Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-07-2012, 08:18 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Genesis
Engine: Detroit
Rated Cap: 14
Has anyone actually built their own waste H2O tank?

Being on a shorter bus, I find room under the vehicle is already taken up by lots of stuff. The two spaces that are available in the back are, unfortunately, interrupted by the tail pipe. While I know it is possible to cut and move a tail pipe, I also know it can be a real PITA to weld pipe without blowing a hole in it. And, it's been a LONG time since I last held a welding rod to metal. Can't afford to ruin a perfectly good thing (and it really is in great shape).

So, to work around the odd shapes left by the tail pipe problem, I've been considering building my own grey water tank. Since nothing worse than dish soap and bath water will be flushed down it, all I need is a water tight container and the support system under it. Add a regular hose valve in an area I can reach to empty the water, and I should be good to go.

One of the maintenance foremen at work suggested I build a box to fit the space, line it with a decent pond liner, pop a gasket sealed cover on it, and call it done. Taking measurements under the bus tonight, it appears I can make a 50 gallon tank fairly easy using this method.

Looking online, I've seen multiple custom fish tank tutorials using plywood and fiberglass. But I would think using rubber as a liner would be far more durable than fiberglass because it will flex and move by its very nature, where fiberglass may crack. But... boats and buses are made of fiberglass so... I really have no clue.

My question is, has anyone else fabricated their own waste water tank?

TygerCub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 10:02 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Re: Has anyone actually built their own waste H2O tank?

my brother and i have built waste water tanks out of both stainless steel and wood for both of our coach busses several years ago. There was never any problem with the plywood and epoxy tanks. When i get extra time, i am going to redo mine for this skoolie because when you build your own tanks (or have them built for you) you can utilize your space more effectively. Am also going to do the same for the fresh water ones. if i remember right, we used 3/4 exterior plywood.
stainless steel makes great ones if you have access to the sheets and welder.

Old 06-07-2012, 11:24 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: 3208 na boat anchor
Rated Cap: 2
Re: Has anyone actually built their own waste H2O tank?

Oh, I built my own waste tanks: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=10964 .

A good way to utilize the space, a bit more work. If I did it over I'd probably just buy poly tanks.
bus-bro is offline   Reply With Quote