Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-01-2010, 12:20 PM   #21
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89
Re: Hand crank washing machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmcastle55
...They had a combo washer/dryer right behind the driver's seat! It was AWESOME. Said they bought it from an Italian company for $1500 bucks...gawd talk about convenience...The model they used to sell took a load six hours to wash and then dry.. Seems a little much when you could just hang up yer stuff outside for 2 hrs..
Splendide is sold under several names in various countries. (also sold as Ariston)
http://www.splendide.com/

Others make them too
http://www.compactappliance.com/Comb...efault,sc.html

You would want a VENTED model since they take forever to spin dry (even the vented one will require drying overnight). Sometimes you can find them for free or really cheap on the RV forums (look under For Sale section). Folks either love them or hate them. I would rather have a front load washer plus an LP gas dryer stacked. But I also full time so it's different than if you just extended camped... you really need to be in a campground, hooked to the sewer/water system, to run any washer.

I also have a WonderWasher and a hand wringer (I got mine for $25 at a flea market but I really don't see why a mop wringer wouldn't do the same job... blue jeans might be a bit tricky to fit in... will need to fold them but I need to fold over pants anyway in my full size wringer). I've had the combination a few years now and while I prefer a regular washer/dryer, it has saved me lots of $$ at the laundromat, especially when we were in Cordele, Ga, living in a tiny campground on the backside of Vienna (15 miles from the nearest laundromat). I washed and hung my clothes on the line (we were the only ones in the campground all winter and most of the summer). I also washed and hung clothes in Ga Vets SP and in a privately owned campground in NM (take your clothes down if the wind picks up too much as it will blow dirt all over your wet clothes and then you will need to wash them again). Secret tip to hanging clothes out in a campground... string your clothes line under your awning (I bungie cord a plastic chain from Lowes, with clips for clothes hangers attached, to the awning). Blue jean/shorts I hang off the clothes clips and shirts are wrung out, give a good shake to fluff out the wrinkles and place on a plastic clothes hanger. Place the clothes hanger in a chain link, spacing out a few links, so that the clothes will dry. It looks more like you are hanging a few things to "air out" rather than doing your laundry (only do one small load a day if hanging clothes is a problem in your campground). The Small loads can also be hung to dry in the shower area of your bus/RV.... like when it rains BECAUSE you decided to wash clothes (it's a miracle! you can break the drought!).

This is what works best for me (no instructions came with my WonderWasher).....

Large Loads = 1 line
4 - 5 pairs shorts
4 - 6 shirts
2 pairs jeans/pants
1 top sheet (full/queen size)
1 bottom sheet (full/queen size)
7 pairs socks + 7 pairs undies + 3 bras
1 pair jeans + 2 pair shorts
1 heavy housecoat
3 sweatshirts OR light jackets
2 bath sheets (the big, thick ones) + 2 washcloths

Fill WonderWasher 1/2 way with warm/hot water (the "seam" at the middle of the tub). Add 1TBSP detergent for HE machines (suds up less) and 2 tsp Oxyclean if needed.

Small Load = 1 line
3 - 4 shirts
1 pair lightweight pants (not denim jeans)
7 pairs undies + 3 bras

Fill WonderWasher to lower "line" with warm/hot water. Add 1 tsp detergent for HE machines and 1 tsp Oxyxlean if needed. (the "line" is the bottom ridge molded into the tub)

1. Fill WonderWasher with warm/hot water to fill line.
2. Add specified amount of detergent (do not use more, if anything you may want to use less as this is for very dirty clothes).
3. Add clothes (1 line = a load) and secure lid.
4. Tumble clothes slowly for 2 to 3 minutes, reversing direction every 30 seconds or so. (revolution should be 1 every 1 second, no faster)
5. Let soak for a few minutes.
6. Tumble clothes slowly for 1 - 2 minutes, reversing every 30 seconds.
7. Drain washer completely (you may have to press on clothes to get all the water out).
8. Refill to previous line with cold water.
9. Tumble clothes for 1 - 2 minutes, reversing every 30 seconds.
10. Drain off rinse water.
11. Refill with cold water and add 2 TBSP (large load) or 1 TBSP (small load) white vinegar if desired (vinegar will help cut any soap that may still remain in the clothes especially needed if you used a high sudsing detergent). Instead of vinegar, you can add a small amount of fabric softener if you want... vinegar just seems to work better and it's cheaper.
12. Tumble clothes for 1 - 2 minutes, reversing every 30 seconds.
13. Drain clothes. Run thru hand wringer or electric spin dryer and hang to dry.

https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 11:08 PM   #22
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

One line = one load ie: 4-5 pairs of shorts = 1 large load.

I've been washing the clothes like that since 2006. They do come clean. I do think I am using more water than I'm supposed to. I'm not really sure since I haven't found any real instructions for it.

Besides I'm not THAT fat!!!! Smitty called me fat!
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 08:53 AM   #23
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Thomas

Well, being all for the total independence bit I broke down and picked up a Best Hand wringer to go with my lovely washing tubs.

Because we use cloth wipes, cloth diapers, etc etc, I also picked up that damn wonder ball toy. I'm a sucker for anything that gets the kids to do the washing for me. $42 bucks on ebay, no shipping charge Drop a touch of pool shock for instant sanitation = means I don't have to use a public laundry weekly to clean up diapers RAWR. Got that pool shock tip from the survivalistboards.com.

And Smitty, no calling the ladies fat
Seeria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 09:16 AM   #24
Bus Nut

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Ward
Chassis: Ford B600
Engine: 6.6L Turbo Diesel
Rated Cap: 26

Ouch Smitty! I guess the ladies are spanking you on that! Um, wait, he might be enjoying it.......