Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-29-2007, 10:46 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1985
Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Chassis: International S1800
Engine: 9.0L Diesel
Rated Cap: 54
Has anyone repaired salvaged components??

Ok...a buddy gave me some salvaged RV components: Stove, heaters, and water heater.

Magic Chef 4 burner stove/oven combination unit. Doesn't look in too bad of shape. Needs a thorough cleaning and it looks like it should work, but I can't find the serial or model number on it - where should I look? It's no where on the outside that I can see, nor in the oven. I'd like to try to find a repair manual on this - ideas? Parts supplier for older ovens?

Does anyone have a source for a repair manual or anything on the following salvaged space heaters:

Suburban Heater
Mdl# NT34S
Code: LAET
Input BTU: 34,000
Output BTU: 27,000
Ser#: 2-1408486
Note: Looks to be in very good condition. Need some info on how to safety check it and install it. I'm thinking of installing it under the bus and ducting the heat up through the floor. Has anyone done this?

Suburban Heater
Mdl# NT16SF
Code: LAFT
Input BTU: 16,000
Output BTU: 12,000
Ser#: 1407213
Note: Not too bad of condition. Looks like it ducts heat out the face plate so this would have to be installed inside the bus somewhere. Not sure if I need this one with the other larger unit. Thoughts?

Water heater Mobile Temp Inc.
Mdl#: G601
Cap: 5.7 gal
Ser#: 131408
Note: Can't find any info about this manufacture. It's likely going on the scrap heap as it looks pretty rough and I'd like to install is an inline flash heater that gives continuous hot water without a tank. Has anyone installed one of these? Thoughts, ideas?

ANY good sources for RV repair and maintenance manuals would be nice.

THANKS

oakspring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 07:38 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1982
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: IH S1723
Engine: IH V345 Gas V8
Rated Cap: 66
Re: Has anyone repaired salvaged components??

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakspring
(snip)...Magic Chef 4 burner stove/oven...but I can't find the serial or model number on it - where should I look?...(unsnip)
If there is an access panel on the back, remove it and look for a manufacturers ID plate. Most stove/oven combo's have one located there on the inside of the panel itself, or easily visible just inside the compartment the panel covers along with a schematic / component diagram. Sorry I'm no help on the other stuff...
Old 06-27-2007, 06:01 AM   #3
Skoolie

Re: Has anyone repaired salvaged components??

The stove is definitely worth repairing. The only repairs I've had to make to mine was replacing the thermostat sensor, a common part and relatively easy to do....I had put too large a turkey in my oven and kinked the tube. Took about an hour to fix.

The water heaters are bulletproof, just make sure they're not rusty inside. Replace the sacrificial anode, avaialble at any RV store or catalog supplier for less then $10.

The furnace you should check for burn-through of the internal sheetmetal......usually not a problem, since few folks used their RV furnaces much anyway.
The electronic controls on some RV furnaces are pricy; look into a kit that relocates the expensive (and heat-sensitive) control panel to a cooler location....RV supplier catalogs have the kits.

Many RV books cover appliance repair and maintenance. A little library work will pay big dividends, and give peace of mind.