Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2011, 03:56 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 89
Coachwork: thomas
Engine: 7.3 diesel
Re: hacking a grey water tank

I used a 55 gallon plastic tank in a concession trailer one time. It worked great, I even had a pump to pump the water out, used a regular household hose..

Old 07-27-2011, 08:57 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by kouka
Cool, thanks. What's a concession trailer?

I'm guessing a garden hose won't work with gravity emptying...
I'm guessing FOOD concession. Food vendor. Even been to the fair? With a tank of that size (55 gallon) I would say it was a "big boy" trailer.

The smallest pipe I would use for drainlines would be the size you see under a bathroom sink (about 1 1/2" I think). Use standard household piping and you can replace pretty much anywhere. The BIG garden hoses will work but you can't have any food particles clogging up the hose. So you would need a hose with the biggest interior dimensions you can buy PLUS all the fittings would have to be the same (mans you are using PVC plumbing fittings not standard garden hose fittings.

You can get away with a non baffled tank IF you don't travel with more than a couple of gallons of waste in it. Depends on how you travel.

You need to read Phred's Poop Sheets and look at Marks Water Page
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 10:13 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

As suggested, you need to read basic plumbing construction. Normally size for inlets is around 1/2 inch, and Drains 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 or a mixture of both, as many bathroom drains are the 1 1/4 and the kitchen 1 1/2 . Either size will work well in an RV. You also need to consider buying a 12v pump to between your fresh water tank and the sinks.
The grey water tank discharge should probably be at least 2 inch or so. If you are going to have both a black and grey tank, you really should either go buy a used "T" set up that connects the grey and black tanks together with shut off valves for each side, and plumb up both of the discharge in these systems with 3 inch plastic pipe, as that is what the RV's use. These parts can also be bought new, or sawed off of a rv in a wrecking yard..(hopefully the tanks are empty)

So you need: fresh water tank, pump, maybe hot water heater, something like pex pipe, sinks, shower, toilet and connections, grey and black water tanks, as well as all those fittings. You will also need to vent all of the tanks, and sinks...
Old 08-17-2012, 10:29 AM   #4

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw

Aren't you a busy beaver dragging up posts fromthe dead?

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 11:15 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Haha... someone finally noticed...