Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 05-07-2016, 06:29 PM   #1
Skoolie
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 148
Great stuff in ribs

I've seen people putting what appears to be great stuff in the ribs of the bus. Do you just shoot it down from the top and let it go down and wipe or cut excess? Any risk of great stuff expanding in a manner that would push out the ceiling from the rivets or anything like that?
EricW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 07:22 PM   #2
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 61
Year: 2002
Coachwork: tc2000
Chassis: blue bird
Engine: cummings 5.9
No way! maybe you are joking? Maybe you didn't phrase that correctly.
the general idea as I understand it, (and partially did myself, is once your ceiling is removed, put some blue tape over the rivet holes and spray some in the channel via a rivet hole. let expand, and remove tape.
I guess it helps some, and should cut down on condensation too.
scootie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 07:45 PM   #3
Skoolie
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 206
Year: 1997
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: Genesis
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 84
Great stuff requires air and moisture to properly set. In an enclosed space like that, it will not fully set and, as I understand it, will cause metal destruction. The general consensus here has been to avoid great stuff, especially for enclosed spaces.
Timelord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 08:06 PM   #4
Bus Nut
 
Docsgsxr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Arizona via Baton Rouge
Posts: 640
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freight-shaker (Freightliner)
Engine: Cat 3126b 250 HP
Rated Cap: Only 1 seat
Timelord is right. You won't get proper cure from it.

Why not just dip a rag in tsp, clean it out, dip another rag in some rustoleum, pull it through, and let it dry. Those ribs aren't going to make any difference in insulation factor in the grand scheme of things. If you're worried about making sure it doesn't transfer heat and cold, fill it with silicone..........
__________________
My build thread - viewtopic.php?f=9&t=467197
Docsgsxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 09:01 PM   #5
Skoolie
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 148
Not super concerned. I put 1.5in foam board insulation between the outer skin and the seat rail part then I'm attaching 2x4s to the ribs. This means that there won't really be any insulation between the ribs and the plywood inside. I suppose I could always go get more insulation but that seems a little silly seeing as I'm keeping most of my windows. Idk any opinions? Maybe reflectix on the ribs just so there's something
EricW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 09:07 PM   #6
Bus Nut
 
Docsgsxr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Arizona via Baton Rouge
Posts: 640
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freight-shaker (Freightliner)
Engine: Cat 3126b 250 HP
Rated Cap: Only 1 seat
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricW View Post
Not super concerned. I put 1.5in foam board insulation between the outer skin and the seat rail part then I'm attaching 2x4s to the ribs. This means that there won't really be any insulation between the ribs and the plywood inside. I suppose I could always go get more insulation but that seems a little silly seeing as I'm keeping most of my windows. Idk any opinions? Maybe reflectix on the ribs just so there's something
Go to the UPS store and get some styrofoam peanuts and cram'em in there!!
__________________
My build thread - viewtopic.php?f=9&t=467197
Docsgsxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 09:10 PM   #7
Site Team
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 694
Year: 1998
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 RE
Engine: 8.3l Cummins
Rated Cap: 78
The ribs channel any moisture or leaks down their length and into the wall of the bus body, then out the drainholes along the body wall. I'd avoid spraying anything in those cavities except maybe some anti corrosion wax.

A layer of insulation over the ribs is the way to do it. At a minimum, acrylic foam insulation tape will greatly reduce the thermal bridging.
aaronsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 09:38 PM   #8
Skoolie
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronsb View Post
The ribs channel any moisture or leaks down their length and into the wall of the bus body, then out the drainholes along the body wall. I'd avoid spraying anything in those cavities except maybe some anti corrosion wax.

A layer of insulation over the ribs is the way to do it. At a minimum, acrylic foam insulation tape will greatly reduce the thermal bridging.
Thanks. That's the info I was looking for. Maybe I'll do the tape as well as just throw another layer of maybe just some of that cheap white foam insulation rather than spending more on the good foam board. Otherwise I could just glue some scraps onto the ribs
EricW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 09:40 PM   #9
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 12,171
Year: 1992
Coachwork: Ward/AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timelord View Post
Great stuff requires air and moisture to properly set. In an enclosed space like that, it will not fully set and, as I understand it, will cause metal destruction. The general consensus here has been to avoid great stuff, especially for enclosed spaces.
THIS^
__________________
.
Roll Your Own Build Thread
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:00 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.