Old 12-25-2006, 07:36 PM   #11
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03
I can't be trusted with starter fluid. My bus came with a can of it that was never used to start it....instead it was used to melt a cop action figure from the dollar store....
Old 12-28-2006, 11:27 PM   #12
Bus Nut

Well it's started fine ever since that weekend. I didn't really want to use the starting fluid, but I tried everything else & I really didn't want to leave my bus in the woods.

I don't know if that did it or if it was me tapping on the fuel pump and fuel rails. But I'm keeping that can in the bus from now on, and I wont be using it to melt action figures anytime soon. hahaha

My engine doesn't have glow plugs, I've heard that you can use ether to start a diesel but like I said I was in the middle of nowhere and starting fluid was all they had.
Old 09-28-2007, 12:51 AM   #13
Bus Nut

Re:

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillbus914
Well it's started fine ever since that weekend...
Until now... It seems this problem has shown up again. I have to keep priming my fuel system, it'll run for about 10 min or so then stall out. I checked the fuel lines and found a few places where it looks wet - an indication that air is getting into the fuel system.

I got a replacement filter and some rubber fuel line today... that filter has been on there for a while, it was full of muddy disesl. I've never changed it since I bought the bus - about 3 & 1/2 years ago now...

I started cutting off some of the old fuel line - from the filter to the engine and found a spot about 12" up where it has been "fixed" before and it was very wet at the clamps. It was hidden behind that plastic ribbed junk on the rt. of the pic. there... that stuff does a great job of holding rocks and road grime against the fuel line.

A storm rolled in before I could finish it, but it should be all set and ready to roll tomorrow. I just thought I'd update this in case someone else has an issue like this someday.
Old 09-28-2007, 01:07 AM   #14
Bus Geek

Re: Hard time starting my 5.9 Cummins this weekend

I told ya that 5.9 was junk. I'll do you a favor and take your bus off yoru hands!
Old 09-28-2007, 09:50 AM   #15
Bus Nut

Hey now it's not the motors fault the rubber fuel lines are leaking... the fixed part of hose I pulled off was very cracked and looked ready to fall apart - I think the school probably used some heater hose or something to fix it.

Soon as it warms up I'm goin out there to fix it.
Old 09-28-2007, 08:14 PM   #16
Bus Nut

It's all fixed now. Starts right up and no leaks.

Spent the rest of the day washing the outside and painting the wheels with that rustoleum hammered paint. It's all ready to go for this weekend... I'm taking about 20 friends out to a bunch of bars. Should be a fun night.

I should have pressure washed the rims 1st but I didn't feel like goin and renting a pressure washer... Oh well they look better than they did before.
Old 09-28-2007, 08:24 PM   #17
Bus Nut

Nice looking bus!
Abbott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 10:12 PM   #18
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International
Engine: 7.3 International diesel
Rated Cap: 60

Yeah, that rustoleum rocks! For future reference, instead of renting a power washer, just take it to the car wash. That's usually higher pressure than any portable power washer. I painted my mirrors with that rustoleum too.
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i2...DSC02426-1.jpg
KC10Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 10:15 PM   #19
Bus Nut

Thank you! I've put a lot of work into it.

It's shaping up to be a nice compromise between a motorhome and a party bus... I think of it as a motorhome and all my friends think it's the party wagon.

I should have thought of the pressure washers at the car wash... oh well if it flakes off I can just pressure wash it and do it over again - it only takes about 10 bucks in paint and an hour to do it.
Old 09-28-2007, 10:31 PM   #20
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International
Engine: 7.3 International diesel
Rated Cap: 60

Yep. It took two cans for me to do all 4 wheels. It makes the bus look a lot better too. My paint has been on there for about 5 months now and it hasn't faded or peeled or anything. Your bus looks fantastic. Did you tint the windows yourself? There is a car wash down the road from my house that has an extra big bay for tall vehicles. Although most car washes are tall enough to get my bus in. My bus is right at 10' 4" tall.
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i2...DSC02426-1.jpg
KC10Chief is offline   Reply With Quote