Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-05-2016, 10:37 AM   #1
Bus Nut

Grouping batteries together for DC system?

I purchased new starting batteries. The ones i replaced are still good and they are 850 cranking amps. Can i add in a new 700 cranking amp battery as i collect my batteries for a system?

1998 Ford B700 Thomas body 65 passenger. 5.9 Cummins 12 valve with MT643 Transmission 123,000 miles.
Versatile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 02:59 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: ISC 8.3
"Kind of."

Electrically it'll work, it's not going to fry your devices, etc. But since you called the batteries out by "cranking amps" I'm assuming the old ones are also starting batteries, not deep cycle. If so their life will be short in house battery usage. They can be used, but you'd be needing to replace them sooner than you might expect. The biggest thing to extending their life (true of essentially all batteries, but especially so with lead starting batteries) is to limit the depth of discharge.
family wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 10:00 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 2005
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: Detroit MBE906
Rated Cap: 72
I agree with family wagon..... while you technically can use them, I would only do it for the short term, or as backup power.

You'd be a lot better off investing that money in deep cycle batteries, my personal preference is for 6v golf cart batteries since the amp hour rating is higher than you will find with 12v batteries. Granted you'll need more of them but the cost per amp hour will be less if you choose wisely.

I'll work up a cost per amp hour for some different batteries, then you can use that to choose something in your budget that will work.

EDIT: A Google Sheets workbook showing $/AH based off info found at batteriesplus.com. As of this edit it only has Duracell Ultra 6v and 12v batteries listed but that will be enough to show the cost difference between 6v and 12v.

One other thing... for the 6v the $/AH is calculated using TWO batteries in series to get 12v.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing
As a level 1 burglar, Bilbo got a pony when he accompanied the level 60 dwarves on the Smaug the Dragon raid. Those powerlevelers probably invited him solely so he could trigger fellowship attacks for them.
AlleyCat67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 08:26 AM   #4
Bus Nut

Thanks. I will be glad to look at it.

1998 Ford B700 Thomas body 65 passenger. 5.9 Cummins 12 valve with MT643 Transmission 123,000 miles.
Versatile is offline   Reply With Quote