaay we took the first panel down yesterday! Justin used the grinder for the dome headed rivets and a drill for the hollow ones! Thanks for all your help!
The panel is still in great shape! We left one side on but have full access to the needstobeinsullated space. We also finished painting the outside!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (183.9 KB, 9 views)
maggiemae is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ceiling, ford, great stuff, insulation