Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 02-14-2018, 10:21 AM   #1
Almost There
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: North-West Georgia
Posts: 69
Has Anyone here tried this insulation?

Hey everyone,

Wasn't sure where to put this thread so it ended up here...


While researching insulation, I came across "Mineral wool". While there are several different brandnames of the stuff, I was curious if anyone has used it instead of the typical "Pink board"...

The reasons I ask is this...

1. It comes in both boards, and batts.. for ease of installation.
2. It has the same R value as pink board in a 2in thickness.
3. Doesn't absorb moisture, but is still breathable. (mold and mildew resistance)
4. Is fire retardant up to around *1300 F.
5. Highly sound dampening.
6. It's a "green" product seeing as its made from recycled stone

The only downside I believe is the cost... ($#!T's pretty spendy.) and I know nearly everyone who's doing a bus is doing it from a budget standpoint.


Feel free to discuss
Yuuyia_Takahashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 10:42 AM   #2
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Owasso, OK
Posts: 2,627
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuuyia_Takahashi View Post
Hey everyone,

Wasn't sure where to put this thread so it ended up here...


While researching insulation, I came across "Mineral wool". While there are several different brandnames of the stuff, I was curious if anyone has used it instead of the typical "Pink board"...

The reasons I ask is this...

1. It comes in both boards, and batts.. for ease of installation.
2. It has the same R value as pink board in a 2in thickness.
3. Doesn't absorb moisture, but is still breathable. (mold and mildew resistance)
4. Is fire retardant up to around *1300 F.
5. Highly sound dampening.
6. It's a "green" product seeing as its made from recycled stone

The only downside I believe is the cost... ($#!T's pretty spendy.) and I know nearly everyone who's doing a bus is doing it from a budget standpoint.


Feel free to discuss
Can you provide a link please?

The reason I ask is that we have discussed this type of product before. While it is true that the fibers themselves do not absorb water, in most cases the batts or boards absorb a great deal of water, so I was wondering if this were somehow different.
__________________
Steve Bracken

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 11:20 AM   #3
Almost There
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: North-West Georgia
Posts: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twigg View Post
Can you provide a link please?

The reason I ask is that we have discussed this type of product before. While it is true that the fibers themselves do not absorb water, in most cases the batts or boards absorb a great deal of water, so I was wondering if this were somehow different.
Now I feel a bit dumb... the one time I didn't bother using the search..

https://www.rockwool.com/products/comfortbatt/

This is the product that the technical service lady that I spoke with recommended when I told her was I was doing and what my concerns were... However there are numerous products that they offer that would be applicable.

They will also make custom products upon request, but im sure the price of that would be astronomical.
Yuuyia_Takahashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 11:32 AM   #4
Bus Geek
 
o1marc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Dawsonville, Ga.
Posts: 3,436
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
IINM rockwool is used more often in high heat applications, it's what I use to line my powder coating ovens with so it doesn't break down like batt insulation does subjected to 400į for hours on end.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 11:39 AM   #5
Almost There
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: North-West Georgia
Posts: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
IINM rockwool is used more often in high heat applications, it's what I use to line my powder coating ovens with so it doesn't break down like batt insulation does subjected to 400į for hours on end.
Yeah, I read through a multitude of their applications on their site and though ďOh! This might be good for a skoolie..Ē spent a bit of time on the phone with a rep and got a few recommendations. While a skoolie isnít a powder coating oven, it behaves like an oven here in the south.. soooooo

Like I said it was just a thought cause it seems pretty rad (aside from the cost of course)
Yuuyia_Takahashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 12:06 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: WA
Posts: 27
Year: 2004
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP EF
Engine: Cat 3126b
Rated Cap: 71
I have half a bag of ROXUL at home, used it around a chimney pipe.
I can get it wet or pretty much anything else with it if you want some feedback. just let me know what you want to test.
Godspyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 12:46 PM   #7
Almost There
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: North-West Georgia
Posts: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godspyro View Post
I have half a bag of ROXUL at home, used it around a chimney pipe.
I can get it wet or pretty much anything else with it if you want some feedback. just let me know what you want to test.
Itís somewhat dependent on which particular one you have but the only general test Iíd say would be that if you have, like a rubber-mate style tote, fill it about half way with water, and stand a batt up in it long ways. Let it set an hour or two. Then pick it up and see if it drains big time, or is itís majoritivly hydroscopic

Thatís the only thing I could think of
Yuuyia_Takahashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 01:31 PM   #8
Bus Geek
 
o1marc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Dawsonville, Ga.
Posts: 3,436
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Stuck a piece of rock wool in a water dish, sucked up water like sponge.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180214_141953.jpg (350.1 KB, 28 views)
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 01:42 PM   #9
Bus Geek
 
Tango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 7,761
Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Any kind of fibers, even if they are hydrophobic, will act that way by virtue of the structure. Steel wool will hold water. And the finer the fibers, the more it holds.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 01:49 PM   #10
Bus Geek
 
o1marc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Dawsonville, Ga.
Posts: 3,436
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
Any kind of fibers, even if they are hydrophobic, will act that way by virtue of the structure. Steel wool will hold water. And the finer the fibers, the more it holds.
It didn't just hold it, it sucked it right up wicking up an inch over the water level.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:04 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.