Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-04-2019, 03:48 PM   #21
Mini-Skoolie

I disconnected the batteries then cut the wires feeding the unit. It was simple to unbolt from the floor. I then slid it out of the way, took some pics and listed it on FB Market Place for $500. A couple weeks later a guy came by and I sold it to him for $400. Put the cash back into the build. You can do it.

Ricko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 04:40 PM   #22
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: GILLIG
Chassis: G18E102R2
Engine: Cummins ISC 8.3
Rated Cap: 23 sits 33 stand
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivetboy View Post
disconnect all electrical feeds to the lift and be careful, they may or may not be hot with the key off. Unbolt it from the floor, yell "clear" and when your outside observer yells back "clear" your 3 big strong pals roll that sucker out the door. Then, take your HF cherry picker and load it in to the back of the borrowed truck to take it to sell it for scrap and use the money to buy beer for your 3 pals.. You drive 27 miles and the scrap yard will not take it it because it has oil in it. So no beer and you are out the favor for the borrowed truck and this 500 lb behemoth is still in the back and the 3 amigos are still thirsty . Hmm, what now? Dunno, perhaps make the calls before you roll it out the door call up disabled veterans or volunteer groups helping people with mobility issues. Maybe some churches . Craigslist perhaps .Explain the need for removal and as is where is. The best repurposing that I have seen is where they are used to give access in an old house on the back porch or a deck. The above scenario can be played out as for rolling out the door but be careful. If it scissors open or something goes bad the potential for severe injury is high. The harsh reality is it is not worth a lot of money.

Simply, use your engine hoist to remove the wheel chair ramp.
oleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 03:53 AM   #23
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Chassis: ThomasBuilt 30'
Engine: need someone to tell me
Rated Cap: me + 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad_SwiftFur View Post
I left mine in the bus where it was because (to me) it's value lifting heavy things in and out of the bus far exceeds the scrap or resale value, and the few square feet I would gain by it's removal.

me too, also if you make sure to leave a wheelchair accessible path to the drivers seat the bus the bus can be used by handicapped people and may increase resale value.
kidharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 04:23 AM   #24
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Chassis: ThomasBuilt 30'
Engine: need someone to tell me
Rated Cap: me + 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zona_The_Bus View Post
I have a 1997 international Thomas short bus with a Handicap lift, unfortunately I do not have enough people to help get it out and I am extremely clueless on how to disconnect it from my engine. I am converting it in San Diego CA and would like to sell it to put the money back in my conversion. ANY TIPS ??
This is a little crazy, but I would probably try it. I don't have any experience with this & I don't know how your lift works. Work the lift multiple times and study its operation before starting.

I would lower it down so that it is sitting on the ground, than disconnect the mounting bolts to the bus. If the hydraulic pump/reservoir was attached to the ramp so that it would fit thru the opening and the electric power cable long enough (can be lengthened), then I would try to operate the lift to raise the ramp. Hopefully, the lift being unbolted, would lower itself down to the ground if the lower section has enough weight to counter balance the weight of the pump and upper section. It may also be possible to put a heavy, loose wrap over a hose fitting (danger...high pressure hydraulic fluid is bad news) and wearing goggles and protective gear, crack it just enough to bleed off the fluid and have it slowly descend like a bottle jack.

Study the setup and some form of this plan may be workable. Be careful and no bystanders to get fluid squirted onto. Stay out from under the load and keep all body parts out of any pinch points. Watch out for springs, if there are any. They can catch you by surprise very quickly.

If you don't feel comfortable hire a mechanic or someone who does feel comfortable to do it. Stay away from idiots.

At the very least you should be able to get a good portion of the bulk and weight onto the ground leaving less to deal with. Then take it apart piece by piece and reassemble it on the ground or plug the hoses and load in a vehicle. The hydraulic fluid will make a mess if you don't use common sense.

Take pics before you start and at every step to help whoever tries to reuse/install it. At the very least the pump/reservoir and ram should be usable for other projects by somebody.

I'm leaving mine in my bus, because I have heavy stuff to unload/load and the lift is rated to 800 lbs. It was one of the criteria when I was shopping for a bus.
kidharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 11:00 AM   #25
Mini-Skoolie

I went in a different direction. I paid extra to get a bus with a lift. I use my mini for a number of different purposes. One is flea markets - I sell used tools. I have 4 carts that go on the lift with shelves beneath. All the smaller tools are in low bins on the shelves. When I drop the carts down, they roll into position on casters, then I put bi-fold doors between them, and move the bins onto the shelves. I can unload 1000lbs of tools and set up in under an hour with no strain. For the overnight flea markets, I then camp in my empty bus.

I am thinking about making camping modules that will fit on the lift - a kitchen, minimalist bathroom, camping storage unit. Put them on, lock them down, and go. The kitchen would need a 10 gallon fresh and gray water tank, pump, sink, propane stove (need to vent out the side or window?), DC fridge, and countertop space. The bathroom would be a compost toilet, small shower stall with the same water setup as the sink. When I am not camping, I will store them out of the bus.
nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 07:56 AM   #26
Mini-Skoolie

Are you sure you want to remove it? When I started searching for a Ford mini bus all I could find were ADA one's and I thought the same, got a lift....."hated it".

Finally I began finding them without lifts and thought I had scored.

Now that I think about it a little more I kinda want a lift....I wont get into the details about why I'm still not sure but I've thought of lift possible cool uses. It doenst take up much space that you cant make the area around it storage for outdoor gear. And the uses?

-You can load all your gear into the bus at once.
-Similarly think of the bulky Home Depot type stuff that you can load easier, you could prolly get a washer/dryer on it.
-I've toyed with the idea that you could create a removable canopy over the door and make it an outdoor shower access area.
-I live prolly about a mile from where I'd need to store it so Im thinking of getting a mini bike to get there rather than drive and leave a vehicle behind. So the lift would be mini bike loading too.
-I enjoy cooking outdoors so I've also toyed with the idea of making my kitchen area self contained on wheels (think airline serving cart) then I could use the lift to move the kitchen out side to cook when nice then roll it back and stow it when time to go. <- that's my main reason.
lqdchkn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 07:29 PM   #27
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2005
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Vision
Engine: C7 caterpillar Allison automatic heavy foot
Rated Cap: 72
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zona_The_Bus View Post
thanks for replying
hey nice bus do you still have that lift ill buy the pump and pistons off of you if they are for sale?
Smokey's pipe dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 07:31 PM   #28
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2005
Chassis: Vision
Engine: C7 caterpillar Allison automatic heavy foot
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricko View Post
I disconnected the batteries then cut the wires feeding the unit. It was simple to unbolt from the floor. I then slid it out of the way, took some pics and listed it on FB Market Place for $500. A couple weeks later a guy came by and I sold it to him for $400. Put the cash back into the build. You can do it.
i should have read further lol ty anyways!
Smokey's pipe dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 09:07 PM   #29
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 2 elderly children, 1 cat
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
A former co-worker got a sliver in his eye. It started rusting and he had to have it DRILLED out. None of that for me, thanks!
Eye surgery?

1. Cataract surg. on right eye.
2. New lens slipped so surg. #2 on rt. eye.
3. Cataract surg. on left eye.
4. Rt eye full retinal detach.
5. #4 surgery failed so redid.
6. Surg. to replace oil from #5 surg.
7. Surg. on Rt eye to smooth out retina.
8. Left eye had a retinal occlusion so ongoing monthly eye injections for many years now.

Gotta do what ya gotta do.

Left eye=20/15 vision.
Rt eye 20/400 vision.