Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-30-2009, 06:00 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Genesis
Engine: Detroit
Rated Cap: 14
Re: Hand crank washing machine

Yep! I've used them while on the longer camping events. They work great, and use a fraction of the detergent of a regular washing machine. But be certain to use only the amount of detergent recommended, otherwise you'll be forever trying to rinse the soap out.

EDIT:
Just wanted to add, if you're interested in buying one of these, look in the "As Seen On TV" type sites. They sell for much less than what's listed on your site.
http://www.cyberbrands.com/pub/powerwashanddry.html

This is just as good as the unit listed for $50. They are all plastic and feel pretty light-weight. But I've had mine for over a decade! And it's still going strong.
Just treat it gently:
  • wash several small loads instead of a large one[/*:m:mz1526l9]
  • don't crank the lid down too tightly, and[/*:m:mz1526l9]
  • don't expose it to extreme cold[/*:m:mz1526l9]

TygerCub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 10:36 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1991
Coachwork: ward
Chassis: IH
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 72

I also have one. Bought it a few years back. It's tagged the Wonder Washer. Seems to do alright for the load and size. You do have to rinse after. At times, I have just added clean water to the washer and rinsed that way. It's a good way to insure ya got some clean undies after a few days boondock'in.
Old 07-08-2009, 05:33 AM   #3
Bus Nut

Smitty, didnt Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) ride one of those?
Sojakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 05:59 PM   #4
Bus Nut

I cant find any pictures of the bike on the net, so I will have to figure out how to get a screenie of it off of the dvd...

Ok, got a screenie now. Turns out it is some sort of wipping machine... But its not far off from being a washer.

Sojakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 10:43 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03

Where's Elliot when you need him? I bet he could craft a machine that is human powered, washes clothes, and transports you to far away lands.
Old 07-21-2009, 08:07 PM   #6
Skoolie

Almost wish I had one of these now. Having to wash the essentials in the bathroom sink while I wait for my $26+ belt to come in. Note to self, do NOT install washer on top of carpet. Somehow it'll snag, rip up the carpet, make a mess, and snap the belt.
josetann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 09:29 PM   #7
Bus Nut

I use about a tablespoon of clothes detergent. Sounds tiny, I know, but it's a relatively small space and (more importantly) it's a pressure washer. The pressure makes a huge difference. Just make sure to put the cap on tightly, or it will shoot off after the first two turns (possibly popping you in the face... yeah, there's that much pressure built up by the turning). If you use too much soap, rinsing takes forever, so use it sparingly! You'll be amazed at the amount of dirt in the water!

For the past month, I've been without a traditional washer & dryer (ex got-em) and use my little wonder wash exclusively. A week's worth of clothes (shirts, undies, socks & one pair of pants) will fit inside. I'll spin the tub for two minutes... 60 cranks in one direction, then 60 in the opposite direction. Dump the water (from the top for speed), add fresh water to rinse and repeat the spin cycle twice to make sure the soap is out. Hang to dry in the bathtub. Cheap, easy, and washes faster than a traditional electric model.

The next thing i want to buy or make (probably make) is a clothes wringer. My theory is, if I can wring all the dirty, soapy water from the clothes before adding the rinse water, I'll only have to rinse once, and thus save water.

It's such a great little machine. You won't be disappointed.
Old 07-30-2009, 11:13 AM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: GMC
Engine: 8.2 liter Detroit Diesel
Rated Cap: 66

Thanks so much for the glowing review, TygerCub. I've been thinking about one of these for our bus while traveling for a while but really haven't spoken to anyone who has actually USED one, so the skeptical part of me was keeping me from deciding definitely. I will now safely say that this is on my list of things to look for/get before we take off in the bus for long periods of time.

Smitty:
I love your idea. My husband has actually half-heartedly joked about the very same thing on multiple occasions. If he really put his mind to it, I've no doubt he would come up with one. But if you beat him to it, let me know and I'll buy one from you. I teach a spin (indoor cycling) class and ride my bike as much as possible (which has been very little lately with OTHER things taking up my spare time ), so that would be right up my alley.

And I think that with a family of four, there would be no reason - with either method - that everyone couldn't do their own laundry. Right?

Blog: https://resurrection-fern.blogspot.com/
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/ResurrectionFernBus
Gallery: https://www.skoolie.net/gallery/v/Sko...rrection-fern/
fernmistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 09:10 PM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

Awesome video links, Smitty. Thanks for sharing.
I showed them to the hubby and we both had our own little wheels turning, especially after seeing the 55 gallon drum version. We even talked ---- albeit briefly --- about just building a deck on the back of the bus to store our own version. I can't help but wonder if others have considered adding a deck JUST so they have room to haul around a homemade cycling barrel washing machine. And how many non-skoolies would look at us like we had lost a few nuts and screws at the mere mention of such a thing?

Old 07-30-2009, 11:33 PM   #10
Bus Nut

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Thomas Transit Liner
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: CAT 3208 Turbo

We just bought a clothes wringer on ebay for $37.00 & are getting a hand crank washer next as we will not have a washing machine when we move to the cabin. My wife is excited to try them both out! Good reading all of your input. Makes our choices a bit more convincing that the washers do work!
ezbme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 05:37 AM   #11
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezbme
We just bought a clothes wringer on ebay for $37.00
Oooo. Do you have any pictures you could share? What brand was it? Specs?
Old 07-31-2009, 07:06 AM   #12
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by TygerCub
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezbme
We just bought a clothes wringer on ebay for $37.00
Oooo. Do you have any pictures you could share? What brand was it? Specs?
Sure TygerCub!
It is a "CMBB SHOP HAND-CRANK CHAMOIS TOWEL WRINGER W/ RINSE TUB". We bought it used. Here is a link to the auction. They usually sell for about $75 new, same brand.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... K:MEWNX:IT

Here are the specs they had on it:
Item Description:
Up for auction here is one (1) Hand-Cranked Chamois/Towel Wringer with Rinse Tub.

Made in 2003 by CMBB Equipments Italy
Product Specifics:
The rollers measure 13-3/4" long x 1-9/16" diameter
Red powder-coated basin with drain valve; detaches for cleaning

The basin is 4-1/2" deep in the front. The basin measures 17" W x 11-3/4" D
Comes with 39" of 1/2" drain hose
The mounting brackets have a 15" spread
Condition:
In good operating condition.
Also in good cosmetic/physical condition.

Please see our photos for further details.
Old 07-31-2009, 04:34 PM   #13
Bus Nut

God the wheels - er, or pedals are turning in my head! Thanks for all the info smitty... I am gonna have to get into something pedal powered besides my Gary Fisher aluminum/carbon full suspension mountain bike....that only does trails!

Such great ideas & a MEAT GRINDER? COOL!
Old 07-31-2009, 10:00 PM   #14
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty
Did you see what I did there? "take it for a spin"? I kill myself sometimes......spin.....

Smitty

Actually, I did see what you did and I did chuckle a bit out loud upon reading it.

I agree, though. 55 gallons would be overkill and the same could be accomplished with a much smaller barrel and a condensed "bike" setup. This may be something I encourage the hubby to think about. It would, for sure, make storage simpler.

Old 08-02-2009, 04:00 PM   #15
Bus Nut

Well we just ordered a hand crank washer, only $25.95 + $10.00 to ship! Can't wait to try it out... See it here if interested: http://www.tvtimedirect.com/advanced_se ... E&x=10&y=8

Still haven't gotten the hand crank wringer...

EDIT... DANGIT!!! Just got an email from the company. Order was cancelled, item is discontinued. Bummer, must keep lookin!
Old 08-06-2009, 09:42 PM   #16
Bus Nut

So we won a hand crank washer on ebay but haven't gotten it yet. We did get the wringer which, wow, works very well! It really takes the moisture out of the clothes, almost better than the spin cycle & will allow us to dry clothes on the line rather quickly! I set it up temporarily on an old desk so my wife can try it out on the cloth diapers...It is obviously set up to mount to the wall. Works Beautiful!

Old 08-07-2009, 07:01 AM   #17
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1963
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Engine: 640 Detroit allison

Just ran into two guys who have a Metro City bus (don't know what exactly) but they are definitely 'Skoolies' We wandered right over to them, introduced ourselves and told them, "Hey we're buyin' a bus too can we be nosy and see what you've done to yours?" Of course they were so nice, they even let Mark DRIVE their bus so he could get a feel for it! Anyway, i'm gettin' off topic. They had a combo washer/dryer right behind the driver's seat! It was AWESOME. Said they bought it from an Italian company for $1500 bucks...gawd talk about convenience. I think the guy said it cost more than what they actually paid for the Bus when they bought it. I talked to this lady in Home depot here yesterday, they used to sell a combo model like that but here in america apparently we've not perfected that technology to make it worthwhile. The model they used to sell took a load six hours to wash and then dry.. Seems a little much when you could just hang up yer stuff outside for 2 hrs..
hmcastle55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 05:02 PM   #18
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmcastle55
They had a combo washer/dryer right behind the driver's seat! It was AWESOME. Said they bought it from an Italian company for $1500 bucks...gawd talk about convenience.
That's what we've got. Bought a used one off Craigslist for about $250. Supra's the brand. One bad thing is no one's ever heard of it, so parts are impossible to find. For $250 though, just buy a few (one I bought was in Nashville, TN but I did a random Craigslist search and saw another one recently for $250 in San Diego, CA).

Ours takes about three hours start to finish. It's a 220v so the dry time is probably cut nearly in half (dry time is 90 minutes by itself). However it's a ventless which takes longer than a vented model, plus uses a lot more water (I think it uses about 16 gallons of water per load). If I could be choosy, I'd get a vented model (we have no need to have ventless, it's just what was available, though it was nice to not cut another hole in the bus) and possibly a 110v (would take longer to dry than a 220v, but don't have to worry if I can't find a 50amp connection).

I have ours setup next to the driver's seat. You have a built-in place to sit while taking out the laundry. Makes it harder for my wife to watch the scenery when we're on the road, but a bucket of kitty litter makes a good temp seat.

Speaking of parts being hard to find, never did get the right belt. Had to get a regular automotive belt to fit, but it kept sliding off (we needed a grooved belt, but none were the right size). Nothing a little bit of duct tape couldn't fix (put it on the end of the pulley, so the belt won't jump right off).
josetann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 07:00 AM   #19
Bus Nut

When on the road and need wash a few things I put clothes, soap, water into a 5 gln bucket, snap the lid on tight and let the kids have it. They having rolling races with it, chase it around, laugh, burn energy and clean the clothes. Gotta love it.
Will still do that but I did get an actual wash tub finally, $10 garage sale, came with stand, too.

Have yet to find a wringer that isn't some horrible $100 in great shape. darn it.
Seeria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 11:59 AM   #20
Bus Nut

Year: 1982
Chassis: IH S1723
Engine: IH V345 Gas V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeria
...Have yet to find a wringer that isn't some horrible $100 in great shape...
Perhaps you could modify a lesser expensive mop wringer to serve your purposes? ...just a thought...