Old 05-07-2016, 06:29 PM   #1
Skoolie

Great stuff in ribs

I've seen people putting what appears to be great stuff in the ribs of the bus. Do you just shoot it down from the top and let it go down and wipe or cut excess? Any risk of great stuff expanding in a manner that would push out the ceiling from the rivets or anything like that?
EricW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 07:22 PM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2002
Coachwork: tc2000
Chassis: blue bird
Engine: cummings 5.9
No way! maybe you are joking? Maybe you didn't phrase that correctly.
the general idea as I understand it, (and partially did myself, is once your ceiling is removed, put some blue tape over the rivet holes and spray some in the channel via a rivet hole. let expand, and remove tape.
I guess it helps some, and should cut down on condensation too.
scootie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 07:45 PM   #3
Skoolie

Year: 1997
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: Genesis
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 84
Great stuff requires air and moisture to properly set. In an enclosed space like that, it will not fully set and, as I understand it, will cause metal destruction. The general consensus here has been to avoid great stuff, especially for enclosed spaces.
Timelord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 08:06 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freight-shaker (Freightliner)
Engine: Cat 3126b 250 HP
Rated Cap: Only 1 seat
Timelord is right. You won't get proper cure from it.

Why not just dip a rag in tsp, clean it out, dip another rag in some rustoleum, pull it through, and let it dry. Those ribs aren't going to make any difference in insulation factor in the grand scheme of things. If you're worried about making sure it doesn't transfer heat and cold, fill it with silicone..........
Old 05-07-2016, 09:01 PM   #5
Skoolie

Not super concerned. I put 1.5in foam board insulation between the outer skin and the seat rail part then I'm attaching 2x4s to the ribs. This means that there won't really be any insulation between the ribs and the plywood inside. I suppose I could always go get more insulation but that seems a little silly seeing as I'm keeping most of my windows. Idk any opinions? Maybe reflectix on the ribs just so there's something
Old 05-07-2016, 09:07 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freight-shaker (Freightliner)
Engine: Cat 3126b 250 HP
Rated Cap: Only 1 seat
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricW View Post
Not super concerned. I put 1.5in foam board insulation between the outer skin and the seat rail part then I'm attaching 2x4s to the ribs. This means that there won't really be any insulation between the ribs and the plywood inside. I suppose I could always go get more insulation but that seems a little silly seeing as I'm keeping most of my windows. Idk any opinions? Maybe reflectix on the ribs just so there's something
Go to the UPS store and get some styrofoam peanuts and cram'em in there!!
Old 05-07-2016, 09:10 PM   #7
Site Team

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 RE
Engine: 8.3l Cummins
Rated Cap: 78
The ribs channel any moisture or leaks down their length and into the wall of the bus body, then out the drainholes along the body wall. I'd avoid spraying anything in those cavities except maybe some anti corrosion wax.

A layer of insulation over the ribs is the way to do it. At a minimum, acrylic foam insulation tape will greatly reduce the thermal bridging.
aaronsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 09:38 PM   #8
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronsb View Post
The ribs channel any moisture or leaks down their length and into the wall of the bus body, then out the drainholes along the body wall. I'd avoid spraying anything in those cavities except maybe some anti corrosion wax.

A layer of insulation over the ribs is the way to do it. At a minimum, acrylic foam insulation tape will greatly reduce the thermal bridging.
Thanks. That's the info I was looking for. Maybe I'll do the tape as well as just throw another layer of maybe just some of that cheap white foam insulation rather than spending more on the good foam board. Otherwise I could just glue some scraps onto the ribs
Old 05-07-2016, 09:40 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Ward/AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timelord View Post
Great stuff requires air and moisture to properly set. In an enclosed space like that, it will not fully set and, as I understand it, will cause metal destruction. The general consensus here has been to avoid great stuff, especially for enclosed spaces.
THIS^