Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-05-2007, 11:39 AM   #41
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International
Engine: 7.3 International diesel
Rated Cap: 60
Re: Hard time starting my 5.9 Cummins this weekend

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireguy9993
Just what I read when I was researching the engine class. Perhaps that information is old and outdated or just plain wrong. But, I have a friend with a 3208 Cat out of a 96 (ish) Topkick that he had to start using Ether in the middle of winter to get the truck started. Now it needs Ether every time...even in the summer. I've been standing at the air cleaner with ether can in hand while he cranked it on more than a few occasions. So I'm just a little more paranoid, I guess.
It's probably got another problem than being dependent on ether. Something like the problem Phillbus had with air getting into the fuel lines. Anyways, ever seated a tire on a rim with ether? That's a whole lot more scary than starting an engine with it! I had to seat a tire on a 8" boat trailer rim out in the middle of nowhere with ether once. I just sprayed a few seconds of ether into the tire and threw a match at it. I thought my friends and I were all going to die. It worked after a few tries though. BOOM!!! Tire's set. Let's go...

https://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i2...DSC02426-1.jpg
KC10Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 11:51 AM   #42
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC-2000 Frt Eng, Tranny:MT643
Engine: 5,9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 84

I know something about chemical dependency -- mine is chocolate chip mint ice cream.

That Cat definitely had something else wrong with it, yes. (IMHO)

For seating tires, try a rope or strap around it instead. Squeezing the tread in, forces the bead out. A rope and a stick to twist with, like a lug wrench, is all you need. Last time one of our mechanics tried seating a tire with ether, the FD came out and took pictures of his scorched overalls.

Elliot Naess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 12:15 PM   #43
Bus Nut

Year: 1982
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: IH S1723
Engine: IH V345 Gas V8
Rated Cap: 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliot Naess
For seating tires, try a rope or strap around it instead. Squeezing the tread in, forces the bead out. A rope and a stick to twist with, like a lug wrench, is all you need. Last time one of our mechanics tried seating a tire with ether, the FD came out and took pictures of his scorched overalls.
I have used this method many times myself, works quite well without the pyrotechnics. I have also seen the "ether seals" method turn a couple people into Easter Seals candidates! (NOT recommended.) Plus, rope and tire irons can be stored anywhere as they are not quite so flammable, and if you're not carrying a tire iron and rope or tie-down strap(s) with you anyway, you ought to turn in your bussing merit badge!
Old 10-05-2007, 03:38 PM   #44
Bus Nut

on the cat 3208 engines, they had some issues with hairline cracks in the fuel lines at the fittings near the fuel filterand primer assembly usually caused by missin g fuel line support brackets or clamps allowing vibration to caue stress fractures, check for loss of prime/air in the fuel system by going thru the prime process if their is ny evidence of air in the system loosen the fuel nuts and inspect the lines at the flline side of the flare backup for a hairline crack that can let air in bujt not necessarly fuel out because thes lines are suction and not under pressure. replacethe damaged line and install the proper brackets and clamps to support the lines and save the either for someone else's engine, maybe some that has dissed you in the past
paul iossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 04:00 PM   #45
Bus Geek

i've tried and never had any luck with the ether method. I have had good luck with either a string and stick, or using a ratchet tie down strap. Ratchet straps are my preference. I don't know if you could squish a bus tire much, but this method works great on lawn mower tires, super swampers, and the like.
Old 10-05-2007, 04:14 PM   #46
Bus Nut

its a fine line between not enough cheap either,to much cheap either and a darwin award
paul iossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 06:16 PM   #47
Bus Geek

I just started Millicent after she sat for a month.

You know those cloak-and-dagger movies where the guy with all the fake passports gets in a car and gets blown to smithereens the moment he turns the key?

Well, that's how Millicent started today. I turned the key, and she was running.

I'm a'tellin' 'ya... fresh fuel lines and a brand new starter! Leave the ether to the bums on skid row.

Old 10-05-2007, 10:20 PM   #48
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Carpenter
Engine: 7.3 International diesel
Rated Cap: 60

I have done the ratchet strap method before, but we were on the side of the road about 40 miles from anywhere. All I had was a crappy rope and it was breaking. A farmer came along and had some ether. He was about 80 years old and told me what to do. He was ducked down behind his truck every time I threw the match too. It eventually worked though!
https://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i2...DSC02426-1.jpg
KC10Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 11:08 PM   #49
Bus Geek

Old 10-05-2007, 11:38 PM   #50
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03

You rang?
Old 10-06-2007, 12:54 AM   #51
Bus Geek

Yes Andrew, would you be a good chap and fetch my nomex and kevlar smoking jacket. There seems to be rather a lot of ether in this cigar.

Old 10-14-2007, 11:59 AM   #52
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Ward Genesis
Engine: DT466/MT643
Rated Cap: 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassnTruck
Guys word of warning. Never use starting fluid or anything flamible to start a 5.9 Cummins EVER! These motors use a heating grid right inside the intake to preheat. This will catch the fluid on fire and usually ruins things when it explodes if you are that lucky and do not hurt or kill yourself when that whole can explodes in your hand.
Most commercial B's have no heat grid. The Rams had one bacause Dodge wanted to make it as "gas-like" as possible for pickup trucks. None of the three 6BT's I drove at work had heat grids...I recall one actually RECOMMENDED ether below 15 degrees.
Jarlaxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 06:04 PM   #53
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03

Ford recommends ether below freezing. There is even an ether port on the intake. They also recommend half throttling it while you crank below 32 and putting it to the wood for starts below 10-15...even with the ether. Me? I just crank it for 10 seconds until it starts. Sometimes I will give it a preemptive 2 second blast of the good stuff, but I usually don't have a wrench handy for the ether port so it goes in the air filter housing. I doubt much even makes it to the engine, but it makes me feel better.