Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-29-2019, 04:14 PM   #1
Bus Geek

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
Hallway Bathroom

I’m trying to work out the bathroom situation for the shorty. I’ve watched a lot of YouTube videos and looked at a lot of blogs. Who thinks not having a bathroom is a good idea?!?! I’ve also seen toilets hidden in benches, seats, under beds.

It’s just a short bus, but I’d like to have at least a little sense of privacy for the bathroom, you know, for the ladies.

My dad has this giant monstrosity Southwind “Empty Nester” model that has a bathroom that separates from the rest of the coach by 2 doors, one for the bedroom (that’s right 35 feet and ONE bed) and the other that closes it off from the kitchen/dining/living areas.

So I’ve been looking at this as a solution to save space. My idea is to make a bathroom that’s not quite deep enough to stand in with the door closed, but when the door is opened fully to 90 degrees it interfaces with the edge of a cabinet on the other side of the isle and the cabinet door opens the other way to interface with the edge of the bathroom wall, creating a small room closing off the cockpit and the rear areas.

Whaddya think?

Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 05:26 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: IC / Amtran
Chassis: CE300
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 23
We've gone back & forth & back again on this issue as well, Danjo. Same situation... trying to find room we don't have to spare.

We may change this in the future, but what we're thinking of now is a composting toilet hidden behind 'cabinet doors', with a swing-up cover over the top. So closed, it's basically a cabinet face & usable countertop. Open, it's our shitter. No walls to obstruct the view or restrict elbow room. Not big on privacy, but the only ones looking will be our critters, and I kind of get a kick out of seeing the looks on their faces when I out-stink them No shower, our plan puts that outside.

I am intrigued by your idea. That sounds like it has great promise!

Our Build: Mr. Beefy
TheHubbardBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 05:50 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International RE
Rated Cap: 76
I saw two designs I remember that loosely relevant to the question. Design one had wall that could be put up by opening one of the bathroom doors and sliding up a section on the end of a countertop table. It was used to divide the rear bedroom + bathroom to make a "master bedroom". Perhaps an existing door could be used to make a privacy wall in one direction with a similar concept.

Design two, the (composting) toilet rolled out from under a cabinet in a shorty build. In that build, the owner used a curtain I believe, but if you have a room already the same concept could be used to double the room as a bathroom. The key design feature was turning the toilet, what most people consider strictly a stationary item, into a mobile item.

Perhaps irrelevant, but we ended up with a dedicated bathroom, with its own sink for privacy. It was important enough to commit space to. Our shower however, _is_ the hallway to our (rear) kitchen. Teak flooring will hide the pan, and the hallway walls conceal a shower curtain.

Definitely post pictures for what you come up with. Clever designs of others have saved my behind quite often.
kazetsukai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 06:30 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazetsukai View Post
Teak flooring will hide the pan, and the hallway walls conceal a shower curtain.
Are you going to recess the shower pan?
Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 06:33 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International RE
Rated Cap: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danjo View Post
Are you going to recess the shower pan?

I have about 2" of insulation/stuff inbetween the metal floor and the finished floor, I removed that for the pan. So yeah, its going to be recessed, hopefully flush, with the floor.
kazetsukai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 07:33 PM   #6
Skoolie

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Thomas / international
Chassis: International
Engine: Dt 360/ spicer 5 speed
Rated Cap: 42
I know this won't work for a lot of people but one crazy idea is to use the entry way as a shower. shut the door and throw a curtain up..maybe a sump pump to put water in tank. I have found that one must be extra creative when living in a short bus, no idea is off the table;)
SolomonEagle is offline   Reply With Quote