Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-16-2015, 09:17 AM   #41
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
Tar paper is used in wood building construction, not metal.

Inside the ceiling of the bus is inside the living space. The ceiling is not a vented space like in a house. The tar paper will stink.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 09:54 AM   #42
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggiemae View Post
Also, making sure we get plastic that can handle high temperatures.
Foams and plastics are the same thing, foam just has a huge amount of air blended into it. Very few plastics have service temperatures below 200F. There's a good table here:

Operating Temperature | Plastic Properties Tables | Plastics Technical Properties | Dotmar

PVC and PE are the lowest but you're probably not planning on using grocery bags here. ;) Note that the lowest, PVC, has an operating temp of 60C - that's 140F. You don't really want to be getting that hot, anyway. At that point it's time for a nice coat of reflective white paint.

As long as you aren't putting these on your exhaust manifold, you can use plastics (and foams) in a huge array of places. I think nat_ster's comment about heat wasn't about plastics, it was about things like tar paper. That stuff smells NASTY when it gets hot.
taskswap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 10:15 AM   #43
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: ISC 8.3
Quote:
Originally Posted by taskswap View Post
I think nat_ster's comment about heat wasn't about plastics, it was about things like tar paper. That stuff smells NASTY when it gets hot.
Smells ripe for an experiment for the benefit of science. Who will put a piece of tar paper into their oven and bake it for us? As the kids would say: NOT IT! (maybe a portable toaster oven would be a good choice so the test can be done outdoors!)
family wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 11:10 AM   #44
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: B3800 Short bus
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by family wagon View Post
Smells ripe for an experiment for the benefit of science. Who will put a piece of tar paper into their oven and bake it for us? As the kids would say: NOT IT! (maybe a portable toaster oven would be a good choice so the test can be done outdoors!)
I threw some scraps of tar paper in a fire once. Nasty! It was like a small tire fire. Thick, black smoke and a foul, potent smell. I won't be doing that ever again..
Old 04-16-2015, 12:52 PM   #45
Bus Geek

Yup, the tat paper is what I was talking about smelling bad.

I have only one concern about the plastic idea. Plastic is dense, and therefore it will conduct the heat and cold. Not enough air pockets to become a insulator.

How about coroplast. It's basically plastic cardboard. It contains air spaces that will offer a insulation space vs a solid sheet of 1/4 plastic that will still transmit the cold and heat.

It is also available in many thicknesses.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=corop...2F%3B400%3B319

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
Old 04-16-2015, 02:00 PM   #46
Almost There

Year: 1975
Coachwork: Ward
Engine: Ford 391 V8
Oh those are good points. The only thing is that we wouldn't be burning the tar paper, and although it does smell, I'm not sure how much it would affect the smell of our living space, being that the inside of the ceiling is somewhat closed off. And there shouldn't be that much heat coming thru. In any event, great points about why not to use tar paper. Thanks guys!! Cross off the list!

I will look at the other options whilst at Home Depot. Or just not do the sandwich idea alltogether, although I feel like there might be some value to putting something in between the ribs and metal. I will have to do more research at the store.

Oh, another crazy idea (boy I'm just full of them!). So last night when I couldn't sleep, I kept thinking about what a friend said yesterday about making our bus "zombie-proof".
It's actually not a bad idea!
Putting metal sheets on hinges outside of the bus windows. Two sheets to each side, about 6 windows long. They will have those opener things that hatchback cars have to hold them up, foam weatherstripping around the edges, and a lever at the bottom to lock them (kind of like the lever you would find on a wood stove) into place from the inside. Anyone seen a bus like that?
I'll sketch out my idea later and post it. I think that would really help with window insulation as well, without having to permamately remove windows and cover them.
maggiemae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 02:35 PM   #47
Bus Geek

Mag, what are you smoking?

Myself and others are seriously trying to help you build a better bus. Stuff like that is just...........

Nat

Old 04-16-2015, 03:02 PM   #48
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Oh those are good points. The only thing is that we wouldn't be burning the tar paper, and although it does smell, I'm not sure how much it would affect the smell of our living space, being that the inside of the ceiling is somewhat closed off. And there shouldn't be that much heat coming thru. In any event, great points about why not to use tar paper. Thanks guys!! Cross off the list!

I will look at the other options whilst at Home Depot. Or just not do the sandwich idea alltogether, although I feel like there might be some value to putting something in between the ribs and metal. I will have to do more research at the store.

Oh, another crazy idea (boy I'm just full of them!). So last night when I couldn't sleep, I kept thinking about what a friend said yesterday about making our bus "zombie-proof".
It's actually not a bad idea!
Putting metal sheets on hinges outside of the bus windows. Two sheets to each side, about 6 windows long. They will have those opener things that hatchback cars have to hold them up, foam weatherstripping around the edges, and a lever at the bottom to lock them (kind of like the lever you would find on a wood stove) into place from the inside. Anyone seen a bus like that?
I'll sketch out my idea later and post it. I think that would really help with window insulation as well, without having to permamately remove windows and cover them.
I'm kind of thinking that once you try to re-install a ceiling panel or two, you'll end up doing it in wood or plastic.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 03:07 PM   #49
Bus Geek

Yup. That's how it works for 99% of people who try to reinstall the metal ceiling.

Also once you put something under the metal, none of the holes line up, none of the panels will be the right size.

It's just a bad idea all around.

Nat

Old 04-16-2015, 03:10 PM   #50
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: ISC 8.3
aaronsb did a little science experiment last fall in his bus. Have a look at it -- especially since you're going to be keeping the metal ceiling on the inside, I think your initial inclination to insulate between the sheet and the ribs is very good. It's just a matter of weighing the pros and cons and then choosing a material.

Every material has cons so you just have to pick a set of cons you're willing to accept. Experiments like the one above can be done on the cheap and can help you feel better about your choice, or help you change course early while the mistake is still small (just one piece of material that is damaged and unreturnable, for example) if it goes badly. Toaster oven, electric griddle/skillet from a thrift store, hair dryer, etc might be cheap accessible heat sources for a quick test of your chosen material.

Regarding plastic: Nat is right, it's dense, and thermal insulators usually are low-density. Per the chart at engineering toolbox insulators have conductivity less than 0.16 W/m-K, and the solid plastics are not considered insulators because they're above that level (they're 10x more conductive than foams!). But even though they're not good insulators, they'll still perform better than steel-on-steel, and ultimately that's what you're after. It's just a matter of how much better you want it to be.
family wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 06:47 PM   #51
Almost There

We are definitely leaning towards a pipe wrap insulation tape (or something similar) after looking into this more. Quick, easy, and it will put some insulation in between the metal. In addition, we will be using panel foam insulation (scored to fit), with 'great stuff' in the gaps around the edges. Hallelujah! I will let you guys know how this goes! I really appreciate all of your help with this. Your expertise is gold!

And oh, how I wish Aerogel were cheaper, though it probably wouldn't work anyways. Have you read about this "new" material? Pretty amazing!

We were talking about putting wood up on the inside too. We priced it at about 200 for the wood we would want (and boy, did we spend a lot of time deciding what we would want if we did it). However, we would be loosing another inch of space from the top... and that will be cutting it close for us. We had decided that we are going to try and salvage the ceiling panel, and put it back up to save money. If that doesn't work, we will use wood, it's just our "Plan B".

Quote:
Originally Posted by nat_ster View Post
Mag, what are you smoking?

Myself and others are seriously trying to help you build a better bus. Stuff like that is just...........

Nat
Ok, so to clarify what was said earlier. Um, no... I am not smoking anything (despite what everyone apparently thinks about Coloradans). I think you might just be jelly of my super-awesome idea, Nat!

I think the exterior metal shutters are a good idea, and we are definitely going to look into this more. It's all part of getting this bus as insulated as possible, and those windows are going to loose a LOT of heat.

Plus, they can double as armor! Good for those Colorado bears and mountain lions!

Let me show you a rough plan that I drew up, to clarify what I was saying earlier.
The key points with this plan that will make it worthwhile:
*ability to have four+ panels so we can decide how many we want open
*foam weatherstripping on all of the borders
*ability to secure the panel very well, using levers on the inside and full length hinges.
Attached Thumbnails
Scan.jpg  
Old 04-16-2015, 08:36 PM   #52

Year: 1995
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw
That's what you call a food truck.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 08:38 PM   #53
Bus Geek

The only problem I see is it could be in the way if you want an awning, which I wouldn't be without!
Old 04-16-2015, 08:57 PM   #54
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycal View Post
That's what you call a food truck.
Hahahah oh my god.

Here I was thinking this was the best idea ever. I was totally imagining a "the walking dead" style armored bus... And it's totally a food truck. Sweet! Hey, I can work with that!!

haven't thought about awnings yet...
Old 04-16-2015, 09:10 PM   #55
Bus Geek

Just make sure its a gluten free armored zombie food truck.
Good project name there!
Old 12-12-2016, 10:18 AM   #56
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: Blue Bird TC RE 3904, Flat Nose, 40', 277" wh base
Engine: 8.3L Cummins ISC 260hp, MT643, 4.44 rear
Rated Cap: 84 pax or 1 RV; 33,000lbs
Quote:
And oh, how I wish Aerogel were cheaper, though it probably wouldn't work anyways. Have you read about this "new" material? Pretty amazing!
So, there are 4 or 5 threads total with "aerogel" in them. Has anyone done an entire bus in them? Just giving the exterior dimensions of a bus to a guy that mentioned this stuff to me, he said about $5k. I haven't gone back to check his math. And I have since found the interior dimensions. I saw on one of the build threads that spray in foam was $2k to have it outsourced. If this stuff gives you 3x the insulation... where are the WI, MN, MT, ND skoolie kids?

Quote:
We were talking about putting wood up on the inside too. We priced it at about 200 for the wood we would want (and boy, did we spend a lot of time deciding what we would want if we did it). However, we would be loosing another inch of space from the top... and that will be cutting it close for us. We had decided that we are going to try and salvage the ceiling panel, and put it back up to save money. If that doesn't work, we will use wood, it's just our "Plan B".
I'll have to check your build; what was your plan on wood?

I've jumped on the pallet reclaimed wood bandwagon for some around the house projects (shelves, bookcase, etc.). I think they would make a great floor. It will take a planer, joiner, and a buttload of pallets but hey they're free as long as we aren't counting labor.

Man, are those screw nails a lot of labor!!

Quote:
Plus, they can double as armor! Good for those Colorado bears and mountain lions!
Especially the zombie bears and zombie mountain lions.
Brewerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 11:13 AM   #57
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
There appears to be a lot of marketing hype around the term "aerogel". Any number of products now embed that name or term in their sales pitch.

Be advised...true aerogel really is amazing stuff...but that ain't what they are selling on the internet. Real aerogel is probably the most expensive product on the planet by weight and NASA can barely afford the stuff.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 11:30 AM   #58
Bus Nut

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: Cummins 8.3/Allison MD3060
Rated Cap: 84
I heard that the science behind real aerogel is greatly over-hyped. Essentially, the same results can be achieved by attaching tar paper to something using Great Stuff as an adhesive.

Rameses is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ceiling, ford, great stuff, insulation